All Vanguard accounts under one login?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jpark1982

All Vanguard accounts under one login?

Post by jpark1982 »

After much discussion with my wife as to why we have so many accounts (I'll admit to having many smaller accounts at different companies more so to try and find the perfect setup), I made a concession to consolidate everything as simply as possible.

In terms of banking and credit cards we've decided on Chase for convience and rewards and now it comes to investments. If we decide to go with everything at Vanguard directly, is it possible to have all our accounts under a single login? I know most firms will allow you to have a spouse sign a trading authorization or power of atyorney so that takes care of our IRAs but in terms of a taxable account and even a future 529, for those that have all of these, do they reflect and are they fully functional under one login?

I asked TDAmeritrade and even though they service their own 529 plan, it would require a seperate login and cannot link to a main account. What I'm looking for is to be able to fund, transfer, and purchase all from a single login. I dont really care about bells and whistles since I'll be making weekly contributions to each account of $100 ($400 a week into the 4 accounts) I just want to simply everything if possible so my OCD doesn't have me logging into multiple accounts on a constant basis.
sscritic

Re: All Vanguard accounts under one login?

Post by sscritic »

You can grant rights to a spouse or anyone else. It's called "agent authorization" at Vanguard.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/litera ... _mode=true
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

J Park:

We have all our mutual funds with Vanguard direct (we gave up brokers long ago). We have ONE log-in statement for all accounts (taxable and IRAs; joint and individual) which I check once or twice a year. Couldn't be simpler for ourselves, and when the time comes, for our care-givers and heirs.

I have been reading a book by former Wall Street Journal columnist, Jonathan Clements. He recommends using only one fund company.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

A few weeks ago I finally got around to having my wife and I each give each other "agent authorization" at Vanguard. It works like a charm. I wish I'd done it ages ago.

We each keep our own login, but both of us see and can transact on the others' accounts.

We gave each other "transact authority," not "full authority," on the theory that "transact authority" was all we wanted or needed.

To those wondering why it's better than just impersonating each other, i.e. sharing passwords, when you do that you are constantly "living a lie" if you need to talk to a Vanguard rep, and encountering awkward situations like Vanguard saying that my own personal computer is not recognized, getting a security question, not knowing for sure how my wife capitalized or punctuated the city where we honeymooned--it wasn't "Truth or Consequences, New Mexico" but that's the sort of name--and wondering if I'd get the account locked if I gave too many wrong answers.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ClaireTN

Post by ClaireTN »

sscritic wrote:You can grant rights to a spouse or anyone else. It's called "agent authorization" at Vanguard.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/litera ... _mode=true
I'll be darned. The things you learn on this forum. My spouse and I just did this - easy as can be. Thanks!
mhc

Post by mhc »

Jpark,

I have my IRA, my wife's IRA, our taxable, and our children'ts 529 and ESA accounts all under one login. My wife has given me access to manage her IRA directly. I have our Vanguard account linked to our local checking account. I can do everything I need from the one Vanguard login. I have a Vanguard Brokerage Account, but I have never used it.

I also have my Fidelity work related accounts, local checking, online money market, ... linked to my Vanguard account so that I can see all of my assets on a single page. It is nice to see everything in one view to make sure everything is kosher.
tonsofthorns

Post by tonsofthorns »

Great Post...

Just gave myself assess to my wife's accounts, so I can see them on my login. Just took a few minutes online.

Question: My daughters Coverdell ESA is owned my my wife. It says I can see this account on my login but will not be able to make any changes to it under my login. Is there a way around this?
Grandpaboys

Post by Grandpaboys »

MHC

I also have my Fidelity work related accounts, local checking, online money market, ... linked to my Vanguard account so that I can see all of my assets on a single page. It is nice to see everything in one view to make sure everything is kosher.

Do you put these accounts under Other Assets and then you update manually ?
Good Day | GP
Trebor

Post by Trebor »

Thanks. I did not know about that. Great help.
TINSTAAFL
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

tonsofthorns wrote:
Just gave myself assess to my wife's accounts, so I can see them on my login. Just took a few minutes online.
Wow. How did you do that? I'd like to give myself access to your accounts.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

nisiprius wrote: To those wondering why it's better than just impersonating each other, i.e. sharing passwords, when you do that you are constantly "living a lie" if you need to talk to a Vanguard rep, and encountering awkward situations like Vanguard saying that my own personal computer is not recognized, getting a security question, not knowing for sure how my wife capitalized or punctuated the city where we honeymooned--it wasn't "Truth or Consequences, New Mexico" but that's the sort of name--and wondering if I'd get the account locked if I gave too many wrong answers.
This "problem" can be avoided very simply by not lying to anyone because there is nothing wrong with using your wife's login and password with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with telling Vanguard you are doing that if necessary. Therefore, I don't agree with your assertion that you are "living a lie" when you login to your wife's account. You are accessing her account with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with that. The only benefit I can see to using the agent authorization approach is that you can see both accounts using one login, on one screen.
osho

Post by osho »

mhc wrote:Jpark,

Did you link it to your Vanguard account through "Outside investments" feature? I have my employer provided 401(k) on Fidelity and would like to monitor it on my Vanguard account page as part of one portfolio but during set-up one has to manually enter the number of shares held in each fund. So, it can't update #shares automatically to reflect my monthly contribution and company match in future then....is that correct? If so, it's not really that useful IMO.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Grandpaboys wrote:MHC

Do you put these accounts under Other Assets and then you update manually ?
I allow auto update. I set up outside investments that link into my account page. All the investments auto-populate and auto-update daily.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

This will not apply to everyone (especially husbands and wives): The only disadvantage to being an agent on multiple accounts is that you need to use care when initiating some transactions. I am an agent for my mother's Vanguard account. When I start a transaction, I may need to be alert to select the right bank account (hers vs. mine) for ACH transactions and the right VBS account (ditto).
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Yes, you can have one login to view all accounts with Vanguard directly.

I believe you and your spouse have to complete the Vanguard agents forms. These forms can be obtained from Vanguard's website.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
lethean46

Post by lethean46 »

[quote="mptfan"][quote="nisiprius"]
To those wondering why it's better than just impersonating each other, i.e. sharing passwords, when you do that you are constantly "living a lie" if you need to talk to a Vanguard rep, and encountering awkward situations like Vanguard saying that my own personal computer is not recognized, getting a security question, not knowing for sure how my wife capitalized or punctuated the city where we honeymooned--it wasn't "Truth or Consequences, New Mexico" but that's the sort of name--and wondering if I'd get the account locked if I gave too many wrong answers.[/quote]
This "problem" can be avoided very simply by not lying to anyone because there is nothing wrong with using your wife's login and password with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with telling Vanguard you are doing that if necessary. Therefore, I don't agree with your assertion that you are "living a lie" when you login to your wife's account. You are accessing her account with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with that. The only benefit I can see to using the agent authorization approach is that you can see both accounts using one login, on one screen.[/quote]

An additional benefit is that IF you need to call VG or VBS to ask a question or to execute a transaction on the spouse's account? You can do so ONLY IF you are a named agent on the spouse's account. The VG rep can verify in an instant whether or not you are an agent on the account.

My husband I and are both agents for each others accounts. I am also an agent on a friend's account. All accounts are accessible with one login, including friend's account. Very nice. Most accounts are linked to our outside checking account. Easy.

ML
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have agent authorization to view my parent's Vanguard account. As I'm also helping them with their finances, the access allows me to keeping an eye on things and will step in if they go astray.

The only annoyance is that you need to configure your views to separate the accounts.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

Warren Buffett has said many times that he and Charlie Munger have learned to do business only with people they like, trust, and admire, because they have never made a good deal with a bad person. Good rule, I think. I like, trust, and admire TSP, USAA, and Vanguard. . . up to a point. So, wife and I divide our investments among them. Were it necessary, we would choose any one, but it's not necessary, so we divide. Might be overly cautious, but we're cautious people.
Harry at Bradenton
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

osho wrote:
mhc wrote:Jpark,

Did you link it to your Vanguard account through "Outside investments" feature? I have my employer provided 401(k) on Fidelity and would like to monitor it on my Vanguard account page as part of one portfolio but during set-up one has to manually enter the number of shares held in each fund. So, it can't update #shares automatically to reflect my monthly contribution and company match in future then....is that correct? If so, it's not really that useful IMO.
My wife and I both have accounts at Vanguard and she has an IRA, and Brokerage at Fidelity, and also a 401k at Fidelity.
We can link the Fidelity accounts except the 401k which has to be entered manually undrr "others"
Topic Author
jpark1982

Post by jpark1982 »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it just strengthens my decision to go with Vanguard and to stop opening so many accounts. I just recently opened one up at TDAmeritrade to see how filing my portfolio with ETFs would go and the $200 cash bonus offer I saw a promotion for certainly wasn't too shabby sounding but now I read that they changed the terms to be preselected clients and one I read on other forums that they're not confident that they'll get it since there's no actual place to sign up.

So instead of playing games with other options, I'm just going to go with Vanguard directly for all our accounts. I'll get the account opening process started tomorrow. Its also nice to see that this authorization option is available directly online it seems without having to sign and mail in forms like everyone else seems to.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Thanks for this info. I opened up a Roth IRA for my wife recently. I called Vanguard to see how I could see her account when I log into mine, and the rep told me it wasn't possible, and I would have to log into each account seperately for security purposes.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Go Blue 99 wrote: I opened up a Roth IRA for my wife recently.
I just love this stuff. Someone opened an INDIVIDUAL retirement account for another person. Did you forge her signature?
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:This "problem" can be avoided very simply by not lying to anyone because there is nothing wrong with using your wife's login and password with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with telling Vanguard you are doing that if necessary. Therefore, I don't agree with your assertion that you are "living a lie" when you login to your wife's account. You are accessing her account with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with that. The only benefit I can see to using the agent authorization approach is that you can see both accounts using one login, on one screen.
You have a responsibility under Vanguard's online fraud policy to not share your password with anyone. If you share your password with anyone, then Vanaguard's blanket commitment to reimburse you in the case of fraud is void:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/S ... ontent.jsp

Hence one benefit of using agent authorization is better financial security against online fraud.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

sscritic wrote:
Go Blue 99 wrote: I opened up a Roth IRA for my wife recently.
I just love this stuff. Someone opened an INDIVIDUAL retirement account for another person. Did you forge her signature?
When I was married, I would routinely sign my wife's signature to documents, including checks and account applications. (By the way, a handwritten signature is often no longer required to open accounts online) Of course, she knew I was doing it, and I had her permission. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong wit this, and it is certainly not a forgery, because forgery is defined as follows.... "Forgery consists of filling in blanks on a document containing a genuine signature, or materially altering or erasing an existing instrument. An underlying intent to defraud, based on knowledge of the false nature of the instrument, must accompany the act."

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/forgery

Neither my wife nor I ever had an intent to defraud anyone, and no one was ever defrauded. Therefore, my actions were not forgery.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan,

Password sharing violates Vanguard's terms and conditions of use:
You agree to use this Site to access only those accounts on which you are authorized to act, and you agree to use your own user names, logins, passwords, and security questions and answers when accessing accounts on which you are authorized to act. You agree not to obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorized access to such parts of or features on this Site, or to any other protected Materials or information, through any means not intentionally made available to you by Vanguard.
https://institutional.vanguard.com/VGAp ... conditions
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

There is another issue with this approach to "family investing." I often see threads by males who are aging and are worrying how to protect their wives from making mistakes with investments after a lifetime of the male making all the decisions (and presumably signing documents for the wife, opening accounts for the wife, etc.). If you want your other half to be financially competent, let them act on their own.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

When I was once on the phone with Vanguard and learned I couldn't add a bank account linked to her account by viewing her account through me I said "so I just need to log into my wife's account and then follow these steps?" You would have thought I said I was going to rob a bank! I was read the riot act by the Vanguard rep that my wife needed to log into her account and then do this. Of course I agreed, then hung up and logged in myself.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan,
And under some theories, if you're using — if you're accessing someone else's website using their username and password, you might actually violate federal law. ... There was a statute called the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act that was originally intended to stop hackers, but it's written so broadly that it could apply to people who access websites in violation of terms of service agreements — which people that use other people's username and passwords potentially do.
http://www.npr.org/2012/01/23/145650781 ... rd-sharing

Better safe than sorry.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

JeremyM wrote:When I was once on the phone with Vanguard and learned I couldn't add a bank account linked to her account by viewing her account through me I said "so I just need to log into my wife's account and then follow these steps?" You would have thought I said I was going to rob a bank! I was read the riot act by the Vanguard rep that my wife needed to log into her account and then do this. Of course I agreed, then hung up and logged in myself.
You can add a bank account via a full agent authorization. You must have had a limited agent authorization. So you can fix that by printing out a form, filling it in, and getting your wife to sign it, and mailing it, buddy. I did it with my MIL recently. My wife and I have full authorization to my MILs account.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

tadamsmar wrote:
mptfan wrote:...there is nothing wrong with using your wife's login and password with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with telling Vanguard you are doing that if necessary.
You have a responsibility under Vanguard's online fraud policy to not share your password with anyone.
Thanks. I was pretty sure I'd agreed somewhere not to share my password.

I make this distinction: my wife can authorize me to act in her behalf, but my wife cannot authorize me to tell a lie. In this case, Vanguard's agreement is whatever it is; if Vanguard says "you must agree not to reveal the secret Vanguard handshake," I can choose whether to accept the agreement or not, but I can't accept the agreement and then later say "I know I signed that, but it doesn't count because my wife gave me permission to reveal the handshake."

If the context of a signature make it clear that it is literally attesting that my wife personally signed, then I can't sign it. "Honey, I'm due for my mammogram but I'm busy today. Could you please go to the hospital and do it for me? Second floor, imaging center, I'll give you my insurance card and driver's license, just sign my name." I can't do that, she cannot authorize me to do that, because this is a matter in which personal identity is of the essence.

When I am signing on behalf of my wife, in a trivial pro-forma "sign-here" situation, I frequently sign it using the formula "my-initials-FOR-my-wife's-name." I've yet to have a problem with this.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this...
I seems to be the case that of things that are illegal and/or void your rights under civil agreements are not wrong in your personal opinion.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tadamsmar wrote:
I seems to be the case that of things that are illegal and/or void your rights under civil agreements are not wrong in your personal opinion.
To the contrary. It seems to be the case that you conclude that things are illegal when they are not.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tadamsmar wrote:mptfan,
And under some theories, if you're using — if you're accessing someone else's website using their username and password, you might actually violate federal law. ... There was a statute called the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act that was originally intended to stop hackers, but it's written so broadly that it could apply to people who access websites in violation of terms of service agreements — which people that use other people's username and passwords potentially do.
http://www.npr.org/2012/01/23/145650781 ... rd-sharing

Better safe than sorry.
I respectfully disagree with the opinion of the anonymous "NPR staff" who wrote that article. With all due respect, if all it takes is for a reporter to write a story and offer the opinion that something "might" violate a law, then we will have to respectfully disagree that you have provided sufficient authority for your conclusion that something is illegal.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

You agree to use this Site to access only those accounts on which you are authorized to act, and you agree to use your own user names, logins, passwords, and security questions and answers when accessing accounts on which you are authorized to act. You agree not to obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorized access to such parts of or features on this Site, or to any other protected Materials or information, through any means not intentionally made available to you by Vanguard.
If my wife gives me authority to use her username and password, then I am authorized to act on her behalf, and I am complying with this policy.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:
To the contrary. It seems to be the case that you conclude that things are illegal when they are not.
I'm just quoting the experts and the terms of use you agreed to when you set up your Vanguard account.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tadamsmar wrote:
mptfan wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:
I'm just quoting the experts and the terms of use you agreed to when you set up your Vanguard account.
What experts? You have not quoted anyone other than an anonymous "NPR staff". LMAO. :lol:

And regarding the terms of use that you quoted, as I already said, I am in compliance if my wife gives me authorization to use her login and pasword.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:

If my wife gives me authority to use her username and password, then I am authorized to act on her behalf, and I am complying with this policy.
Here is Vanguard's response to the specific issue of sharing your password with your spouse:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1053619
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

nisiprius wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:
mptfan wrote:...there is nothing wrong with using your wife's login and password with her permission, and there is nothing wrong with telling Vanguard you are doing that if necessary.
You have a responsibility under Vanguard's online fraud policy to not share your password with anyone.
Thanks. I was pretty sure I'd agreed somewhere not to share my password.
Wow, nisiprius, you are relying on tadamsmar's interpretation of Vanguard's policies to support your conclusion?
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tadamsmar wrote:
mptfan wrote:

Here is Vanguard's response to the specific issue of sharing your password with your spouse:

Nowhere in that response does Vanguard say that sharing passwords between spouses is a violation of their terms or conditions. Nowhere. Vanguard can "encourage" me to do anything, but that does not mean I am doing anything wrong if I fail to follow their "encouragement."
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:
mptfan wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:
What experts? You have not quoted anyone other than an anonymous "NPR staff". LMAO. :lol:
The expert I quoted is Woodrow Hartzog, assistant professor of privacy law and online agreements at Samford University

The quote was not from NPR staff.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:
tadamsmar wrote:
mptfan wrote:

Nowhere in that response does Vanguard say that sharing passwords between spouses is a violation of their terms or conditions. Nowhere. Vanguard can "encourage" me to do anything, but that does not mean I am doing anything wrong if I fail to follow their "encouragement."
The email was about your responsibilities under Vanguard's online fraud policy. The email says:
Protecting your account is a responsibility that you share with Vanguard.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tadamsmar wrote: The expert I quoted is Woodrow Hartzog, assistant professor of privacy law and online agreements at Samford University

The quote was not from NPR staff.
Fair enough. But the opinion of one assistant professor does not constitute the law. Experts often have different opinions. Also, he concluded by saying... "And so we're still on a very unsettled stage of the law at this point."
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

tadamsmar wrote: The email was about your responsibilities under Vanguard's online fraud policy.
Exactly. It may be true that if I share my password with my spouse, and that sharing leads to a loss, then Vanguard may not be obligated to reimburse me under their fraud policy. However, that email does NOT say that I am not allowed to share my password with my spouse.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Where do all these men find women who can't sign their own names? Why are men marrying women who can't sign their own names? I really never had any interest in a woman who couldn't sign her own name. I married twice, and both of my wives could sign their own name.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

sscritic wrote:Where do all these men find women who can't sign their own names? Why are men marrying women who can't sign their own names? I really never had any interest in a woman who couldn't sign her own name. I married twice, and both of my wives could sign their own name.
I never said my wife couldn't sign her own name.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

sscritic wrote:Where do all these men find women who can't sign their own names? Why are men marrying women who can't sign their own names? I really never had any interest in a woman who couldn't sign her own name. I married twice, and both of my wives could sign their own name.
Apparently some men must have signed for their wife on the marriage certificate. These women can't even manage an X. Terry Shiavo comes to mind...
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

mptfan wrote:

I don't think that's the correct interpretation of Vanguards intent. But it would take a email to Vanguard to decide the matter.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

mptfan wrote:
When she gave you authority to sign for her, did she put it in writing and sign her own name? :)
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

sscritic wrote:
mptfan wrote:
When she gave you authority to sign for her, did she put it in writing and sign her own name? :)
The authorization does not have to be in writing. ;-)