Buying I-Bonds: Possible via VG or Fido?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Saving$

Buying I-Bonds: Possible via VG or Fido?

Post by Saving$ » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:39 am

I see on this board that people are apparently able to buy I-Bonds through their TD Ameritrade accounts. I have searched both the Vanguard and Fidelity websites, but did not find this feature. Do VG and Fido customers need to go through Treasury Direct, or is there some way to do it through the VG or Fido logon that I am missing?

hsv_climber

Re: Buying I-Bonds: Possible via VG or Fido?

Post by hsv_climber » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:47 am

You can buy electronic I-bonds only @ TreasuryDirect.

alanf56

Post by alanf56 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 am

Saving$ wrote:I see on this board that people are apparently able to buy I-Bonds through their TD Ameritrade accounts. I have searched both the Vanguard and Fidelity websites, but did not find this feature. Do VG and Fido customers need to go through Treasury Direct, or is there some way to do it through the VG or Fido logon that I am missing?
You must be confusing TD (Treasury Direct) with TD Ameritrade.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:00 pm

alanf56 wrote:
Saving$ wrote:I see on this board that people are apparently able to buy I-Bonds through their TD Ameritrade accounts. I have searched both the Vanguard and Fidelity websites, but did not find this feature. Do VG and Fido customers need to go through Treasury Direct, or is there some way to do it through the VG or Fido logon that I am missing?
You must be confusing TD (Treasury Direct) with TD Ameritrade.
Or possibly confusing I Bonds (officially: U.S. Savings Bonds, Series I) with Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS).

I Bonds can only be bought electronically (since the demise at the end of 2011 of paper I bonds purchased through banks or credit unions) by individuals using the Treasury Direct online system. There is no "secondary" market for I Bonds, that is, they can't be sold to someone else through a broker or other institution. You simply own them, through Treasury Direct, or you redeem them, also through Treasury Direct.

New TIPS are bought at original auction, like other Treasury bills, notes, and bonds, through a brokerage or through a Treasury Direct account. Pre–existing TIPS can also be bought and sold on the secondary market through brokerages.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Series I savings bonds are not marketable securities. They literally have your name printed on them. They cannot be held in brokerage accounts.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:51 am

nisiprius wrote:Series I savings bonds are not marketable securities. They literally have your name printed on them. They cannot be held in brokerage accounts.
"printed" on them ? With electronic ink now.