Vanguard Exchange Timing

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
pocketplayer

Vanguard Exchange Timing

Post by pocketplayer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:32 am

Generally speaking, how much time does Vanguard take for an online exchange from one fund to another? My exchange was after hours. I assume the price is established next opening day...is this correct or when the exchange is actually processed?

sport

Post by sport » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am

All fund purchases and sales occur at the end of the trading day when the share price is determined. If you place an order after 4:00 Eastern time, the transaction takes place at the end of the next trading day.

Jeff

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 am

It will depend on when the money gets to Vanguard. You get the share NAV that is next determined after the order is received AND the money is available to Vanguard. So if you are doing an exchange from one Vanguard fund held at Vanguard to another Vanguard fund held at Vanguard, then you would get the NAV next determined after your exchange was confirmed.

Since funds only get their NAV determined once at the end of a day, that's the NAV you would get if you placed your order before that 4 pm ET time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:49 am

Exchanges could take a little longer if they are between non Vanguard funds using Vanguard Brokerage Services.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

pocketplayer

Post by pocketplayer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:19 pm

if you are doing an exchange from one Vanguard fund held at Vanguard to another Vanguard fund held at Vanguard, then you would get the NAV next determined after your exchange was confirmed...Since funds only get their NAV determined once at the end of a day, that's the NAV you would get if you placed your order before that 4 pm ET time.
If I understand correctly, it is now 4:19pm in NY. I placed order before market opened online today and it is still pending.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:24 pm

They only update your account around 3 am NY time, so you will have to look after then to see what happened.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 pm

If you are talking open ended mutual funds you should not worry about the timing just that you get the NAV that is proper--which is the NAV next calculated after receipt of your money or phone order that is in good order.

If you put a valid order in at 3pm you should get the NAV that is calculated at 4pm that day.

hollowcave2

fund exchange

Post by hollowcave2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:46 pm

My exchange was after hours. I assume the price is established next opening day...is this correct or when the exchange is actually processed?
For an exchange between 2 mutual funds already in a personal account at Vanguard, in your situation, you would get the closing prices of the funds on the next trading day.

So if you place an order after hours on Monday, you would get the price of the funds at the close of the market on Tuesday.

pocketplayer

Post by pocketplayer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Thank you...this was indeed the case as noted in the above post.

I am not a "timer" so this is new to me...always a buy and hold investor and ventured outside my personal box because I did have some cash reserves or gun powder as noted with my Bogle peers. :)

robwny

Post by robwny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 am

So if I do an exchange between 2 mutual funds at 3 pm today do I get that price for the next morning ?

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:20 am

robwny wrote:So if I do an exchange between 2 mutual funds at 3 pm today do I get that price for the next morning ?
East coast or West coast? We in the West are discriminated against as the markets are open three fewer hours for us, closing at 1 p.m. :)

robwny

Post by robwny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:31 am

Yes east coast, so I can exchange a fund before close and then have the new one for the start of the next day

mas

Post by mas » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am

robwny wrote:So if I do an exchange between 2 mutual funds at 3 pm today do I get that price for the next morning ?
Mutual funds only get priced at the close of the day (4PM eastern), so you will never get the opening price for the morning. If Vanguard already has your money (an exchange), and you submit it at 3PM eastern today, then you should get the price at today's close. It may take some time for Vanguard to display the new holding, and what its price was, though. I believe that delay was throwing off pocketplayer.

pocketplayer

Post by pocketplayer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm

My initial exchange went through...any idea what is going on here now;
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 15#1145315

I am still trying to figure this out.