Poll: Used Morningstar X-ray tool on your portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Have you used the M* X-ray tool?

Yes, I have used one of the M* X-ray tools
45%
Yes, I have used one of the M* X-ray tools
45%
No, I have not used either of the M* X-ray tools
6%
No, I prefer to use another asset allocation discovery tool
4%

Total votes: 116

Topic Author
livesoft

Poll: Used Morningstar X-ray tool on your portfolio?

Post by livesoft »

(Careful, there is more than one No answer!)

I often recommend that one use the M* Portfolio X-ray or Instant X-ray tools on their portfolio in order to see or confirm their asset allocation. I am not alone in that recommendation.

I was wondering if folks actually have used one or the other of these tools, hence a poll.

I do know some folks use the Vanguard Portfolio Watch tool despite its defects. Also some brokers have tools such as Schwab and Fidelity.

Thanks in advance for your participation!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
birdy

Post by birdy »

Yes have used M*. Have used the Vanguard tools also but like M* better.
birdy
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

Unfortunately over half of my portfolio can't be analyzed with it (the 401k).

Instead I have a spreadsheet where I take each asset I'm invested in and break it down along various axis (location/size/value/etc) I care about. I then have another spreadsheet where I combine portions of various axises to create my slices (i.e., a Domestic Small Value slice is a combination). I can then see how much of each slice is in each of my funds, and adjust each funds portfolio allocation so that I can reach true targets for each slice (or at least as close as reasonably possible).

Also lets me do things that M* can't. Like give additional weight to my Roth monies.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I have used the free M* x-ray tool.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
texas_archer

Post by texas_archer »

I actually pay for the premium service to M* and use alot of their tools. I really like their montly portfolio emails.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I did use instant to figure out the style of the old small-cap value fund we used to have in our 401(k). When I had asked questions about it, they sent me a PDF of the holdings.

Brian
Last edited by Default User BR on Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

very useful in setting up asset allocation for both present and future.
marty
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

Yes, through the T. Rowe Price website.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

No.

I use Vanguard Portfolio Tracker and I like it.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

hsv_climber wrote:No.

I use Vanguard Portfolio Tracker and I like it.
M* offers quite a bit for free (portfolio manager is really great), and I no longer pay for the premium service.

I, too, find Vanguard's portfolio tracker service acceptable for my needs, since it allows linkage to outside accounts, including my kids' state sponsored 529s.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Vanguard's portfolio tracker service works just fine for me.
Regal 56

Post by Regal 56 »

Use the Morningstar X-ray tool all the time. I've also set up several benchmark portfolios, so I can see how my real slice-and-dice portfolio compares to them.