That embarrassingly cheap thing you do....

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
frugalhen

That embarrassingly cheap thing you do....

Post by frugalhen »

Fess up, now is the time to tell the one thing you do that is so cheap your wife/husband is, was, or has been embarrassed to be around you! :oops: [/url]
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
fishndoc

Post by fishndoc »

Haven't gone camping in a while, but in the past, instead of packing and taking along an entire bottle of ketchup, mustard and mayo, as well as salt and pepper, I would just stop by the local fast food and grab a handful of each in the free packets.
:oops:
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle
matthylland

Post by matthylland »

Always nudge that A/C a few degrees higher after she sets it where she wants it.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

I'm pretty infamous with my wife for picking the ugliest plaid shorts from the $3 and below clearance rack at Boscov's and wearing them to family functions, church, pretty much everywhere. Seems the uglier they are the more I like them. :)
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

When I was working I would make a teabag last for two cups of tea at the office. Hey, I wanted out of there.

Now, maybe it's that I'm happy with one TV and one desktop computer and one landline. My house is a tech museum.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I never buy anyone any gifts nor send cards.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Coat myself with a light mahogany wood stain and rinse off after 5 minutes, rather than go to a tanning salon.
Buy t-shirts at Goodwill for a dime, then re-donate - cheaper than washing/drying myself.
Save big projects needing power tools until my neighbor goes on vacation and I can run my extension over to the outlet on the side of his house.
Get up early, read neighbor's paper, refold and put back in his driveway before he gets up.
I'll stop before I write about the things that make me look insanely cheap. ;)
Topic Author
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

prudent wrote:Coat myself with a light mahogany wood stain and rinse off after 5 minutes, rather than go to a tanning salon.
Buy t-shirts at Goodwill for a dime, then re-donate - cheaper than washing/drying myself.
Save big projects needing power tools until my neighbor goes on vacation and I can run my extension over to the outlet on the side of his house.
Get up early, read neighbor's paper, refold and put back in his driveway before he gets up.
CLassic! LOL :lol:
rustymutt

Re: That embarrassingly cheap thing you do....

Post by rustymutt »

frugalhen wrote:Fess up, now is the time to tell the one thing you do that is so cheap your wife/husband is, was, or has been embarrassed to be around you! :oops: [/url]
I like to walk out of restaurants when we've sat for over 6 minutes without water being served. I did it Thursday at a pizza place in Gunnison Colorado.
The waiter told us he'd get our waters while we were making up our minds.
Will I did make up my mind right as he bought the water out at the 9 minute mark of our wait. I was gathering up family and leaving just as he arrived. The bill would have been around $50 for pizza and salads. He'd have made $7 on a tip. Oh well I hope he tries harder next time. This doesn't embarrass me as much as it does my wife.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
empb

Post by empb »

rustymutt wrote:
frugalhen wrote:Fess up, now is the time to tell the one thing you do that is so cheap your wife/husband is, was, or has been embarrassed to be around you! :oops: [/url]
I like to walk out of restaurants when we've sat for over 6 minutes without water being served. I did it Thursday at a pizza place in Gunnison Colorado.
Will I did make up my mind right as he bought the water out at the 9 minute mark of our wait. I was gathering up family and leaving just as he arrived. The bill would have been around $50 for pizza and salads. He'd have made $7 on a tip. Oh well I hope he tries harder next time. This doesn't embarrass me as much as it does my wife.
I'm embarrassed just having read that. What exactly is important about '6' minutes?

Also, do you give anyone at your table the choice of ordering anything but water? Or do you order for them?
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Are we restricting this thread to legal things?
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

rustymutt wrote:
Seems to me, if you dont like the water service, you shouldnt order the meal.
Harold

Post by Harold »

empb wrote:
rustymutt wrote:
I'm embarrassed just having read that. What exactly is important about '6' minutes?

Also, do you give anyone at your table the choice of ordering anything but water? Or do you order for them?
$7/$50 = 14%, presuming sub-6min water service. So maybe the waiter did make an assessment, presuming a 20% tipper may have been waiting.

I totally get the principle though. Unnecessarily waiting for something as basic as water (and I presume others are allowed to order other beverages) can be very annoying and an ominous portent of how the rest of the meal may go. I wouldn't have thought to clock the waitstaff or come up with a 6 minute "rule" however.
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

Peeing on the compost pile. Rule #37 - Never waste good N(nitrogen), plus it saves water.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

When you buy a drink (that doesn't have refills), ask for the drink with no ice then ask for ice in a separate cup. You get much more bang for the buck.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Helloeeze

Post by Helloeeze »

frugalhen wrote:
prudent wrote:Coat myself with a light mahogany wood stain and rinse off after 5 minutes, rather than go to a tanning salon.
CLassic! LOL :lol:
You're too late.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I donate blood and use money to get hair cut(buzz cut) and make it last to date to give blood again
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Johm221122 wrote:I donate blood and use money to get hair cut(buzz cut) and make it last to date to give blood again
Is your barber a vampire?
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

This thread is spooky...
hudson

Post by hudson »

prudent wrote:Buy t-shirts at Goodwill for a dime, then re-donate - cheaper than washing/drying myself.
)
Are you JACK REACHER?

"As a drifter, the only possessions he carries are money, a foldable toothbrush and, after 9/11, an expired passport. He wears his clothing for 2–3 days before discarding it, usually purchasing new clothing cheaply from chain outlets."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher
afan

Post by afan »

I used to buy used ties, could not utell my wife. Then I found a place that sells $3 ties. They look fine. And I was so excited, I told her. She did not get it.

Cheap restaurants, always, even for big events. Oooolllld car.

Do it myself for almost everything.

All legal and honest, none embarrassing.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

empb wrote:
rustymutt wrote:

So you embarrass easily and like slow service? lol
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

SP-diceman wrote:
rustymutt wrote:
Seems to me, if you dont like the water service, you shouldnt order the meal.
We didn't order a meal. Read the post again.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Leaving after 6 minutes seems like curtting off your nose to spite your face. How long does it take you get to another restaurant, get seated, and get your water served? 20 min? 30?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Harold wrote:
empb wrote:
rustymutt wrote:

$7/$50 = 14%, presuming sub-6min water service. So maybe the waiter did make an assessment, presuming a 20% tipper may have been waiting.

I totally get the principle though. Unnecessarily waiting for something as basic as water (and I presume others are allowed to order other beverages) can be very annoying and an ominous portent of how the rest of the meal may go. I wouldn't have thought to clock the waitstaff or come up with a 6 minute "rule" however.
It's not a 6 minute rule, (but could be) but as Thursday they weren't busy at this time and after 9 minutes I just had it. I was quite thirsty at the time. We ended up at Pizza hut and had water as we sat down. That's the service I enjoy. And the waitress got a very generous tip.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

This no longer applies, but in the past I would be in bed, getting to sleep, when I suddenly realized that the VHS/DVD was due back at the store. I would get up, get dressed, and drive it to the store to avoid the $2 late fee.
Dingle

Post by Dingle »

afan wrote:I used to buy used ties, could not utell my wife. Then I found a place that sells $3 ties. They look fine. And I was so excited, I told her. She did not get it.

Cheap restaurants, always, even for big events. Oooolllld car.

Do it myself for almost everything.

All legal and honest, none embarrassing.
I don't get it either. :)
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

When you buy a drink (that doesn't have refills), ask for the drink with no ice then ask for ice in a separate cup. You get much more bang for the buck.
Instead of that, sometimes I order a drink like iced tea and tell them to go "very easy on the ice"; otherwise, the drink will be mostly ice and little drink.

Sometimes I will order an entree and ask for water at a place like Qdoba; I'll get a cup and fill with water and ice, then I'll get some lemon and lime they have out for free and some sugar or Equal and make my own free lemonade. (For when I don't feel like ordering iced tea). :)
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

I wish I could post anonymously right now.

I have done the same thing with the lemons and sugar at Chipotle Mexican restaurant. I am extremely stringent with about never stealing things, and this always makes me feel bad, but there is no rule about using the ingredients at the drink counter, and I made a purchase, so, I try not to feel bad about it. I only use one lemon wedge and one sugar packet.

I have reused Kleenex. Blow my nose, not much in there, use it again a while later.

Only use half a cup of laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, etc.

Tear off the moldy part of the bagle, eat the rest.

Use eggs a month after the "Sell By" date.

Give my dog week old leftovers (pasta and the like) so I don't have to feed him as much dog food. He's happy, I have more money.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

OnFire wrote:I wish I could post anonymously right now.

I've stopped doing that. I got violently sick one time having soup that was probably spoiled. I just couldn't get myself to toss it!
Taylor Larimore

Remembering Dad

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Frugalhen:

One time when I was a teenager, our family was driving through Tennessee. We stopped at a local restaurant for dinner. There was a small band playing loud, bad music.

My dad walked up to the band leader and offered him money to stop playing until we left. The band leader took the money.

We enjoyed peaceful silence for awhile but eventually the band started playing again. Dad said, "Let's get our money back." I was embarrassed and apprehensive--but the band leader gave dad his money back.

Dad was like that. I miss him.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
frugalhen

Re: Remembering Dad

Post by frugalhen »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Frugalhen:

One time when I was a teenager, our family was driving through Tennessee. We stopped at a local restaurant for dinner. There was a small band playing loud, bad music.

My dad walked up to the band leader and offered him money to stop playing until we left. The band leader took the money.

We enjoyed peaceful silence for awhile but eventually the band started playing again. Dad said, "Let's get our money back." I was embarrassed and apprehensive--but the band leader gave dad his money back.

Dad was like that. I miss him.
that's great! Sounds like the old "do you take requests? Stop!"

:wink:
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Johm221122 wrote:I donate blood and use money to get hair cut
I don't think "donate" means what you think it means.
cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 »

I have done the same thing with the lemons and sugar at Chipotle Mexican restaurant. I am extremely stringent with about never stealing things, and this always makes me feel bad, but there is no rule about using the ingredients at the drink counter, and I made a purchase, so, I try not to feel bad about it. I only use one lemon wedge and one sugar packet.

I have reused Kleenex. Blow my nose, not much in there, use it again a while later.

Only use half a cup of laundry detergent, dishwasher soap, etc.

Use eggs a month after the "Sell By" date.

Give my dog week old leftovers (pasta and the like) so I don't have to feed him as much dog food. He's happy, I have more money.
*I* eat the week old leftovers. However I won't touch it at the first sign of mold.
Boglemama

Post by Boglemama »

I do so many things that most people would consider cheap, that some of them I don't even realize about. Some ones that I'm aware of are:

-Order a kid's size drink instead of regular (the markup on fountain beverages is insane)
-Save ketchup packets instead of buying a bottle. (We use ketchup MAYBE once a month)
-Buy a specific brand of organic laundry detergent where you are supposed to punch a hole in the container in order for it to flow quickly. I don't and hubby is too impatient to wait long and so he uses so much less detergent! (Don't tell him)
-Make double/triple meals so that I only cook once and freeze enough for another meal, then freeze whatever is left for hubby's lunches. Extremely time efficient as I cook once and we eat multiple times!
-Buy TONS of something when it is on sale if it is non-perishable and we use it often (the amount of pasta in our cabinets now is intimidating)
-Bargain often. Did you know that most big box stores (Lowes/HD) will take offers on scratch and dent or clearance items?
-The list goes on...
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

When I'm traveling on business trips and my mouse's battery is low, I just switch it with the battery in my room's remote control, instead of wasting time and money to go outside to buy them.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

rustymutt wrote:It's not a 6 minute rule, (but could be) but as Thursday they weren't busy at this time and after 9 minutes I just had it. I was quite thirsty at the time. We ended up at Pizza hut and had water as we sat down. That's the service I enjoy. And the waitress got a very generous tip.
I would wait a lot of minutes for water in lieu of having to eat at Pizza Hut. They honestly make the world's worst pizza, I have no idea how they are so successful.

I don't spend a lot of money on housing and transportation, that's where you can save real money. Most frugal "tricks" add up to insignificant amounts of money.
Harold

Post by Harold »

OnFire wrote:Use eggs a month after the "Sell By" date.
I've posted on this before:

Eggs don't go bad -- I've eaten them well over a year after the Sell By date. Not out of frugality, but out of a desire to not waste things. (And as I look at it, the Sell By date doesn't include a year, so if you wait long enough, the eggs aren't even expired.)

Evaporation occurs through the shell, so a 1 1/2 yr old hard boiled egg is only like half an egg, hence you lose quantity/quality by waiting though. If one worries about rotten eggs, that's bacterial from the hen -- if it was going to rot, the bacteria has always been present, even before the Sell By date.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Reading BH.org for entertainment
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” ― Yogi Berra
mikep

Post by mikep »

Switched to DirecTV and noticed the 3 months free HBO/cinemax/starz package for $45 per month, on statement as a $45 charge and $45 credit. Canceled this but the $45 credit is still there and enough to knock out my $42 bill.. so getting paid $3 for a month of DirecTV. :)

The guideline I use is:
Frugal = saving money
Cheap = saving money and hurts someone else economically.

I would say DirecTV is not hurting so this is frugal.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Another one.

When I go to starbucks, I would ask for tall coffee with a grande cup. That way I don't have to pour out coffee to make room for cream.
Boglemama

Post by Boglemama »

Oh! Starbucks! As a treat sometimes, I get a double espresso shot over a grande cup of ice. Then I walk over to the fixins table and add sugar and milk. A half price iced latte!
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Beantown85 wrote:
rustymutt wrote:It's not a 6 minute rule, (but could be) but as Thursday they weren't busy at this time and after 9 minutes I just had it. I was quite thirsty at the time. We ended up at Pizza hut and had water as we sat down. That's the service I enjoy. And the waitress got a very generous tip.
I would wait a lot of minutes for water in lieu of having to eat at Pizza Hut. They honestly make the world's worst pizza, I have no idea how they are so successful.

I don't spend a lot of money on housing and transportation, that's where you can save real money. Most frugal "tricks" add up to insignificant amounts of money.
We order a special pizza made our way with thin crispy crust. Extra cheese, jalapenos, and Italian sausage. It's good pizza for $12 a large one. I'm as rich as you. We also make our own pizzas at home, and they are better.
amdmaxx

Post by amdmaxx »

Bring my own water bottle to Chipotle. Take some of their plastic utencils for later use.
Bring filtered water from work's fountain for home use
Charge cell phone @ work
Bring cereal to work and using milk in company fridge for breakfast meal.
Did that soft drink and separate cup for ice
Fill up gas when it's a bit colder/denser (early in AM or late at night)
Took a $2 bus (2 hour ride) from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach instead of spending $50 on a taxi.
Raid CVS//Walgreens weekly if there are freebies.
Get a lot of free samples from various sites
Use lots of coupons

There are other options:
Take showers in the gym
Last edited by amdmaxx on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bru

Post by bru »

At a restaurant my father will ask for lemon wedges to make his "lemonade". If the lemon was available I wouldn't mind but he specifically asks for it.

As for me, I do many of the things mentioned here. Tea bags used multiple times. When I brew coffee I use half the recommened amount (still tastes fine to me). We can make a pair of pull-ups last multiple days.

I consider myself frugal, not necessarily cheap.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I'll admit to the following:

1. I take home the shampoo, lotion, etc. from hotels so I don't have to buy my own. Also, at Holiday Inns, if you tell the front desk you forgot your shaving cream, toothbrush, etc. they will give you a new one for free. I intentionally leave one of these items at home and get one from them every time.

2. When playing golf, I am a "ball hawk", meaning I am always looking for them in the woods, deep rough, etc. I know all of the good places to find them at my home course. The old/scuffed ones I use for backyard practice. The like-new ones I play. I play 100+ rounds a year and haven't bought a golf ball since the late 1990s. I don't play balls that have been in water hazards though, or low-end models.

3. At restaurants I like, but that have what I consider to be overpriced alcohol, I have a drink in my car, brought from home, before going in.

4. Before I had it provided by my employer, when I was traveling for either personal or business reasons, if I needed to use the internet I would drive up to a Starbucks, Panera, or some random person's house and use their wireless internet without getting out of the car.

5. If I get some junk mail or charity solitication that includes a return envelope with an actual stamp on it, I find some way to use it for my own mail. Whether by removing the stamp and putting it on another envelope or pasting the addresses I am using over the pre-printed ones.

6. I once had a period where I got some free first class upgrades on some flights. I kept the glasses and metal utensils given out at mealtime on the flights to use at home. (This was pre-9/11). Yes, I really do have forks and knives that say "Continental Airlines" in my kitchen drawer.

7. I have a company-provided smartphone that I am allowed to use for personal use as well. Most co-workers carry two phones, company and their own, because the company phone isn't cool/latest and greatest/an Iphone. Or they don't want to deal with work stuff during their personal time. So I just use the free company phone for everything (my personal calls total less than 15 minutes a week), and generally only charge it at work. I couldn't care less if some ape in the IT dept. can read my 5 text messages that I send/receive a week.

8. I will send in a mail-in rebate form for pretty much any amount that exceeds the cost of a stamp and envelope.

I will probably think of more later.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

What I consider stealing...

- Taking batteries from the hotel remote
- Taking what amounts to an entire lemon from the freebie bar at a fast food restaurant. One or two slices is fine.
- Taking ketchup packets when you haven't purchased anything or taking more than what is reasonable based on what you have purchased.
- Not paying for the milk that turns an iced espresso into an iced latte or asking for a larger cup than what you have purchased. Milk isn't free.

Your ethics may vary.
Dingle

Post by Dingle »

Frugal is something that only affect you. For example; using a tea bag multiple times or a tissue to blow your nose multiple times.

Cheap is something that affects others. For example; not buying someone a gift or deliberately taking people out to a cheap restaurant.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Free toothpicks at restaurants make my day!
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.