What are you buying now and why?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
260chrisb

What are you buying now and why?

Post by 260chrisb »

I hate this; many VG funds are at their 52 week highs! While I certainly loved buying strong in early 2009 when stuff was cheap it's killing me to buy now! I own about 10 different funds and ETFs in my account currently. So, what are you buying now and why?
Noobvestor

Re: What are you buying now and why?

Post by Noobvestor »

260chrisb wrote:I hate this; many VG funds are at their 52 week highs! While I certainly loved buying strong in early 2009 when stuff was cheap it's killing me to buy now! I own about 10 different funds and ETFs in my account currently. So, what are you buying now and why?
What does your investment policy *say* to buy right now? (That was kind of a trick question - I'm guessing you don't have one from your question).

I'm buying bonds because that's what my IP tells me to do - and I'm pretty happy about it, because they haven't really been going up and should provide some safety if equities take a tumble (because, as you say, equities are up).

http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart ... %2C0%22%7D
Last edited by Noobvestor on Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
texas_archer

Post by texas_archer »

Noobvestor wrote:
260chrisb wrote:I hate this; many VG funds are at their 52 week highs! While I certainly loved buying strong in early 2009 when stuff was cheap it's killing me to buy now! I own about 10 different funds and ETFs in my account currently. So, what are you buying now and why?
What does your investment policy *say* to buy right now? (That was kind of a trick question - I'm guessing you don't have one from your question).

I'm buying bonds because that's what my IP tells me to do - and I'm pretty happy about it, because they haven't really been going up and should provide some safety if equities take a tumble (because, as you say, equities are up).
Same, buying bonds, increaseing my emergency fund, and paying more on my house note.
DA

Post by DA »

We're buying whatever our Investment Policy Statement (IPS) tells us it's time to buy. Do you have an IPS?

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/IPS
Topic Author
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Okay, I'm busted! I don't have an IPS. At least one that is written down, guess I need to work on it.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

The Boglehead philosophy for successful investing

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Chris:

Bogleheads structure a personal and simple, tax-efficient, low-cost, long-term asset allocation plan. They then ignore the media and stay-the-course.

If some of your funds are substantially above your asset allocation plan, it may be time to rebalance back to your plan.
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
namaste

Post by namaste »

I'm also following my IPS, so buying bonds and working on building up the emergency fund.

There's some great info on the wiki including an example of an IPS in terms of how to create one.
Spades

Post by Spades »

I've been buying T-bonds, Ginnie Mae Bonds, and blue chip stock. Like the majority of posters in this thread I think overall the stock market is over valued.

Like Taylor is saying, if you're unhappy with the equity market, you might want to change your asset allocation plan. I know I have. I changed to 85% bonds, 15% equities.
sage1166

Post by sage1166 »

VTHRX--just like I've been doing the last 2 years (when I started). Oh and the C, S, I, and F funds in TSP.
A crowded police docket is the surest of all signs that trade is brisk and money plenty. | -Mark Twain
sparta

Post by sparta »

Treasuries
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

If you have an AA you never need to ask what to buy. All new money has a well-defined place to go.
yakers

Post by yakers »

sage1166 wrote:VTHRX--just like I've been doing the last 2 years (when I started). Oh and the C, S, I, and F funds in TSP.
None of the famed G Fund?

I am retired so not buying much. I just rebalanced, my G fund had crept down to 35% from its target of 40% of my TSP.
JasonR

Post by JasonR »

GammaPoint wrote:If you have an AA you never need to ask what to buy. All new money has a well-defined place to go.
Well, I don't agree. I've got all the bonds I need, according to my IPS and AA. I've got all the emergency fund I need, or so I think. It's not so easy to decide what to do now. Stocks ain't exactly cheap. Don't try to pretend it's easy.

My solution: buy equities and TLH if the market drops. Still, that's not an easy thing to do.
jh

Post by jh »

Last edited by jh on Sat May 07, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

VBMFX, because I'm underweight in bonds.

- Scott
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Total stock market mostly. If things keep going up I'll end up needing to sell stocks and buy bonds.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
rcshouldis

Post by rcshouldis »

Not buying anything right now. I have 20% in cash just sitting there waiting for the right opportunity.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

A little in intermediate bonds and a little in S&P 500, mostly because that's what my 401k has available at acceptable ERs. When one of those passes out of its band, I'll presumably rebalance everything, with buying and selling all over.
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

JasonR wrote:
GammaPoint wrote:If you have an AA you never need to ask what to buy. All new money has a well-defined place to go.
Well, I don't agree. I've got all the bonds I need, according to my IPS and AA. I've got all the emergency fund I need, or so I think. It's not so easy to decide what to do now. Stocks ain't exactly cheap. Don't try to pretend it's easy.

My solution: buy equities and TLH if the market drops. Still, that's not an easy thing to do.
Stocks are more expensive than they were last year but less expensive than they were a couple years back. How are we supposed to know what will happen in the future? My stocks are for the long-term anyway, so if it drops the day after I invest oh well, it'll probably come back up.
Nathan Drake

Post by Nathan Drake »

Stocks trend up over time far more than they trend down.

You cannot time markets.

Invest in the market when you have the available money, based upon your asset allocation plan.

Even if you purchased stocks at their all time highs back in 2007, this will look cheap in retrospect 20 years from now.

I am still buying and staying the course.

By waiting for dips, you lose out on dividends, and research shows that you could miss huge momentum swings. Which is why the best time to invest is always NOW.

Post by 555 »

rcshouldis wrote:"Not buying anything right now. I have 20% in cash just sitting there waiting for the right opportunity."
Stocks may never be this cheap again.
LH

Post by LH »

I buy the same things I have for the past 4 years. Whatever is out of balance, gets the new money.
15 US TSM
15 US SCV
15 US REIT
15 Europe
15 AustraliaAsia
15 Emerging
5 TIPS
5 Bonds

just staying the course.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

The money going into my 401K is buying bonds right now.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

What am I buying, hmmm.....

Total Stk Market
All World - ex US
a sprinkling of Emerging Markets - DFA
Pimco Total Return - a bit more of this due to reallocating recently
Total Bond Market

Paying down house note
Saving for a rainy day in I-bonds come three weeks from now
wts

Post by wts »

S&P 500 and because my IPS wants more international
All World ex-US SCap and TMI

Paying down mortgage.
Spades

Post by Spades »

JasonR wrote:

JasonR, what do you mean by TLH?

Post by 555 »

Spades wrote:"JasonR, what do you mean by TLH?"
Tax Loss Harvesting
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_Loss_Harvesting
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Spades wrote:JasonR, what do you mean by TLH?
TLH = Tax Loss Harvesting

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_Loss_Harvesting

Dang 555....beat me by 1 minute.... :D
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

DCAing into TSM index fund.

The why is because its the best fund out of 403B. Rest are actively managed junk.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
lambdapro

Post by lambdapro »

DCAing into Schwab Fundamental Indexes. Since I am a buyer, I would not mind a bit of retrenchment of the market.
yobria

Post by yobria »

I'd recommend building a position in these valuable commodities:

http://www.bogleheads.org/readbooks.htm

Nick
empb

Post by empb »

Spades wrote:Like Taylor is saying, if you're unhappy with the equity market, you might want to change your asset allocation plan. I know I have. I changed to 85% bonds, 15% equities.
I don't want to speak for him but I strongly suspect that's the opposite of what Taylor's saying.
empb

Post by empb »

JasonR wrote:

That is the point of an IPS and AA. It is easy. It only becomes difficult when you convince yourself that you know something like "stocks ain't exactly cheap".

Either way, it sounds like you're sticking with your plan, even if it's a bit of a struggle. Kudos to you.

EDIT: For the sake fo answering the OP, I'm buying the same stuff I always buy: small-value stocks and short-term treasuries.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Stay the course or make changes?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

empb wrote:
Spades wrote:Like Taylor is saying, if you're unhappy with the equity market, you might want to change your asset allocation plan. I know I have. I changed to 85% bonds, 15% equities.
I don't want to speak for him but I strongly suspect that's the opposite of what Taylor's saying.
Hi empb and Spades:

In my opinion, and I think in Mr. Bogle's opinion also, we structure a personal long-term asset-allocation plan and then stay-the-course.

It's OK to change our asset-allocation plan when our personal situation changes. We don't change our plan based on market forecasts.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Jacobkg

Post by Jacobkg »

Most Vanguard bond funds are not at 52 week highs.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Just watching the compounding.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Van

Post by Van »

I'm dollar cost averaging into:

Wellesley Income Fund
Inflation-Protected Securities
Limited-Term Tax Exempt Municipal Bonds
Intermediate-Term Tax Exempt Municipal Bonds
Total Bond Market Index

I've read some of the arguments against dollar cost averaging, but I'm not gutsy enough to go the lump sum route!
Spades

Post by Spades »

Hey Taylor, I missed that word about rebalancing back to the AA plan. I thought you were recommending to change the AA plan. Thanks to all for letting me know about TLH. I think I need to spend some time trolling through the "boglewiki."
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

Right now I'm paying down my mortgage.
Guest422

Post by Guest422 »

rcshouldis wrote:Not buying anything right now. I have 20% in cash just sitting there waiting for the right opportunity.

Same here waiting for stocks to go down to buy, or if interest rates go up a lot buy bonds, but mostly just letting my emergency fund grow.
"The hardest victory is over self" | Aristotle
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

IPS has me buying more bonds of late, TIPS specifically getting the bulk of it.

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

260chrisb wrote:I hate this; many VG funds are at their 52 week highs!
Spades wrote:Like the majority of posters in this thread I think overall the stock market is over valued.
Do you think the stock market is so high that it won't provide noticeably better returns than bonds in the long run?

If so, with good evidence, then I could understand doing something about it. I think it makes sense to step back for a moment when stocks seem very expensive, and make sure we are doing the right thing by putting so much of our money into them.

But I don't see evidence that stocks are priced for such poor long term returns. Maybe less than average, but I think stocks seem priced for significantly better returns than bonds in the long run. I don't think there's been many times in history where stocks did have the same expected returns as bonds. Early 2000 may have been one of the few.
You can use simple tools like Gordon Equation and/or Earnings Yield to estimate future long term returns from stocks, maybe with help from a book or some old thread(s) here.

The proper Boglehead thing to do clearly is to Stay The Course, and stick to the Asset Allocation, stick to the IPS. Much evidence has shown that investors have destroyed their own wealth by buying and selling, instead of buying and holding, with rebalancing.
novastepp

Post by novastepp »

If you truly do want to invest in the Boglehead style, but feel emotional at times like these, it may help to invest your money with direct deposits or automatic transfers. This should help you abide by your IPS, and helps you maintain your AA.

Oh, and ignore the media.
magneto

Post by magneto »

Building up cash reserves and buying some IL Gilts (UK investment similar to TIPS)

Nominal Bonds still look way off sensible buying levels and may even have started a gentle bear market. Have been a forced seller of Stocks to rebalance AA, however Stocks are showing signs of losing upwards thrust
flowerbuyer

Post by flowerbuyer »

VWITX through automatic monthly investing to reach my AA.
Swamproot

Post by Swamproot »

I'm buying patience. My IPS says I need some large cap value in my Roth, and at 416.66 a month it will take 8 months to get the minimum to open it.

I also put some low limit orders in my taxable account that are having the effect of building up some cash with my monthly contributions. If stocks dive, I can still pick it up closer to the cost basis of my previous buys, and if they don't, I need to build up some cash anyway. The dang dentist says I need a bridge. ;-(
retcaveman

Post by retcaveman »

I've been selling some stock. Plan on buying some I Bonds the end of the month. Otherwise, not buying anything.
"The wants of mortals are containers that can never be filled." (Socrates)
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

After several months implementing a major overhaul and streamlining I finally, as of this morning, have the AA where I want it. :)

So my bi-weekly contributions are going across the board.
YoungLion

Post by YoungLion »

99% is being invested according to my IPS.

My 1% 'take a flyer' money is in cash right now. I am looking at companies that process or make products used in processing waste water from natural gas fracking. That extraction method is increasing and is likely to continue to do so. In many parts of the country, the waste water is stored underground in impermeable rock, but in the natural gas rich Marcellus formation in the northeast, the rock is permeable and the waste water has to be treated. Seems like there is money to be made there.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Are you reinvesting your dividends back into these funds, or is this new money your worried about putting into these fund now the valuation is higher than in 09? I'm glad I don't have lots of cash to do something with right now. I would be in the same fix your in. I would be leaning towards large cap value funds here in the the USA. Only because they have low P/E ratios that seem to be priced correctly based on historic levels. I also like short term AAA industrial bonds right now. Outside of those 2 choices, I wouldn't have a good feeling about EM at all, and maybe some small cap value Developed markets. Keep in mind this is only my opinion. I don't give advise for a living like Rick, and Larry do.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.