Roth conversion question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Abbey

Roth conversion question

Post by Abbey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

DH had a small after-tax IRA (with some earnings) and converted it to a Roth in February this year. Can he still contribute to an after-tax IRA for 2010 & immediately convert it?
I'm concerned about the end-of-year classification of the IRA money and whether or not this will cause some of the previous conversion to be reclassified since a small part of it was tax-deferred.
Thanks very much.
Abbey

White Coat Investor

Re: Roth conversion question

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 am

Abbey wrote:DH had a small after-tax IRA (with some earnings) and converted it to a Roth in February this year. Can he still contribute to an after-tax IRA for 2010 & immediately convert it?
I'm concerned about the end-of-year classification of the IRA money and whether or not this will cause some of the previous conversion to be reclassified since a small part of it was tax-deferred.
Thanks very much.
I believe he can. I did just that with a SEP-IRA this year. I made a 2010 contribution to it in March 2011, and then converted it to a Roth the next day. I'll pay taxes on the conversion in 2011 and get a deduction for 2010.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Abbey

Post by Abbey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks. I couldn't find a reference to exactly what we want to do and don't want to complicate anything. This helps.
Abbey