M* Portfolio Data Old (Sep '10) / 9-Box grid on Vanguard?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ronin

M* Portfolio Data Old (Sep '10) / 9-Box grid on Vanguard?

Post by ronin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 am

I noticed M* portfolio data is as of 09/30/10 which seems a bit dated. While this isn’t a big deal for most fund X-Ray efforts, it poses a challenge when one wants to look at funds that have changed their makeup-up lately such as Vanguard’s Total International Index – more small/mid cap I believe resulting from change in target index..

Does anyone know how often M*'s data is refreshed and/or if there’s a way to see a similar 9-box grid from Vanguard’s web site directly given their data is as of 12/31/10?
Thanks!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 am

It took about one year for M* to even get the info for VFSVX and VSS, so they appeared as "Other" for a long time.

Fidelity Retirement Income Planner had VSS as a US equity for a long time. Maybe it still does.

Vanguard does not do a 9-box for international funds at all.

I think the VGTSX info will get updated around December 2011. You also have to realize that the info for other funds is probably out-of-date or wrong as well. So you have to take any analysis at any time with a large grain of salt. In other words, live with it and don't worry about it.

ronin

Post by ronin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 am

I appreciate your feedback livesoft.

For the Vanguard Total International Stock Index fund, might I be able to determine what the breakdown is for it portfolio (especially interested in the small vs. large aspects). I couldn't find this information on Vanguard's site.

Thanks.

paulob

Post by paulob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 am

The advantage of using a fund's website is that they update the information more frequently (e.g. monthly). I believe M* gets their portfolio info from the fund's annual and seimannual reports. Since this particular fund's annual report is Oct 31st, not Sept 30th, I would pose your question to M*.

(I expect a lag for M*'s portfolio, but don't understand the one month differnce in the date of the portfolio).
Paul

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:23 pm

ronin wrote:For the Vanguard Total International Stock Index fund, might I be able to determine what the breakdown is for it portfolio (especially interested in the small vs. large aspects). I couldn't find this information on Vanguard's site.

For an index, you can use the definition of the index to find the breakdown. Total International is the largest 98% of the market, and M* defines the market to be 70/20/10, so Total International is 72/20/8, and equally split between growth and value.
David Grabiner

paulob

Post by paulob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

grabiner wrote:
ronin wrote:For the Vanguard Total International Stock Index fund, might I be able to determine what the breakdown is for it portfolio (especially interested in the small vs. large aspects). I couldn't find this information on Vanguard's site.

For an index, you can use the definition of the index to find the breakdown. Total International is the largest 98% of the market, and M* defines the market to be 70/20/10, so Total International is 72/20/8, and equally split between growth and value.

The current M* info on the fund differs from that:
88/12/0 and a slight value tilt 40/30/30.
Paul