Advice for Newbies

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
InvestingMom

Advice for Newbies

Post by InvestingMom »

I tried to post this in the reference library but only moderators can do this...so here goes here. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Why not have a sticky or some sort of reminder on the Investing and Personal Finance Forum to have newbies go to the reference library for popular topics?

Also, is there a topic in the reference library for how to allocate funds between taxable and nontaxable accounts? This is one I like to refer back to often?
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

I think a stickied basic distilled-wisdom Boglehead advice post would be a good idea- something along the lines of giving the basics of:

Controlling Costs
Taxable/Non-Taxable Investment Placements
Setting an Asset Allocation Portfolio- Risk/Reward
Diversification

Laura would be a good author for this!
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
pkcrafter

Reference Library

Post by pkcrafter »

I tried to post this in the reference library but only moderators can do this...so here goes here. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
You can provide suggestions for the librarians in a thread by that name in the reference library.

http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic ... 2842#72842
Why not have a sticky or some sort of reminder on the Investing and Personal Finance Forum to have newbies go to the reference library for popular topics?
Good idea.
Also, is there a topic in the reference library for how to allocate funds between taxable and nontaxable accounts? This is one I like to refer back to often?
This topic is needed but does not have its own post. Again, please make these good suggestions to the librarians.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Topic Author
InvestingMom

Thanks Paul

Post by InvestingMom »

Will do.
Unsinkable300

Newby taking advice

Post by Unsinkable300 »

I am a newby, and I think I will take your advice.
Entreprenur at heart.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Sticky post by Laura

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I think a stickied basic distilled-wisdom Boglehead advice post would be a good idea- something along the lines of giving the basics of:

Controlling Costs
Diversification

You may get your wish. Laura is working on something like this now.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Index Fan wrote:I think a stickied basic distilled-wisdom Boglehead advice post would be a good idea- something along the lines of giving the basics of:

Controlling Costs
Diversification

Hi Index Fan:

The post of Laura's that Taylor mentioned should show up on the forum any day now, since the files were just transferred to Alex, the forum Administrator, for posting. Stay tuned!

Regards,

Mel
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Reference Library:

Post by Barry Barnitz »

We do have a Reference Library Topic Post addressing the placement of asset classes in taxable and non-taxable accounts. Please refer to:

Asset Location.

The topic header also contains links to two additional related Topics (taxable account investing and retirement and tax deferred accounts.)

Also, the best access point to Library Topics is the Table of Contents which contains links to all Reference Library Topics.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.