Transfers to Vanguard:

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Nowizard

Transfers to Vanguard:

Post by Nowizard »

We have multiple IRA accounts with three different fund families though most is with Vanguard. One account that holds significant funds is with Dodge and Cox Stock. I have decided to transfer this to Vanguard Total Stock Index to simplify our portfolio, among other reasons.

How would you do that? We can fill out the forms and send them to Dodge and Cox with instructions. The amount of the transfer is possibly large enough that Vanguard would aid in the transfer.

Tim
camper

Post by camper »

I transfered a roth ira from Fidelity to Vanguard. All I did was print and fill out the forms off Vanguard's website and Vanguard did the rest. Be aware there is usually a fee to close out an account.
Here is a link. I believe you may be able to fill the forms out online as well.[/url]
Taylor Larimore

Transfering IRA to Vanguard

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Nowizard:

I have decided to transfer this to Vanguard Total Stock Index to simplify our portfolio, among other reasons.

How would you do that?
It's easy. Vanguard does nearly all the work. Use this link:

Transfer an account

We consolidated all our accounts with Vanguard many years ago. It has proven to be an important way to simplify our lives.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LPSpecial

Ira transfer to Vanguard

Post by LPSpecial »

I also recently transferred an Ira from Fidelity to Vanguard. I started the transfer online through Vanguard's website (as others have shown above), filled out the paperwork online, printed and then got a signature guarantee and mailed the paperwork to Vanguard. Was a very quick painless transfer that only took 10 days to complete after I mailed the paperwork to Vanguard.
:)
guarana

Re: Ira transfer to Vanguard

Post by guarana »

LPSpecial wrote:I also recently transferred an Ira from Fidelity to Vanguard. I started the transfer online through Vanguard's website (as others have shown above), filled out the paperwork online, printed and then got a signature guarantee and mailed the paperwork to Vanguard. Was a very quick painless transfer that only took 10 days to complete after I mailed the paperwork to Vanguard.
was there a fee from the Fidelity end of things?
LPSpecial

Re: Ira transfer to Vanguard

Post by LPSpecial »

guarana wrote:
LPSpecial wrote:I also recently transferred an Ira from Fidelity to Vanguard. I started the transfer online through Vanguard's website (as others have shown above), filled out the paperwork online, printed and then got a signature guarantee and mailed the paperwork to Vanguard. Was a very quick painless transfer that only took 10 days to complete after I mailed the paperwork to Vanguard.
was there a fee from the Fidelity end of things?
It was a partial transfer. I went back and checked my history at Fidelity and they did not charge me a fee. If you transfer everything, they probably do charge a fee.
exigent

Post by exigent »

I wish we could consolidate everything at Vanguard, but we have some pesky employer plans that don't offer Vanguard as an option. At least the alternative is Fidelity, so it's not too bad.
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

Nowizard,

If you are Voyager client or transferring a big $$$ amount then give VG a call and they will assign an advisor to you who would assist you with the transfer.
camper

Post by camper »

I believe Fidelity charged me $50 to close out my account to move it to Vanguard.
allancoleman

Post by allancoleman »

Have done many institute - to - institute transfers , Nowizard , to Vanguard in the past from Schwab , Fidelity , and my personal company 401(k) . And they have all been trouble free to date . Matter of fact , I am planning my next usual annual Roth conversion again next month in September by transfering money from my company 401(k) to my Vanguard Roth account . Vanguard really does make them all very easy . :) . Have never had to talk to a Vanguard rep yet on the phone about any one of these transactions . :!: . And you'll really like Vanguard's " internal " message system that informs you about the progress of any pending transaction with Vanguard . :)
Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Thanks for the responses. I will call Vanguard to see how they can help, hvclimber.

Tim
guarana

Post by guarana »

camper wrote:I believe Fidelity charged me $50 to close out my account to move it to Vanguard.
I just spoke w/a fidelity rep who told me that if I left something in the old account ($50 or greater..), I would not be assessed the $50 fee.

So $50 is not going over the Vanguard either way, I guess I'll try to transfer all but $50 (left in a MMF) to Vanguard and leave the remaining at Fidelity, so it's still 'mine'!
dbr

Post by dbr »

guarana wrote:
camper wrote:I believe Fidelity charged me $50 to close out my account to move it to Vanguard.
I just spoke w/a fidelity rep who told me that if I left something in the old account ($50 or greater..), I would not be assessed the $50 fee.

So $50 is not going over the Vanguard either way, I guess I'll try to transfer all but $50 (left in a MMF) to Vanguard and leave the remaining at Fidelity, so it's still 'mine'!
But to actually spend that $50 ever, you would be assessed a $50 fee.
guarana

Post by guarana »

dbr wrote:
guarana wrote:

But to actually spend that $50 ever, you would be assessed a $50 fee.
well, i'm young so in 40 years, it will not not be $50:)

(yes, small change but i am fee averse..)