International Index Fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
cycleguy29

International Index Fund

Post by cycleguy29 »

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and just started investing using the popular 'Three-fund Portfolio' method. Currently the Total International Index fund is closed to investors (VGTSX). Any other recommendations for an International Index fund, why this is a good choice, and how it compares to VGTSX? Thanks!
muffins14

Re: International Index Fund

Post by muffins14 »

VXUS
IXUS
VTIAX
FTIHX

they all basically the same, minor tax differences and differences between ETF vs mutual fund
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
b42

Post by b42 »

Welcome to the forums!

I believe you want VTIAX - The Admiral share class. I'm guessing the Investor class was closed when the adjusted the fund minimums a few years ago. Admiral share class expense ratios are less.
Varsh

Post by Varsh »

Funny you asked this question. I recently added International as well and I used the FTIHX from Fidelity. It was competitively low cost and an index fund - "Total Market". :sharebeer
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

cycleguy29 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:21 am Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and just started investing using the popular 'Three-fund Portfolio' method. Currently the Total International Index fund is closed to investors (VGTSX). Any other recommendations for an International Index fund, why this is a good choice, and how it compares to VGTSX? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

You got some good answers already. To expand on them, note that Vanguard's VTIAX and VGTSX are actually just different share classes (with different expense ratios) of the same fund.

Also, the Bogleheads' wiki article Three-fund portfolio has a section that describes various options for each of the 3 funds. In particular, refer to the section on Other than Vanguard, Boglehead-style.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :D

Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Investor Shares (VGTSX) is no longer available, except as a component of a target date fund OR a LifeStrategy fund.

You want Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral Shares (VTIAX) which is available for new individual investors.

The two are just different share classes of the same fund.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

welcome to the group.

as was told VTIAX replaced VGTSX.

Another thing you can do depending on the account (taxable/tax deferred/Roth??) and if you want to simplify from three funds to two funds, you could hold a total world stock market index fund (and total bond index fund). Total world stock market index fund is VTWAX and ETF version is VT. That gives you US and International (total in one fund and according to market cap weighting).
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
mary1969

Post by mary1969 »

Perhaps a good time to get into International. VXUS.

According to Charlie Billelo "Over the past 16 years, US stocks have gained 502% vs 104% for international stocks and 65% for Emerging markets.

This is unbelievable. In Feb 2009 Rick Santelli was screaming on CNBC "who is going to buy our debt." It was an epic capitulation on the United States of America. Little did anyone know that it was a generational buying opportunity for US stocks. Feb 2009 was indeed Morning in America.

My crystal ball broke years ago but November 2024 could be the catalyst for International dominance. Just a hunch.
Chv396

Post by Chv396 »

VXUS for my portfolio, VEA for my spouse’s. International ETF’s serve as portfolio diversifiers for us.
“Stay the Course” - My Portfolio (BND, VOO, VT, VXUS) Spouse’s Portfolio (VEA, VGSH, VOO)
Raspberry-503

Post by Raspberry-503 »

VEA should be paired with VWO to match VXUS, but it's not a bad choice