Thank you Bogleheads and my past self

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Thank you Bogleheads and my past self

Post by YeahBuddy »

I just turned 43 and for the first time in my life I'm feeling financial relief, seeing real results from all the saving and investing. We can afford some luxuries now and I want to thank you Bogleheads for our success. And also I'd like to encourage any younger investors to follow the principles endorsed here. This is the formula for success. Like Nike, just do it!!!

Coming from a lower income family, and me not being overly intelligent or much of a go-getter, I followed the successful formula endorsed here of living below your means, investing in low cost index funds, maintaining an EF, paying off higher interest debt, etc. And now, for the first time, life is getting easier. I come from Irish ancestors that immigrated from Ireland and worked hard but never had much. My grandfather worked 3 jobs. He loved us but had to sell back his house to another family member due to financial difficulty. My dad worked 2 jobs but struggled nonetheless. Mom had multiple health issues and she couldn't work. We almost lost our house when the OT went away at the post office. Dad retired eventually but continued to work for 15 years to help pay bills and fix up the house. Dad's still alive and finally stopped working now. The wife and I are able to afford a better lifestyle. And in 20-25 years, we will have, at a worst (disastrous) case scenario $3M, up to a best case but not unreasonable $10M-$15M to retire with comfortably.

So thanks to this site, for the first time in both our family's history, we have been successful, financially secure, and will create generational wealth. :sharebeer
Light weight baby!
Clever_Username

Re: Thank you Bogleheads and my past self

Post by Clever_Username »

Congratulations!
YeahBuddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 pm Coming from a lower income family, and me not being overly intelligent or much of a go-getter,
The rest of your story sure made me believe you're intelligent and somewhat of a go-getter. You made some very intelligent choices and are being rewarded for it, and properly so. I'm glad to hear it.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
chassis

Post by chassis »

YeahBuddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 pm I just turned 43 and for the first time in my life I'm feeling financial relief, seeing real results from all the saving and investing. We can afford some luxuries now and I want to thank you Bogleheads for our success. And also I'd like to encourage any younger investors to follow the principles endorsed here. This is the formula for success. Like Nike, just do it!!!

Coming from a lower income family, and me not being overly intelligent or much of a go-getter, I followed the successful formula endorsed here of living below your means, investing in low cost index funds, maintaining an EF, paying off higher interest debt, etc. And now, for the first time, life is getting easier. I come from Irish ancestors that immigrated from Ireland and worked hard but never had much. My grandfather worked 3 jobs. He loved us but had to sell back his house to another family member due to financial difficulty. My dad worked 2 jobs but struggled nonetheless. Mom had multiple health issues and she couldn't work. We almost lost our house when the OT went away at the post office. Dad retired eventually but continued to work for 15 years to help pay bills and fix up the house. Dad's still alive and finally stopped working now. The wife and I are able to afford a better lifestyle. And in 20-25 years, we will have, at a worst (disastrous) case scenario $3M, up to a best case but not unreasonable $10M-$15M to retire with comfortably.

So thanks to this site, for the first time in both our family's history, we have been successful, financially secure, and will create generational wealth. :sharebeer
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your story!
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Posts like these are what make this forum so great. Thanks for sharing, OP, and congratulations!!
Topic Author
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Clever_Username wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:03 pm Congratulations!
YeahBuddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 pm Coming from a lower income family, and me not being overly intelligent or much of a go-getter,
The rest of your story sure made me believe you're intelligent and somewhat of a go-getter. You made some very intelligent choices and are being rewarded for it, and properly so. I'm glad to hear it.

Thank you for your kind words.
Light weight baby!
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

Great story. I’m glad that this forum had a positive impact on your investment journey
"I started with nothing and I still have most of it left."
MorgansRun

Post by MorgansRun »

Congrats! And now when it comes time to buy your next car, you can afford a two year old Toyota rather than an 8 year old Toyota. :D
nepats

Post by nepats »

Congrats and truly inspiring journey! It's great to hear stories like these.
Front Toward Enemy

Post by Front Toward Enemy »

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're nailing it brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yules

Post by yules »

YeahBuddy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 pm I just turned 43 and for the first time in my life I'm feeling financial relief, seeing real results from all the saving and investing. We can afford some luxuries now and I want to thank you Bogleheads for our success. And also I'd like to encourage any younger investors to follow the principles endorsed here. This is the formula for success. Like Nike, just do it!!!

True, but you also have to thank the stock market and your luck for its rise since 2009 (2022 excepting)...don't you get complacent and lazy, now! :happy The next few decade could be more turbulent, so your ability to stick to your knitting will be tested! May you and we have fortune at our side and in our investment accounts

yules
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

yules wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:27 pm

True, but you also have to thank the stock market and your luck for its rise since 2009 (2022 excepting)...don't you get complacent and lazy, now! :happy The next few decade could be more turbulent, so your ability to stick to your knitting will be tested! May you and we have fortune at our side and in our investment accounts

yules
This is sage advice for me too and all of us. Thank you yules. Greatly appreciated.
Retired June 2023
Smartbutnotenough

Post by Smartbutnotenough »

Nice work! :sharebeer We are the same age and end of 2023 before I turned 43, in November I decided to take a 6 month sabbatical and it was thanks to all the advice and confirmation Bogleheads have given me. I knew how to save money but had a very scattered way of investing and in the last 3 yrs I have slowly moved to 2 fund portfolio and have stopped running behind the next TSLA, NVDA hype.

Note: I still have some non-boglehead type investments such as real-estate and crypto :wink:
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Congrats, at 43 my portfolio was 200k, currently it is over 3 million at 63.

I grew up child of single parent in public housing, I escaped poverty you can too.

Keep on doing what you been doing.
Ccthealias

Post by Ccthealias »

A lot of your success is attributed to discipline of savings.

I had a finance undergrad so I thought I know what I was doing. I always believe in the market and did well just investing over the years even through some of the choices I made was not the best (contributing to traditional 401k instead of Roth early on, paying back 2.5% interest student loan, buying single stocks vs funds, buying into VUL)

I didnt discover Boglehead until a year ago and since then it had really take my knowledge to another level and make me smarter about how to manage my assets.

I m grateful to have this forum.