Concern over Gamestop and AMC?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Nowizard

Concern over Gamestop and AMC?

Post by Nowizard »

The actionable aspect of this question involves consumer psychology and the potential for market manipulation. Is it of sufficient concern to consider with individual stock or even fund purchases? What is the process leading to the extremely rapid and significant increase in AMC and Gamestop stocks after periods of more typical increases and decreases? Does it suggest the possibility of overall market manipulation being greater than typically considered?

Tim
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Concern over Gamestop and AMC?

Post by nisiprius »

I have no doubt at all that there is market manipulation going on in microcap stocks, which is a good reason not to invest in individual microcaps. For heaven's sake, Roaring Kitty Posts THIS

and the price of Gamestop doubles. Of course he's manipulating the price of Gamestop by posting this, but imagine trying to prove it. No stock is mentioned, no claim that he's doing or about to do anything, just a crude sketch of an unidentified guy leaning forward in a chair. And the price of Gamestop doubles. Imagine the SEC trying to take action on that.

But I see no reason why this should concern indexers, apart from indignation and The Principle Of The Thing. And of course general concern about an apparent reemergence in general market mania.

The stock market is big. Individual stocks are small.

Gamestop or AMC could go to zero or could grow 10X and it wouldn't have any visible effect on VTI.

I created this chart in 2021. You can't do it as a pie chart, by the way, the pie slices for Gamestop and AMC are too small to be visible. Current market cap is $18.49 billion for Gamestop, $3.39 billion for AMC so no need to update the chart.

Last edited by nisiprius on Tue May 14, 2024 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

Well I don’t do individual stocks so for me it is not a practical issue.

There was a huge amount of short selling going on relative to the number of actual shares. So when other investors started purchasing shares it made the price go up even more and more piled in and eventually the shares had to be returned so it caused even more buying.

Borrowing a stock that is already greatly leveraged is not something I want any part of.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

All the short sellers apparently did not learn their lesson last time, so it’s time for a new semester of “Short Selling Risks 101” to begin.
conservativeinvestor

Post by conservativeinvestor »

You are concerned about some guy on twitter and a single stock being manipulated but not about Jim Cramer or the other talking heads on the nightly news and other financial media doing the same thing?

The difference here is that there is an army of redditors and "normal" people that like Gamestop and AMC as companies more for nostalgia / personal resaons than financial and don't like "smart money" doing all the short calls, so they are ready to rally the "apes" to try to stick it to the man.

Is it manipulation? pretty clearly. Is it different than how the other financial "smart money" works to manipulate the market, that doesn't seem as clear.
Last edited by conservativeinvestor on Tue May 14, 2024 9:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

conservativeinvestor wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:31 am You are concerned about some guy on twitter and a single stock being manipulated but not about Jim Cramer or the other talking heads on the nightly news doing the same thing?
“I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!”

― Abe Simpson
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Catalina25

Post by Catalina25 »

Blue Horsehoe loves Anacott Steel.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I'm not concerned about any particular individual company or stock, at least not as to how it affects my portfolio or planning.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Some people need hobbies. I feel bad for the management of GameStop or AMC that have do to manage budgets and investor expectations when this kind of random gambling is going on.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

This is entertaining. If you’re bored, throw some gambling money at these names. But expect to lose most of it. If you win, consider it luck like a lottery ticket.

I do find it fascinating from a behavioral aspect.

I’m looking at 1 day graphs of AMC and GME, and they look the same. Mind blown.
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

GME makes up 0.0064% of VTSAX total stock market. In my case this amounts to about $12. AMC is even smaller at 0.0019% or roughly $3.25. They are not included in the S&P 500 where the bulk of my index funds are invested. So, with all this ‘activity’ going on, what would be my action plan with such a generous sum? Absolutely nothing.

There are reasons why people lose ‘everything’ in the stock market and why 80% plus underperform the indices. By buying and holding the index, I became a multi-millionaire by holding companies such as Enron, General Motors, Lehman Brothers, Pacific Gas and Electric, TWA, WorldCom….
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

conservativeinvestor wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:31 am The difference here is that there is an army of redditors and "normal" people that like Gamestop and AMC as companies more for nostalgia / personal resaons than financial and don't like "smart money" doing all the short calls, so they are ready to rally the "apes" to try to stick it to the man.

Is it manipulation? pretty clearly. Is it different than how the other financial "smart money" works to manipulate the market, that doesn't seem as clear.
Mostly it was not investment related as mentioned. Many just wanted to ‘stick it to the 1%ers’ without realizing that a $12B hedge fund is really dinky in size when compared to a $1.1 trillion index fund owned by millions of shareholders. Unfortunately, many lost just about all they invested during the frenzy.

CNBC mentioned that AMC sold some shares during yesterday’s rally to realize some capital. Makes sense.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Hacksawdave wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:15 am GME makes up 0.0064% of VTSAX total stock market. In my case this amounts to about $12. AMC is even smaller at 0.0019% or roughly $3.25. They are not included in the S&P 500 where the bulk of my index funds are invested. So, with all this ‘activity’ going on, what would be my action plan with such a generous sum? Absolutely nothing.

There are reasons why people lose ‘everything’ in the stock market and why 80% plus underperform the indices. By buying and holding the index, I became a multi-millionaire by holding companies such as Enron, General Motors, Lehman Brothers, Pacific Gas and Electric, TWA, WorldCom….
You sure know how to pick 'em ;-)

I really like that expression, by the way, although I'd be more inclined to say "... despite holding companies such as ..." -- great way to phrase the situation.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I am an individual stock investor to some extent, but no this doesn't concern me at all. There is the manipulation that you can see, and that which you can't. Both have always existed. In either case, I don't use social media or general public opinions to make MY stock choices, and that is all that matters to me. My choices are made for deeper reasons, with deeper research for my rarer investments in small caps.

But all manipulation has a finite life and will work itself out eventually. If people want to have some fun, that's fine by me. Group think is always, always dangerous. But in this case, I largely think folks are just having some fun. I won't wag my finger at them, even if this is something I personally would avoid. Whether individuals themselves succeed or fail, I bet that there will be good lessons learned. Either way, they won't bring down the market. It's part of the game.
billaster

Post by billaster »

It's funny that the so-called respectable traders and market analysts try to manipulate the market every day but some inconsequential internet dude does it and beats them at their own game and they get all righteous and up in arms. Oh, the humanity!
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

billaster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am It's funny that the so-called respectable traders and market analysts try to manipulate the market every day but some inconsequential internet dude does it and beats them at their own game and they get all righteous and up in arms. Oh, the humanity!
Listened to the Citadel guy on the drive in to work talking about how great they were because their fees weren’t low. The guy said: would you go to a low cost brain surgeon? Then he went on about pricing power.

These guys are really a piece of work. They’re really good at separating rich people from their money.
conservativeinvestor

rockstar wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am This is entertaining. If you’re bored, throw some gambling money at these names. But expect to lose most of it. If you win, consider it luck like a lottery ticket.

Yes it has been quite the show to watch. I don't have any money on the table, but it has been fun to watch from the sidelines.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

billaster wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am It's funny that the so-called respectable traders and market analysts try to manipulate the market every day but some inconsequential internet dude does it and beats them at their own game and they get all righteous and up in arms. Oh, the humanity!
Mr Gill might be more consequential than 99% of the people you think are more influential than he is. Taylor Swift may only be marginally more influential than he is at this moment in time. He got the whole world talking and acting in irrational ways with one dumb tweet. It’s pretty amazing.
Being wrong compounds forever.
rogue_economist

Post by rogue_economist »

What concerns me about this is the potential for spillover and domino effects. Yes as index investors we aren't going to have much direct impact from owning these stocks either way but history shows that might not be the relevant metric.

Often crashes are the result of a series of increasingly damaging events which are not rational but nevertheless happen. 1929 had a definite flavor of that, with clueless consumers putting money in individual stocks being manipulated by larger players behind the scenes.

Not to say that this will cause a crash, but with the markets already on edge over stubborn inflation and the uncertainty of the Federal Reserve's next move I find playing these stupid games akin to playing with matches. Wasteful, momentarily fun for those with latent pyromaniac tendencies, usually harmless, but occasionally devastating. I'd prefer the SEC to put a stop to this nonsense.
Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they shall never sit in
conservativeinvestor

rogue_economist wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm What concerns me about this is the potential for spillover and domino effects. Yes as index investors we aren't going to have much direct impact from owning these stocks either way but history shows that might not be the relevant metric.

Often crashes are the result of a series of increasingly damaging events which are not rational but nevertheless happen. 1929 had a definite flavor of that, with clueless consumers putting money in individual stocks being manipulated by larger players behind the scenes.

Not to say that this will cause a crash, but with the markets already on edge over stubborn inflation and the uncertainty of the Federal Reserve's next move I find playing these stupid games akin to playing with matches. Wasteful, momentarily fun for those with latent pyromaniac tendencies, usually harmless, but occasionally devastating. I'd prefer the SEC to put a stop to this nonsense.
This is just a replay of the GME excitement from 2021. We've already been here and done this, they even made a documentary. It isn't rational but there is no bigger picture, it's a bunch of people brining excitment to their lives while trying to win the stock lottery and prove a point.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

conservativeinvestor wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 pm
rockstar wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am This is entertaining. If you’re bored, throw some gambling money at these names. But expect to lose most of it. If you win, consider it luck like a lottery ticket.

Yes it has been quite the show to watch. I don't have any money on the table, but it has been fun to watch from the sidelines.
Nothing makes much sense today. Powell comes out and says rate higher for longer. PPI comes out hot. Treasury yields drop. Day to day stuff is comedy.

I bought a bit of AMC to participate in this nonsense. It’s less than 0.1% of my portfolio. So it won’t matter one way or another. But it gives me something to watch while the rest of my portfolio goes to the moon.
rogue_economist

Post by rogue_economist »

conservativeinvestor wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:44 pm
rogue_economist wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 pm What concerns me about this is the potential for spillover and domino effects. Yes as index investors we aren't going to have much direct impact from owning these stocks either way but history shows that might not be the relevant metric.

This is just a replay of the GME excitement from 2021. We've already been here and done this, they even made a documentary. It isn't rational but there is no bigger picture, it's a bunch of people brining excitment to their lives while trying to win the stock lottery and prove a point.
Just because you get away with something once doesn't make it safe.
Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they shall never sit in
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (general economic discussion). As noted in the site owner's post in the locked thread Re: U.S. stocks in free fall:
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:02 pm A reminder from the forum policies:
Investing - Theory, News & General

If it's investment related and it doesn't fall into the above category it goes here.
General economic discussions do not fall under the category of "investment related". Nor do they fall under the allowed topics in any of our other forums. You will have to find another site or outlet if you wish to take part in such discussions.

Just in case the previous was unclear, we specifically addressed this issue in the following policy:
Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.