my experience so far setting up Fidelity CMA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
syc

my experience so far setting up Fidelity CMA

Post by syc »

Last Friday (I think) I opened a Fidelity CMA. I already had my Roth and a rollover tIRA with them. For years I've been maintaining a HYSA and a checking accout at Ally, plus a local checking account at a B&M bank that receives our paychecks via direct deposit. There then ensues a lot of automatic ETFs between accounts. My objective with the CMA, as we approach retirement, is to simplify things by consolidating most of my cash and cash equivalents into one large bucket, on which I can write checks but also earn decent interest. Best of both worlds. Thought I'd share my experience so far, in case anyone is interested.

Opened the joint account via Fidelity website. Ordered a debit card; need two, don't know how many will show up--there was no option to specify. Also linked 3 banks via Fidelity website. Also used Fidelity website to set up a recurring monthly transfer from Fidelity to one of my banks (out of which cell phone company takes their monthly charges.) So a "push" EFT. That all went very smoothly.

Made some small trial EFTs from my other banks to the CMA. Seemed to go smoothly. Amounts were listed as "in process" over the weekend. They appear in the balance today. But the little circled i message says not available to withdraw until a week from now. That's suboptimal.

Wanted to set up checkwriting. Used the PDF form available online, filled it out, scanned it on my computer. The form gave inaccurate instructions about how to upload it. In the chat, the Fidelity rep was prompt and helpful in that regard, sending me a link to the upload site. Got a message today via the website that they had received it.

Went on Treasury Direct to link my new CMA as an available bank. That failed, I suspect because of the 17- versus 13-digit account number issue. I think I'll just wait until my checks arrive--I've read they contain a 13-digit account number recognizable outside of Fidelity.

So overall, a mixed bag, mostly positive, with a couple tolerable glitches. We shall see.
muffins14

Re: my experience so far setting up Fidelity CMA

Post by muffins14 »

I don't use treasury direct, but the "normal" 17-digit account number they show is the one that I've successfully used for all my online ACH / bill-pay / venmo etc

For your withdrawal, I think when you open new accounts at most financial institutions, you are not allowed to immediately withdraw that money to a 3rd location, but you need to wait, or withdraw it back to the original location that it came from. Some sort of anti-money laundering or fraud thing maybe.

I expect that would go away as your account becomes not-new
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

I didn't even attempt to transfer any money out, so I never got to the point of specifying a destination institution (it would have been the bank it just came from.) It just said $0 available to withdraw until next week.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

syc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:30 pm I didn't even attempt to transfer any money out, so I never got to the point of specifying a destination institution (it would have been the bank it just came from.) It just said $0 available to withdraw until next week.
The whole "not available to withdraw for a week" thing goes away when your account ages a bit. Mine are next day now. But it was annoying at first
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

I opened our joint CMA two weeks ago by transferring in 10K. The next day they immediately put a freeze on our account until they received my wife’s tax with holding form and verification of her SS #. They never asked for either for me. Two days later they said someone removed my phone number from my fidelity profile and a security alert was put on my account. When I called they verified my identity by texting a code to the number in my profile, verified I did not remove the number and said the event was under review by fidelity account security.

Over all they seemed disjoint. When they first asked for my wife’s SS card. I told them we didn’t have it. They said please send a copy of our tax return. It made no sense to me why they would allow a coy of our tax return which I fill out to verify her SS #. I sent in an ibond 1099 form with her name, address, and SS #.

Once the account is unfrozen I plan to get checks, debit cards, and do my 6 auto deposits and my 12 auto withdrawals and make it my hub account. Don’t have enough confidence in them to do that yet.

Everyone when I call they have me type in my SS# and on line password. Then when I get to talk with a customer service rep they text me a code to my phone which I verbally repeat to them. Seems duplicitous. But ??
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

Sorry to hear of your experience Parkinglotracer. I don't think I've ever phoned them; I've had very good service with the online chat support. (I always just keep typing "human" until a human gets on the chat.)
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

nalor511 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm The whole "not available to withdraw for a week" thing goes away when your account ages a bit. Mine are next day now. But it was annoying at first
Do you remember roughly how long it lasted?
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Part of your experience illustrates why I still use Discover as a “hub” or “pass through” checking and savings account. Another part of your experience illustrates why I refuse to use Treasury Direct.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

syc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:15 pm Last Friday (I think) I opened a Fidelity CMA. I already had my Roth and a rollover tIRA with them. For years I've been maintaining a HYSA and a checking accout at Ally, plus a local checking account at a B&M bank that receives our paychecks via direct deposit. There then ensues a lot of automatic ETFs between accounts. My objective with the CMA, as we approach retirement, is to simplify things by consolidating most of my cash and cash equivalents into one large bucket, on which I can write checks but also earn decent interest. Best of both worlds. Thought I'd share my experience so far, in case anyone is interested.

Opened the joint account via Fidelity website. Ordered a debit card; need two, don't know how many will show up--there was no option to specify. Also linked 3 banks via Fidelity website. Also used Fidelity website to set up a recurring monthly transfer from Fidelity to one of my banks (out of which cell phone company takes their monthly charges.) So a "push" EFT. That all went very smoothly.

Made some small trial EFTs from my other banks to the CMA. Seemed to go smoothly. Amounts were listed as "in process" over the weekend. They appear in the balance today. But the little circled i message says not available to withdraw until a week from now. That's suboptimal.

Wanted to set up checkwriting. Used the PDF form available online, filled it out, scanned it on my computer. The form gave inaccurate instructions about how to upload it. In the chat, the Fidelity rep was prompt and helpful in that regard, sending me a link to the upload site. Got a message today via the website that they had received it.

Went on Treasury Direct to link my new CMA as an available bank. That failed, I suspect because of the 17- versus 13-digit account number issue. I think I'll just wait until my checks arrive--I've read they contain a 13-digit account number recognizable outside of Fidelity.

So overall, a mixed bag, mostly positive, with a couple tolerable glitches. We shall see.
I was able to link my Fido CMA using the 17 digit account number to my Treasury Direct account. I have successfully purchased and redeemed I Bonds on Treasury Direct via my Fido CMA multiple times already. I am not sure if this because my Fido CMA account is a couple of years old now (my other Fido accounts are older) and my Treasury Direct account is several years old and was previously locked and unlocked via phone (so the account is not considered authenticated?) after previously adding a 2nd checking account (in addition to the initial one).

i knew about the issues people had with new CMAs, so when I first opened it, I only put $50 to get a $100 bonus; then left those funds in a money market fund and didn't try to take any money out of the account for a few months (I don't remember how many), never had any issues once I started using it as my main "checking" account. But I always make sure my funds "available" to withdraw is sufficient before scheduling a payment.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

It can several days before a newly registered account is available for ACH linking via name registration. I usually wait at least a week for places that don't do trial deposits, such as Treasury direct.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

syc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:24 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm The whole "not available to withdraw for a week" thing goes away when your account ages a bit. Mine are next day now. But it was annoying at first
I was really annoyed at first. Not long. Within a month. Transfers initiated from the Fidelity side are so quick that it's my hub.
lostcoast2023

Post by lostcoast2023 »

syc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:24 pm
For ACH pulls, Fidelity consistently placed a 1 week withdraw hold for exactly 1 year after opening my account. Now they are 2 days.
Parkinglotracer

syc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:24 pm Sorry to hear of your experience Parkinglotracer. I don't think I've ever phoned them; I've had very good service with the online chat support. (I always just keep typing "human" until a human gets on the chat.)
I will try the chat - thanks for the suggestion.
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

syc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:15 pm .....
Agreed, set one up this week, had several error message trying to finish set up through the remaining checklist items on the dashboard (order checks, name beneficiaries, etc.). Chat Rep was very helpful and recreated the issue and proposed a workaround, but....
Parkinglotracer

Growing pains I am sure … when I click on “checklist of things to do for opening my new CMA account” (nice feature) it says to name beneficiaries; when I try to do that it only shows my brokerage account. When I name beneficiary for my brokerage account website goes into infinite loop and can’t exit website. When I log back on under same heading it says to order checks and then won’t let me do that. Not trying to bash fidelity but clearly a painful opening process with lock down for spouse’s SS and then lockdown for “someone “ deleting my profile phone number. Hopefully it will all settle out and it will be reliable and error free eventually.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:08 am Growing pains I am sure … when I click on “checklist of things to do for opening my new CMA account” (nice feature) it says to name beneficiaries; when I try to do that it only shows my brokerage account. When I name beneficiary for my brokerage account website goes into infinite loop and can’t exit website. When I log back on under same heading it says to order checks and then won’t let me do that. Not trying to bash fidelity but clearly a painful opening process with lock down for spouse’s SS and then lockdown for “someone “ deleting my profile phone number. Hopefully it will all settle out and it will be reliable and error free eventually.
People around here love to praise Fidelity but …

I reopened our CMA (I closed it when angry that they bounced a payment on me, first time since college). I could not transfer funds in from another Fidelity account. I had to call Fidelity, and after saying some nonsense (“can’t transfer from a Revocable Living Trust account”) the rep did something and I suddenly could transfer after logging back in.

To their credit, the reps are unfailingly polite, but what if I had been gullible and believed that you can’t transfer from a RLT? Would the rep have chalked it up to a customer inquiry concluded successfully?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Stephen_Crane

Post by Stephen_Crane »

Has been seamless for me so far. I opened my Fidelity CMA about two months ago. Transferred in $20k from USAA. All online with no issues. Debit card arrived about a week later. Haven’t tried to withdraw cash from it yet but otherwise it’s great to have this compared to USAA.

I have a small taxable brokerage account with Fidelity. In the future all my taxable investments will go into fidelity instead of Vanguard just to diversify where my investments sit.
sent from my user friendly home computer.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Moved from Vanguard a number of years back when they decided to focus on things that we didn't agree with (I can do that because it's our money and I wanted to). I have since moved very large sums of money to and from our Fidelity CMA account multiple times. There has never been an issue. It's frightening how fast these large sums of money transfer.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
diyer1

Post by diyer1 »

My experience: I very recently opened an account, transferred some money, and right away bought FDLXX with all that money. It indicated the entire balance was available for withdrawal (or some wording like that). I'd read several posts about auto-liquidating, and I went ahead and initiated payments for CCs, and they all bounced :confused . Is it due to the 1 week hold mentioned earlier in this thread? Not sure if I misunderstood auto-liquidation, or if I did something wrong. I had to sell some back to cash, and re-initiate payments.
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:54 pm I opened our joint CMA two weeks ago by transferring in 10K. The next day they immediately put a freeze on our account until they received my wife’s tax with holding form and verification of her SS #. They never asked for either for me. Two days later they said someone removed my phone number from my fidelity profile and a security alert was put on my account. When I called they verified my identity by texting a code to the number in my profile, verified I did not remove the number and said the event was under review by fidelity account security.

Over all they seemed disjoint. When they first asked for my wife’s SS card. I told them we didn’t have it. They said please send a copy of our tax return. It made no sense to me why they would allow a coy of our tax return which I fill out to verify her SS #. I sent in an ibond 1099 form with her name, address, and SS #.

Once the account is unfrozen I plan to get checks, debit cards, and do my 6 auto deposits and my 12 auto withdrawals and make it my hub account. Don’t have enough confidence in them to do that yet.

Everyone when I call they have me type in my SS# and on line password. Then when I get to talk with a customer service rep they text me a code to my phone which I verbally repeat to them. Seems duplicitous. But ??
Are you sure you’re talking to Fidelity? I have a CMA and 6 other accounts with them and my wife has another 4. They have never requested a SS card or a tax return.
CuriousGeorgeTx

Post by CuriousGeorgeTx »

MrJedi wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:51 pm It can several days before a newly registered account is available for ACH linking via name registration. I usually wait at least a week for places that don't do trial deposits, such as Treasury direct.
I am currently in Identity purgatory. (Everything I try to do new at Fidelity and most other financial institutions requires extra steps to verify ID). It started after a failed attempt to link from Ally to a brand new Fidelity brokerage. Ally has been evasive as to the root cause but they have mentioned a failed ACH attempt.

I was able to set up the link at Ally a couple of days later. But Ally now delays everything due to the ID issue, so I don’t use it.

I had no problem with the 17 digit account number at Treasury Direct. I did have a pro with he account owner name. ( Needed trust name, not trustee)

Fidelity won’t let me access the online external account setup system. The links I set up at Fidelity were done manually, with a paper form, and took about a week.
Parkinglotracer

wetgear wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:56 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:54 pm I opened our joint CMA two weeks ago by transferring in 10K. The next day they immediately put a freeze on our account until they received my wife’s tax with holding form and verification of her SS #. They never asked for either for me. Two days later they said someone removed my phone number from my fidelity profile and a security alert was put on my account. When I called they verified my identity by texting a code to the number in my profile, verified I did not remove the number and said the event was under review by fidelity account security.

Are you sure you’re talking to Fidelity? I have a CMA and 6 other accounts with them and my wife has another 4. They have never requested a SS card or a tax return.
They didn’t ask for it when I opened my brokerage account last year either. I did get a call from a fidelity customer service rep today and he got my new account unlocked! Progress!
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

Well, my first two $500 transfers from a bank savings account into my CMA were released from Fidelity jail today, after a week, and are now available for withdrawal/transfer/whatever. I think the other 1K trial balloon gets released tomorrow.

And just in time for my first-ever cold call from a Fidelity "financial planner and fiduciary" from Utah! I've had a Roth IRA with Fido for about 18m, transferred over from Vanguard. Quite the coincidence. I asked her kindly not to call me any more--put me on a list or make a note in my file. We'll see what happens.

I launched 3 more trial balloons tonight, small transfers back to the bank accounts whence they came. Want to make sure everything works before committing the bulk of my cash to my new CMA. We shall see.
Parkinglotracer

Went to get checks for my now unlocked CMA account at fidelity. Now They will not allow me to order checks until my wife calls them because it is a joint account. They had no problem taking our 10K into our joint CMA account from our joint checking acct without my wife calling but now they need it. They already locked it once while we provided proof of her social security number. So as soon as I get her to call we will see about those checks. Ugh.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm Went to get checks for my now unlocked CMA account at fidelity. Now They will not allow me to order checks until my wife calls them because it is a joint account. They had no problem taking our 10K into our joint CMA account from our joint checking acct without my wife calling but now they need it. They already locked it once while we provided proof of her social security number. So as soon as I get her to call we will see about those checks. Ugh.
Reminds me of the SSA who wanted me to prove my date of birth when I wanted benefits. I’m afraid that I was not very polite, basically saying something like “you believed me about my date of birth when you accepted money for more than 4 decades, but now you want proof?” Anyway, SERENITY NOW!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:42 pm Went to get checks for my now unlocked CMA account at fidelity. Now They will not allow me to order checks until my wife calls them because it is a joint account. They had no problem taking our 10K into our joint CMA account from our joint checking acct without my wife calling but now they need it. They already locked it once while we provided proof of her social security number. So as soon as I get her to call we will see about those checks. Ugh.
Perhaps your wife doesn't have a phone number and email on file, for us it was an SMS with a link to digitally sign.
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

Related question for anyone who has ordered and received checks from Fidelity for their CMA: were they duplicate checks, the kind that leaves behind a no-carbon-required copy? Or just plain-vanilla single-page checks? Thanks.
Parkinglotracer

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:00 pm
Reminds me of the SSA who wanted me to prove my date of birth when I wanted benefits. I’m afraid that I was not very polite, basically saying something like “you believed me about my date of birth when you accepted money for more than 4 decades, but now you want proof?” Anyway, SERENITY NOW!
Yes serenity now!
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

syc wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:41 pm Or just plain-vanilla single-page checks?
Vanilla
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

syc wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:18 pm And just in time for my first-ever cold call from a Fidelity "financial planner and fiduciary" from Utah! I've had a Roth IRA with Fido for about 18m, transferred over from Vanguard. Quite the coincidence. I asked her kindly not to call me any more--put me on a list or make a note in my file. We'll see what happens.

I launched 3 more trial balloons tonight, small transfers back to the bank accounts whence they came. Want to make sure everything works before committing the bulk of my cash to my new CMA. We shall see.
I got this call after moving to Fidelity. They were extremely nice and when I politely declined their offer for a meeting, they just said to reach out if I had any questions and I haven't gotten a call since.

I have noticed that Fidelity (using UMB) seems to take longer than other banks to push the trial deposits. For whatever reason, it doesn't want to work with FinCity or Yoodle or Plaid to instantly link accounts like most other banks. I think this is a function of (1) Fidelity not being an actual bank, and (2) relying on a third party bank - UMB - to handle the actual banking functions.
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

So it's been about 12 days (about 8 business days) since I opened my CMA. My first two tranches of transfers into it became available for spending yesterday, and the second trance from a transfer a day later became available today--so 7 days. Three transfer out back to source banks went smoothly and seemed to complete in less than 2 days. A third tranche transferred in last night is still on parole, probably for another week, I'd guess.

Ordered checks and debit cards when I opened the account. Neither has arrived yet.

I still have to troubleshoot the connection between new CMA and my Treasury Direct account; that failed on first try. I don't know why yet.
Topic Author
syc

Post by syc »

I discovered on the Fidelity website that they kindly inform you when the debit cards were mailed; nice touch. Mailed within a few days of opening my account; found them in a pile of mail I hadn't gotten to. Checks arrived today, 14 days after opening account. I just used online bill pay for the first time--pretty slick! ('Til now I've been an old-fashioned write and mail a check kind of guy.)