Vanguard retirement 403B Mega Back Door Roth Question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
dorster

Vanguard retirement 403B Mega Back Door Roth Question

Post by dorster »

My workplace retirement plan is with Vanguard and I believe I can contribute to a Mega Back Door Roth.

With my last paycheck I contributed some to pre-tax and some to after-tax (non Roth) and then converted the after-tax amount to Roth (which happened automatically). My paystub looks as expected (shows pre-tax and after-tax contributions).

The above has been confirmed with Vanguard and seems to have worked. I can see a confirmation from Vanguard the after-tax amount has been converted to Roth.

Question: I had assumed that I would be able to see somewhere that I now had some amount of Roth "holdings" in my account. Since it's only the last paycheck it would probably be less than 1% but I can't see anywhere where it would tell me this, or where it does show this. I assume I should be able to see this somewhere?

Just checking if I'm missing something obvious before I call in.

Thanks!
Topic Author
dorster

Re: Vanguard retirement 403B Mega Back Door Roth Question

Post by dorster »

So I suspect that the lack of responses is indicative of this not being of interest to too many people.

On the off chance someone finds this in the future, here is how you check your Roth in-plan conversion balance in your Vanguard 403B account (assuming your plan is similar to mine).

From the Employer Plans homepage
Explore>Go to previous site
Menu>Plan Details>Investments
Select your plan from the drop down
Under View By click on Source of Contribution

You should see a list of all the contribution sources (in my case this is employee, employer match, etc).
retiredjg

Re: Vanguard retirement 403B Mega Back Door Roth Question

Post by retiredjg »

I do not know about Vanguard specifically. But not being able to see traditional amount vs Roth amount has been reported in the past a number of times. The information seems to be there, but hidden. Seems like you have found it for your plan.

This is the first mention that I remember that anyone other than Fidelity has an automatic conversion feature. Progress. :happy