Equivalents to Janus Henderson funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fire36

Equivalents to Janus Henderson funds

Post by fire36 »

I'm working with a less-savvy relative who has a traditional IRA at Janus Henderson. All the funds there have expense ratios that look quite high to my boglehead brain.

I don't want to be responsible for telling her what to invest in, so we're working on getting her a fee-only fiduciary financial planner to make actual allocation recommendations. But in the meantime, I'm wondering if we can at least transfer these holdings to substantially similar, but much lower expense funds. (Finding funds that "act the same" as her old funds means we're not really making major investment choices.) She has other accounts at Fidelity so I was thinking we'd transfer this account there.

The funds she has:
JNRFX (Janus Henderson Research Fund Class D), E.R. 0.62%
JANFX (Janus Henderson Flexible Bond Fund Class D), E.R. 0.57%
JANBX (Janus Henderson Balanced Fund Class D), E.R. 0.70%
JACNX (Janus Henderson Contrarian Fund Class D), E.R. 0.76%

The equivalent for the balanced fund seems relatively straightforward - FBALX (Fidelity Balanced Fund), E.R. 0.47%
Any thoughts on equivalents for the others? Or is this a fool's errand because these Janus funds are active funds that don't have obvious equivalents like index funds do?
Fclevz

Re: Equivalents to Janus Henderson funds

Post by Fclevz »

fire36 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:57 pm
The funds she has:
JNRFX (Janus Henderson Research Fund Class D), E.R. 0.62%
JANFX (Janus Henderson Flexible Bond Fund Class D), E.R. 0.57%
JANBX (Janus Henderson Balanced Fund Class D), E.R. 0.70%
JACNX (Janus Henderson Contrarian Fund Class D), E.R. 0.76%
The first fund, JNRFX is a large-growth fund, for which you can substitute Fidelity Total Market Index fund FSKAX (0.015%).

The second fund, JANFX is an intermediate-term bond fund, for which you can substitute Fidelity US Bond Index fund FXNAX (0.025%). That's not a totally equal replacement, as the Janus fund holds more corporate than the aggregate, but close enough for horseshoes.

The third fund, JANBX is a balanced fund. No real reason to hold a separate balanced fund, as a 60/40 split of the two funds above (FSKAX/FXNAX) replicates it nearly exactly.

The fourth fund is a mid-cap blend fund. Most people generally don't have a reason to overweight mid-caps relative to the total market, so you may just want to ignore it. If not, Fidelity has a mid-cap index fund, FSMDX (0.025%).
Doctor Rhythm

Re: Equivalents to Janus Henderson funds

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Will skip the usual warnings about advising friends and relatives about their portfolios as well warnings about advisors/managers.

I would recommend not trying to find matching funds, but to reinvest proceeds from sale of active funds into a more diversified portfolio. So the large growth fund Janus Research Fund can switched to a total market fund. Whatever bond holdings that are desired can be switched to a total bond fund, etc.