Vanguard Personal Performance Dashboard Issue

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
StringTheory

Vanguard Personal Performance Dashboard Issue

Post by StringTheory »

Hello,

I am not one to monitor the month to month or even year to year fluctuations in my portfolio, but I am interested in seeing what my gains are since inception. Years ago, this was a very easy thing to do. I would go to the Personal Performance dashboard, click the Since Inception button for the time filter, and viola, done. I could see exactly what my profits were since I started my account. Now, it appears to be capped at an ambiguous 10 years. What is the best way to accurately determine lifetime/since inception profits with the new and "improved" website?

Cheers!
whiterabbit66

Re: Vanguard Personal Performance Dashboard Issue

Post by whiterabbit66 »

Yet again more Vanguard recent changes are not good and I am hoping they do another update to bring back the lost functionality. As an example you can no longer see how much you have made in dividends or capital gains when you pull up the screen for a year, or 3 or 10. There used to be a row at the bottom that totaled up but now its missing. Right now I am sitting with a calculator adding line by line and I can't see any other way to view total profits from a specific timeline.
goingup

Post by goingup »

StringTheory wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:48 am Hello,

I am not one to monitor the month to month or even year to year fluctuations in my portfolio, but I am interested in seeing what my gains are since inception. Years ago, this was a very easy thing to do. I would go to the Personal Performance dashboard, click the Since Inception button for the time filter, and viola, done. I could see exactly what my profits were since I started my account. Now, it appears to be capped at an ambiguous 10 years. What is the best way to accurately determine lifetime/since inception profits with the new and "improved" website?

Cheers!
I could wrong about this, but it seems to me Vanguard has always capped performance numbers at 10 years. I've been with them since 1999.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

whiterabbit66 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:46 pm Yet again more Vanguard recent changes are not good and I am hoping they do another update to bring back the lost functionality. As an example you can no longer see how much you have made in dividends or capital gains when you pull up the screen for a year, or 3 or 10. There used to be a row at the bottom that totaled up but now its missing. Right now I am sitting with a calculator adding line by line and I can't see any other way to view total profits from a specific timeline.
This is an absolute pain, drives me nuts.
IDpilot

Post by IDpilot »

whiterabbit66 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:46 pm Yet again more Vanguard recent changes are not good and I am hoping they do another update to bring back the lost functionality. As an example you can no longer see how much you have made in dividends or capital gains when you pull up the screen for a year, or 3 or 10. There used to be a row at the bottom that totaled up but now its missing. Right now I am sitting with a calculator adding line by line and I can't see any other way to view total profits from a specific timeline.
The column "income returns" will show you the dividends, interest, and capital gains generated by your accounts’ assets for the selected time period. At the bottom of the column is the total... most times. For the 3-year and longer periods you will have to click the "show more" link. When you do that you will get a line for every month and a total at the bottom. For the 1-year, it just doesn't always come up. What seems to make the total line show up in the 1-year is if you go to the 3-year view, click the "show more" link and then change the time period back to one year. What more are you looking for?
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

My performance dashboard has a time period named “all” which appears to include returns since inception. It also breaks out contributions, withdrawals, income, and gains nicely
whiterabbit66

Post by whiterabbit66 »

IDpilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:59 pm
The column "income returns" will show you the dividends, interest, and capital gains generated by your accounts’ assets for the selected time period. At the bottom of the column is the total... most times. For the 3-year and longer periods you will have to click the "show more" link. When you do that you will get a line for every month and a total at the bottom. For the 1-year, it just doesn't always come up. What seems to make the total line show up in the 1-year is if you go to the 3-year view, click the "show more" link and then change the time period back to one year. What more are you looking for?
Thanks for this help. I just went through the steps and yes for the 3 year I can see a total and its correct. The one year it is still blank. I logged out and tried again and this time the 1 year total shows but the same number as the 3 year! The 3rd attempt worked following your instructions. Clearly there is a SW bug right now that I hope they fix soon. I What I am looking for is to see my 1 year trailing dividends which used to be easy.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

nyclon wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:16 pm
My performance dashboard has a time period named “all” which appears to include returns since inception. It also breaks out contributions, withdrawals, income, and gains nicely
Does "all" happen to fall within 10 years for you? Just curious.
If I click "all" it still only shows me 10 years. If I click "custom", everything prior to 2014 is greyed out on the little calendar. I have been a Vanguard customer since the early 1990s so there is 30 years+ history to show... but as far as I can tell, not on the website...
Can you check and see if these two actions (clicking on all, and clicking on custom) behave the same for you? Many thanks.
Cheers
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

Harry Livermore wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:26 am
If I click "all" it still only shows me 10 years. If I click "custom", everything prior to 2014 is greyed out on the little calendar. I have been a Vanguard customer since the early 1990s so there is 30 years+ history to show... but as far as I can tell, not on the website...
Can you check and see if these two actions (clicking on all, and clicking on custom) behave the same for you? Many thanks.
Cheers
This is really unfortunate. I am not at 10 years. I wonder if 2014 is a cutoff of some sort, or, if it is a 10 year look back.
IDpilot

Post by IDpilot »

whiterabbit66 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:35 am
IDpilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:59 pm
Thanks for this help. I just went through the steps and yes for the 3 year I can see a total and its correct. The one year it is still blank. I logged out and tried again and this time the 1 year total shows but the same number as the 3 year! The 3rd attempt worked following your instructions. Clearly there is a SW bug right now that I hope they fix soon. I What I am looking for is to see my 1 year trailing dividends which used to be easy.
The closest thing to just your trailing dividends on the Performance Dashboard is the "income returns" column however it will contain other sources of income such interest and capital gains. If you just want your dividends you can go to the transaction history screen and us the filters however that won't have any totals at the bottom.

Check out this tread for more discussion on this topic viewtopic.php?t=417834
Harry Livermore

nyclon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:53 pm
Cheers
This is really unfortunate. I am not at 10 years. I wonder if 2014 is a cutoff of some sort, or, if it is a 10 year look back.
I would guess, as others have speculated, it is cut off at 10 years. Let's revisit next year and see if the last year you can pick is 2015.
8-)
Cheers
whiterabbit66

Post by whiterabbit66 »

I hate to have to bring this up again but I am still having an issue with all the numbers being incorrect when I try to pull up performance details on Vanguards Performance page. Specifically the numbers are completely incorrect for the 3 year and 1 year period. It seemed to work sometimes with the fix listed by a post above in this thread but now is just not working at all. What I am wanting is the correct trailing 12 month dividends total which hasn't worked now since the beginning of the year. Seems unbelievable to not be able to get accurate numbers as until late 2023 there was no problem.

Is anyone else having this problem? This is a crucial number for me as I need to measure and understand my dividend income. Thanks.
IDpilot

Post by IDpilot »

Works just fine for me on all time periods and account combinations.
DireStraits

Post by DireStraits »

whiterabbit66 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm I hate to have to bring this up again but I am still having an issue with all the numbers being incorrect when I try to pull up performance details on Vanguards Performance page. Specifically the numbers are completely incorrect for the 3 year and 1 year period. It seemed to work sometimes with the fix listed by a post above in this thread but now is just not working at all. What I am wanting is the correct trailing 12 month dividends total which hasn't worked now since the beginning of the year. Seems unbelievable to not be able to get accurate numbers as until late 2023 there was no problem.

Is anyone else having this problem? This is a crucial number for me as I need to measure and understand my dividend income. Thanks.
Just checked the VG website. My numbers are completely incorrect for YTD, 1yr, 3yr and ALL categories.
Last edited by DireStraits on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You control the plan, not the outcome.
whiterabbit66

Post by whiterabbit66 »

DireStraits wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:56 am
whiterabbit66 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm I hate to have to bring this up again but I am still having an issue with all the numbers being incorrect when I try to pull up performance details on Vanguards Performance page. Specifically the numbers are completely incorrect for the 3 year and 1 year period. It seemed to work sometimes with the fix listed by a post above in this thread but now is just not working at all. What I am wanting is the correct trailing 12 month dividends total which hasn't worked now since the beginning of the year. Seems unbelievable to not be able to get accurate numbers as until late 2023 there was no problem.

Just checked the VG website. My are completely incorrect for YTD, 1yr, 3yr and ALL categories.
Thanks, so it's wrong for us and yet seemingly ok for the poster above you. Vanguard really need to sort this problem out asap. Someone (not in the weeds) could possibly make a major financial decision based on looking at incorrect numbers and assuming they had more income (or less).
goingup

Post by goingup »

whiterabbit66 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:12 am

Just checked the VG website. My are completely incorrect for YTD, 1yr, 3yr and ALL categories.
Thanks, so it's wrong for us and yet seemingly ok for the poster above you. Vanguard really need to sort this problem out asap. Someone (not in the weeds) could possibly make a major financial decision based on looking at incorrect numbers and assuming they had more income (or less).
whiterabbit66-
I get dividend information on the Vanguard site by going to Holdings..Summary Information...Distribution payouts.
whiterabbit66

Post by whiterabbit66 »

goingup wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 am

whiterabbit66-
I get dividend information on the Vanguard site by going to Holdings..Summary Information...Distribution payouts.
Thanks, yes but that only shows recent dividends/activity individually. In the performance page tab where we are meant to be able to monitor performance (market gain and income columns) the trailing number totals are totally inaccurate for both 1 and 3 years or don't show up at all on occasion. I just spoke to Vanguard and they put in a ticket as they acknowledge the numbers are incorrect. Funny thing is they asked me to call back in a few days for an update opposed to updating me. I hope this isn't a brush off as these numbers being inaccurate is pretty serious. In my case they are around 500k off!
Clarky

Post by Clarky »

This stuff usually self corrects. I see it on the website this morning as well. I’ve seen it at another brokerage as well. It’s like something that ran the previous night had a hitch.
goingup

Post by goingup »

whiterabbit66 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 pm

whiterabbit66-
Thanks, yes but that only shows recent dividends/activity individually. In the performance page tab where we are meant to be able to monitor performance (market gain and income columns) the trailing number totals are totally inaccurate for both 1 and 3 years or don't show up at all on occasion. I just spoke to Vanguard and they put in a ticket as they acknowledge the numbers are incorrect. Funny thing is they asked me to call back in a few days for an update opposed to updating me. I hope this isn't a brush off as these numbers being inaccurate is pretty serious. In my case they are around 500k off!
Ok. Glad they're going to fix it.
How do you use this information? I have an interest in viewing the performance info, but have not found it actionable.
whiterabbit66

Post by whiterabbit66 »

goingup wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:53 pm
whiterabbit66 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:16 pm

whiterabbit66-
Ok. Glad they're going to fix it.
How do you use this information? I have an interest in viewing the performance info, but have not found it actionable.
With me it's the most important number and most useful. As soon as I hit a certain trailing yearly income in my taxable I could retire if I wanted without ever touching captial. It motivated me to save more ever when it hurt. I still try and grow it each year doing things like switching between ETF's and CEF's etc when they seem over/under priced or a smart tax loss harvesting opportunity becomes available, often this strategy can increase measurable income. In my IRA I use it to measure income the same way and also tax free capital gains and buy/sell successes.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Cheers
I had my Vanguard account since 1998, and in the “Cost Basis screen it shows my transactions from 1998.

The historical Cost Basis is there.
Harry Livermore

retire2022 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 pm

Cheers
I had my Vanguard account since 1998, and in the “Cost Basis screen it shows my transactions from 1998.

Yes, cost basis is there of course. But the Personal Performance chart stops at 10 years. I think that's what's being discussed.
Cheers
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Harry Livermore wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 am
retire2022 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 pm

Cheers

Yes, cost basis is there of course. But the Personal Performance chart stops at 10 years. I think that's what's being discussed.
Cheers
Apologies

I use cost basis data, and import this to Morningstar portfolio manager which is still currently available.

Alternatively one could transpire the cost basis information to a spreadsheet linked to closing prices for one’s respective equities.

My M* 15 year performance is indicted on M* portfolio manager.
whiterabbit66

Post by whiterabbit66 »

I wanted to update this. I called Vanguard a few times and this morning the issue is finally fixed and I can see accurate 1 year income in the performance tab column. Hopefully everyone else's is now fixed too.