Russian investments trapped

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Paracelsus

Russian investments trapped

Post by Paracelsus »

I had money in both Gazprom and RSX when they were delisted. A year ago there was an option to convert shares but you had to open a Russian account via third parties and to be honest I couldn't figure out how to do it

Currently both investments sit at 0 in my portfolio.

What in your opinions are the possibilities for ever recovering these in the future?
Silk McCue

Re: Russian investments trapped

Post by Silk McCue »

Unfortunately I’d say close to zero if not zero itself.

Cheers
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Paracelsus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:55 am I had money in both Gazprom and RSX when they were delisted. A year ago there was an option to convert shares but you had to open a Russian account via third parties and to be honest I couldn't figure out how to do it

What in your opinions are the possibilities for ever recovering these in the future?
Zero
swong

Post by swong »

In the interest of info sharing with other fellow investors how did you come upon deciding investing in Russian equities in the first place? For a while I too was interested in investments in China but balked when they also started experiencing banrupcies in the housing market, and when restrictions on selling high end semiconductors this gave me pause for any overseas investments. Until the Ukranian conflict reared it's ugly head Gazprom was one of the Russian oil companies literally making money hand over fist but no longer. Finally have you other overseas investments and how do you feel about this predicament you are currently in?
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Zero, unless you are planning to move to Russia, Iran, or North Korea.

EDIT: The interesting question now is whether you can declare it a total loss. FYI: https://www.pkfod.com/insights/tax-trea ... securities
Topic Author
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

swong wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:29 am In the interest of info sharing with other fellow investors how did you come upon deciding investing in Russian equities in the first place? For a while I too was interested in investments in China but balked when they also started experiencing banrupcies in the housing market, and when restrictions on selling high end semiconductors this gave me pause for any overseas investments. Until the Ukranian conflict reared it's ugly head Gazprom was one of the Russian oil companies literally making money hand over fist but no longer. Finally have you other overseas investments and how do you feel about this predicament you are currently in?
It was pure greed. Gazprom is, as you said a great company. Was trading around 30, down to 3 thought the war would last the year, another few years of chilly relations and then back to a semblance of detente again.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Paracelsus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:55 am I had money in both Gazprom and RSX when they were delisted. A year ago there was an option to convert shares but you had to open a Russian account via third parties and to be honest I couldn't figure out how to do it

Did you see this thread about a reporter doing a story on it?

viewtopic.php?t=423800
csr

Post by csr »

Paracelsus wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:55 am A year ago there was an option to convert shares but you had to open a Russian account via third parties and to be honest I couldn't figure out how to do it

Russia stock index is up 25% over the past year, outperforming both the Dow and S&P500. I would hold on to them if you can.