Locked-out of Treasury Direct

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Locked-out of Treasury Direct

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Today, I was locked-out of my Treasury Direct account because I apparently did not answer a security question the exact same way I had originally entered it. Normally, I would not be too upset, but dealing with any government entity gets me very nervous. Can anyone give me a sense of what I am going to be up against in proving my identity to them?
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
livesoft

Re: Locked-out of Tresury Direct

Post by livesoft »

No problem anymore. They are now used to helping people locked out of their accounts.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Re: Locked-out of Tresury Direct

Post by Call_Me_Op »

livesoft wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:01 am No problem anymore. They are now used to helping people locked out of their accounts.
Thanks Livessoft. I don't feel as bad now.
mmmmbrisket

Re: Locked-out of Treasury Direct

Post by mmmmbrisket »

I had this issue just this past week. I called and got right through. I had to answer the security questions on the phone and they reviewed the answers afterward and pointed out my mistake. They unlocked my account right away and was able to log back in while still on the phone
Tier1Capital

Post by Tier1Capital »

I was in the same situation 2-3 months ago. I called TD when they opened and quickly resolved everything with no wait.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:00 am Today, I was locked-out of my Treasury Direct account because I apparently did not answer a security question the exact same way I had originally entered it. Normally, I would not be too upset, but dealing with any government entity gets me very nervous. Can anyone give me a sense of what I am going to be up against in proving my identity to them?
a tip for the future: use the same word for all security questions
AlwaysLearningMore

Post by AlwaysLearningMore »

SethJane42 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:12 pm
Call_Me_Op wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:00 am Today, I was locked-out of my Treasury Direct account because I apparently did not answer a security question the exact same way I had originally entered it. Normally, I would not be too upset, but dealing with any government entity gets me very nervous. Can anyone give me a sense of what I am going to be up against in proving my identity to them?
Interesting tip, thank you.
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

AlwaysLearningMore wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:16 pm
It's interesting because I am pretty sure I entered it correctly - but I do have fat fingers (literally).
AlwaysLearningMore

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:03 pm
It's interesting because I am pretty sure I entered it correctly - but I do have fat fingers (literally).
As you know, passwords are now case sensitive. That may have been the problem?
Retirement is best when you have a lot to live on, and a lot to live for. * None of what I post is investment advice.* | FIRE'd July 2023
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

AlwaysLearningMore wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:32 pm
As you know, passwords are now case sensitive. That may have been the problem?
No - not a password - a security question.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Just wanted to follow up. I got right through to TD. They asked me a ton of questions - very rigorous. At the end of all of it, they unlocked my account. This interaction gave me a high degree of confidence that it would be very difficult for anyone to pose as you when dealing with them.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

We use a password manager.

The answer to the security questions associated with a site are in the notes section for that login. I generally cut and paste from the password manager.

That seems more secure than reusing a word for all security questions, especially across sites.

And of course, the "answer" to a given question is perhaps not ... true.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

TN_Boy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:11 am

The answer to the security questions associated with a site are in the notes section for that login. I generally cut and paste from the password manager.

That seems more secure than reusing a word for all security questions, especially across sites.

+1.
Use password manager and let it create random answer for security questions. IMO, this is much more secure than real answers or some real answer modified with a memorized appendage.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Turns out that my problem was I had originally given an untrue answer to a security question but had forgotten i had done that (20 years ago).
AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 »

mmmmbrisket wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:43 pm I had this issue just this past week. I called and got right through. I had to answer the security questions on the phone and they reviewed the answers afterward and pointed out my mistake. They unlocked my account right away and was able to log back in while still on the phone
Same here, they were very easy to deal with. It was my mistake answering the security questions.
student

Post by student »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Turns out that my problem was I had originally given an untrue answer to a security question but had forgotten i had done that (20 years ago).
I think many people do that for security. You know it is secure if it is too difficult for you to have the correct answer. (joke)
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

This is encouraging. My password saver worked with the virtual keyboard but since they got rid of it, I no longer had my account number. I tried to answer the questions and I guess I got them wrong. I was hesitant to deal with this but tried again today and got locked out. My first instinct was to do a search here and I found this thread. I was worried I'd have to go get the Medallian Signature Guarantee but it seems like I should be able to resolved my problem by calling them tomorrow. (I just tried calling but they are already closed). I'll update after I call them.
wander

Post by wander »

That's interesting. They never asked me about any security question. If they do, I will get my account locked too.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

You may want to be careful about doing that. Remember that TreasuryDirect has no fraud reimbursement guarantee. That is part of why the security is so stringent, and it's been mentioned here before as a reason for hesitation for electronic savings bonds.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Makefile wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:05 pm
You may want to be careful about doing that. Remember that TreasuryDirect has no fraud reimbursement guarantee. That is part of why the security is so stringent, and it's been mentioned here before as a reason for hesitation for electronic savings bonds.
Indeed. This also gets me nervous, despite the very strong security that TD has in place.

I actually thought that the virtual keyboard they used to have for password entry was a good idea. Anyone know why they ditched it for the standard keyboard entry?
student

Post by student »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:19 am
Indeed. This also gets me nervous, despite the very strong security that TD has in place.

I actually thought that the virtual keyboard they used to have for password entry was a good idea. Anyone know why they ditched it for the standard keyboard entry?
Thanks for the update with your positive experience when calling them. Just pure speculation on my part on the reason of virtual keyboard. People in general do not like it.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

student wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:08 am

Thanks for the update with your positive experience when calling them. Just pure speculation on my part on the reason of virtual keyboard. People in general do not like it.
I believe you are right. However, inconvenience often comes with increased security - and i would accept this trade-off given the proliferation of determined criminals these days. Personally, I did not find it a problem.
student

Post by student »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:32 am
student wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:08 am

I believe you are right. However, inconvenience often comes with increased security - and i would accept this trade-off given the proliferation of determined criminals these days. Personally, I did not find it a problem.
I did not have a problem either. (Actually, I did have one compliant. No cap.)
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I am locked out to, vaguely remember making a purchase this year, was trying to update my portfolio tracker.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
AlwaysLearningMore

Good point. Thanks for bringing up that aspect.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:19 am Indeed. This also gets me nervous, despite the very strong security that TD has in place.

I suspect they got a lot of usability complaints about the virtual keyboard. People have become quite averse to typing in a password. There were snippets of JavaScript going around on Reddit, etc. to defeat the TreasuryDirect virtual keyboard and paste in a password.

There is a debate within security over whether it's more secure to use a password manager that stores long, complicated passwords in encrypted form, where the user only remembers a single, long, complex "master password" in order to decrypt the stored passwords on demand, versus trying to remember unique, strong passwords for every site. But of course, most people do not use such a password manager and instead rely on the browser's "remember password" feature without setting any master password, and the built-in "remember password" confirmation prompt has become pretty aggressive at getting a "yes" answer in recent years.
framus

Post by framus »

Makefile wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:16 pm
Call_Me_Op wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:19 am Indeed. This also gets me nervous, despite the very strong security that TD has in place.

I suspect they got a lot of usability complaints about the virtual keyboard. People have become quite averse to typing in a password. There were snippets of JavaScript going around on Reddit, etc. to defeat the TreasuryDirect virtual keyboard and paste in a password.

There is a debate within security over whether it's more secure to use a password manager that stores long, complicated passwords in encrypted form, where the user only remembers a single, long, complex "master password" in order to decrypt the stored passwords on demand, versus trying to remember unique, strong passwords for every site. But of course, most people do not use such a password manager and instead rely on the browser's "remember password" feature without setting any master password, and the built-in "remember password" confirmation prompt has become pretty aggressive at getting a "yes" answer in recent years.
I'm one of those who found the virtual keyboard to be a real problem. Entering a complex password manually using that thing was maddening. It seemed to have been implemented for the use of shorter, simpler passwords with no thought for how it might impact more complex passwords.
-Framus
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Makefile wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:16 pm

I never let the browser remember passwords to critical sites.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

framus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:06 am I'm one of those who found the virtual keyboard to be a real problem. Entering a complex password manually using that thing was maddening. It seemed to have been implemented for the use of shorter, simpler passwords with no thought for how it might impact more complex passwords.
-Framus
I actually tried to sign up for TreasuryDirect during their era of the decoder cards (essentially two-factor, but with the one time passcode computed by hand like having to look up values in the tables in the back of a math textbook) but flunked identity verification so I never got one :(

My understanding is that the virtual keyboard was the replacement for the decoder cards, and that initially the virtual keyboard layout was randomized on each visit to the site rather than always being QWERTY (which must have really frustrated people as that part of it seems to have been backed out quite early on). I don't see any advantage of it other than potentially providing some protection against keystroke loggers on the user's machine, which seems an odd priority given all the other issues with the site.

It is interesting that they came up with this stuff when another part of the very same government (NIST) has very detailed standards for how to design an authentication system.

"New Treasury Direct," the website, dates only from 2001 but there is suspicion it is papering over an older, mainframe-oriented system that might explain some of the limitations in what they can do.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I was locked out as well. Easy fix, called today 5 minute phone call and access restored. Also locked out of Vanguard and restored access within 4 min.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

That works much of the time, but there is a residuum of sites that enforce a requirement of different security answers for every question.

[ADDED]And in fact Treasury Direct is one of them.

I haven't really got that licked yet. I've tried ideas like "teacherpfifltrigi" for "third-grade teacher" and "mascotpfifltrigi" for "high school mascot" but it's tricky remembering how to abbreviate the question and what you decided to do for case and punctuation. And you have to remember that "oh, this is one of the sites where I had to differentiate the answers."

Actually case and punctuation are a bear. If you honeymooned at Niagara Falls, how do you remember if you answered Niagara Falls or niagara falls or niagarafalls? They rarely tell you if the answers are case-sensitive, and they usually are--even to the point where if you accidentally typed niagara falls when you set it up, it won't accept niagara falls as an answer.

No, my security code isn't really "pfifltrigi," that's a reference to C. S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet. Actually it would be a terrible choice as I have trouble remembering how to spell pfifltrigi.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:14 pm
That works much of the time, but there is a residuum of sites that enforce a requirement of different security answers for every question.

[ADDED]And in fact Treasury Direct is one of them.

I haven't really got that licked yet. I've tried ideas like "teacherpfifltrigi" for "third-grade teacher" and "mascotpfifltrigi" for "high school mascot" but it's tricky remembering how to abbreviate the question and what you decided to do for case and punctuation. And you have to remember that "oh, this is one of the sites where I had to differentiate the answers."

Actually case and punctuation are a bear. If you honeymooned at Niagara Falls, how do you remember if you answered Niagara Falls or niagara falls or niagarafalls? They rarely tell you if the answers are case-sensitive, and they usually are--even to the point where if you accidentally typed niagara falls when you set it up, it won't accept niagara falls as an answer.

No, my security code isn't really "pfifltrigi," that's a reference to C. S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet. Actually it would be a terrible choice as I have trouble remembering how to spell pfifltrigi.
I use easy to type answers to security questions. The answers are not the true answers. Answers are different for each question. I do not believe trying to guess my answers would be a fruitful endeavor.

(This is the important part)

To prevent me from answering a security question incorrectly, the security question and answer is stored in the notes section of my password manager. So if I go to a website and get asked a security question, I bring up the password manager and copy and paste the answer from the password manager into the web site.
cubs1999

Post by cubs1999 »

I finally took time to unlock my account. As others have said, there is little to no wait now. After I got through the phone menu, the person picked up right away. After I verified a bunch of info, the account was unlocked. Person provided me with the security question that I missed and the answer I had put down is one I wouldn't have guess with even like 30 tries.

I think I originally got locked out because the account number was saved and worked when I used the old virtual keyboard but when they got rid of that, the password manager had the password but not the account number info.
mccrary66

Post by mccrary66 »

Today, I had my account locked as well.

I use 1 password manager, which has my account number and password information. I received the email with the passcode.
Copied and pasted the passcode and then used 1 password for my password.

It then took me to a screen to verify my account info. Name, phone, and address. I noticed my address needed to be updated (moved last year) and when I clicked Edit to edit account info - it locked my account.

Wasn't asked any security questions. Never had a problem accessing before. I check monthly for interest amount. This was first time i had been asked to verify info that I can remember.

Guess I will be calling Monday morning. Hopefully government isn't shut down. :-)
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

++++1
Last edited by TheRoundHeadedKid on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

TheRoundHeadedKid wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 am I've also been locked out my Treasury Direct account. Last time I logged on was over 10 years ago. Luckily, I only got paper I-bonds before they stopped offering that and can redeem them through my bank. I also can check the returns on my specific I-bonds by entering their serial number without logging on to Treasury Direct. I was thinking about buying more I-Bonds, the electronic variety, but I guess not.
You can call Treasury Direct and have them unlock your account. They are quite rigorous about security though, so you may need to remember answers to security questions you gave them many years ago.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Call_Me_Op wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:50 am
TheRoundHeadedKid wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:39 am I've also been locked out my Treasury Direct account. Last time I logged on was over 10 years ago. Luckily, I only got paper I-bonds before they stopped offering that and can redeem them through my bank. I also can check the returns on my specific I-bonds by entering their serial number without logging on to Treasury Direct. I was thinking about buying more I-Bonds, the electronic variety, but I guess not.
You can call Treasury Direct and have them unlock your account. They are quite rigorous about security though, so you may need to remember answers to security questions you gave them many years ago.
This is why I am always truthful in my security answers and use proper grammar. Childhood best friend? I would actually say "Eric" or something like that rather than just make it up.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
TheRoundHeadedKid

Post by TheRoundHeadedKid »

++++1
Last edited by TheRoundHeadedKid on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auream

Post by Auream »

z3r0c00l wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:53 am
This is why I am always truthful in my security answers and use proper grammar. Childhood best friend? I would actually say "Eric" or something like that rather than just make it up.
IMHO, this isn’t a great strategy for two reasons:
1. Too easy for others to guess. Especially in this day of over-sharing on social media. Or even for a crazy ex, etc.
2. Too easy for you to mix up. Maybe you did only have 1 best friend, but what about people who had 2 or 3 growing up? Which one did I pick, was it Eric, or was it Mark? Or my best friend in middle school Thomas? Did I just put “Eric” or was it “Eric Carter”?

Much better to just make up random answers, but store them in your password manager. I used to do truly randomly generated “password” style answers, but since there’s sometimes a case when you are expected to read these to a human I switched to using slightly ridiculous, long but readable answers. Like “City where you got married” I’d use something like “South McCrackenville”.
mepaus

Post by mepaus »

I called, they asked my questions, and then said I had to send in the Form FS 5444. Sent on 9/21. They emailed they got it on 9/25. The email said would take up to 20 weeks.

I can’t find any recent posts on if it really is taking 20 weeks.
KRP

Post by KRP »

I'm fairly certain TD is experiencing a security challenge bug of some sort at the moment (whether in the browser(s) or back-end handling or storage).

I ended up helping my parents with exactly this problem last week, and I'm certain the security response was typed correctly. When we got the TD account unlocked over the phone (including reading off the failing security response which the TD support agent visually confirmed), we then confirmed (with TD support on speakerphone with us) that the security response that was failing looked just like what my parents had noted. After navigating to the Edit security challenges page, visually inspecting the text field value which matched the expected answer (no extra trailing spaces or any other oddity), and then retyped the one failing security response into the text field and hit Save, that "cleared up the problem" such that the original security response worked when tested. We'll see how long that lasts....
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

My wife's account was locked today. She called. They are RIDICULOUSLY rigorous with the questions they ask both in terms of the number of questions and the difficulty in knowing the answers. For exmaple, they wanted to know the specific date that the last purchase was made in the account along with no less than 15 other questions. At the end, they informed her she failed the algorithm and would have to go the route of the stupid paper form needing to be medlallion stamped by the Governor and the US President.

NEVER AGAIN WILL WE BUY ANY SECURITIES IN TREASURY DIRECT.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

mepaus wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:53 am I called, they asked my questions, and then said I had to send in the Form FS 5444. Sent on 9/21. They emailed they got it on 9/25. The email said would take up to 20 weeks.

I can’t find any recent posts on if it really is taking 20 weeks.
Good lord.
vshun

Post by vshun »

I personally have great relief now pulling i bonds after 3 months of 3% interest and transferring them to Fidelity for rolling Tbills purchase. Still scared of this horror happening.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:49 am
My wife's account was locked today. She called. They are RIDICULOUSLY rigorous with the questions they ask both in terms of the number of questions and the difficulty in knowing the answers. For exmaple, they wanted to know the specific date that the last purchase was made in the account along with no less than 15 other questions. At the end, they informed her she failed the algorithm and would have to go the route of the stupid paper form needing to be medlallion stamped by the Governor and the US President.

<<and would have to go the route of the stupid paper form needing to be medlallion stamped by the Governor and the US President. <<

That would be hilarious if it weren't so insane. You've helped me finally make up my mind to cash in all my I-Bonds. Thank you for your post.
bobt77

Post by bobt77 »

This also just happened to me over this weekend. Here was my experience:

- called them at 8:00 am. Option 4, then option 2. Seems like this happens often enough for them to add a dedicated option.
- after about 40 rings, someone finally picked up. Transferred me to someone else who handles trust accounts.
- asked my security questions and a few more personal details. It turns out I had mistakenly entered the answer to one of the security questions.
- after all this, my account was unlocked. The rep said I could use the password reset function on the site to change my password if I don't remember it.

This whole interaction took 11 minutes.
Three-fund-portfolio: 60/40 (stock/bond), 60/40 (domestic/international)
Buzzhead

Post by Buzzhead »

Crazy platform that only survives because there is no competition.

I get locked out every time. Takes 10 minutes each time to get in. This thread is my therapy...
python99

Post by python99 »

I was locked out of my account after I attempted to change the password, I gave a wrong answer to a security question. It had been so long that I didn't know the answer and I just guessed. After two attempts at answers my account was locked. I could not get the account unlocked over the phone since it was a Trust Account. I had to complete Form 5444 and get it notarized and submit it along with all my trust documents. I just got it unlocked today, the total time to get the account unlocked was 27 weeks!
ikowik

Post by ikowik »

python99 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:01 am I was locked out of my account after I attempted to change the password, I gave a wrong answer to a security question. It had been so long that I didn't know the answer and I just guessed. After two attempts at answers my account was locked. I could not get the account unlocked over the phone since it was a Trust Account. I had to complete Form 5444 and get it notarized and submit it along with all my trust documents. I just got it unlocked today, the total time to get the account unlocked was 27 weeks!
This is a good reason to keep some form of password management which records answers to security questions, so nonsense answers can be used without running the risk of forgetting.
A password manager would serve this purpose.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

evelynmanley wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:42 pm
Escapevelocity wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:49 am

<<and would have to go the route of the stupid paper form needing to be medlallion stamped by the Governor and the US President. <<

That would be hilarious if it weren't so insane. You've helped me finally make up my mind to cash in all my I-Bonds. Thank you for your post.
We submitted the paper form via USPS to unlock wife's TD account in MID OCTOBER and here we are 3 MONTHS later and still unable to log in. She called them in early Dec to verify they received the form we submitted (no they do not notify you when they receive it) and gave no indication what the hold up is other than they are still processing it. This is so frustrating since we have $45k in IBonds that I wanted to sell 3 months ago.