Portfolio Watch

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JD101

Portfolio Watch

Post by JD101 »

I have account at Schwab(1 fund) and Vanguard( 4-5 funds) and Fidelity(1 fund, 401k). I thought it would be easier to add Schwab and Fidelity to portfolio watch at Vanguard and input things like Fund ticker, no of shares, cost basis etc and then from there the portfolio watch would keep track and provide me the snapshot on how my asset classes, stock/bonds ratio look like etc. When I added other account, it is showing the total portfolio value but it is not showing proper stock/bonds ratio. Am I missing something? Has anyone done it at Schwab? I haven't tried it there.
JD
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: Portfolio Watch

Post by grabiner »

Portfolio Watch at Vanguard has lots of problems even with Vanguard funds. If you don't want to use your own spreadsheet to track your allocation, it's better to use Morningstar's Portfolio X-Ray.
Wiki David Grabiner
Highfeehater

Post by Highfeehater »

It's not your imagination. I have had lots of issues with Vanguard's Portfolio Watch.
beyou

Post by beyou »

For external accts, you have to try each holding and see how it impacts. Some funds you are better off creating a proxy, a fund that has accurate data, similar holdings, but compute # of shares needed for same market value as your actual holding. This us helpful for proprietary 401k funds, savings bonds etc. Sometimes even for public funds a proxy can be better but more work.

Or use M* and pay their annual fee, it does work better than Port Watch.

Note I reported many issues with Port Watch to Vanguard. I got a rep who understood, but all he could do is relay my documented issues and make no promises. I fully expect no progress anytime soon.
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

Guys,
Those of you who have accounts with Fidelity, you should be able to link the Vanguard and Schwab assets. You may be able link other institutions as well. I like this tool. At Vanguard and Schwab, you have to manually enter this info, which the small % may get left out and things change over time, automatically updating is a good thing.
JD
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I have Vanguard, Fidelity, Ally and Chase accounts and use Fidelity's free "Full View" tool to get a composite overview across my total portfolio.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 11 years 😀
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JD101 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:48 am I have account at Schwab(1 fund) and Vanguard( 4-5 funds) and Fidelity(1 fund, 401k). I thought it would be easier to add Schwab and Fidelity to portfolio watch at Vanguard and input things like Fund ticker, no of shares, cost basis etc and then from there the portfolio watch would keep track and provide me the snapshot on how my asset classes, stock/bonds ratio look like etc. When I added other account, it is showing the total portfolio value but it is not showing proper stock/bonds ratio. Am I missing something? Has anyone done it at Schwab? I haven't tried it there.
Just because one updates Balances & Holdings does NOT mean that the Portfolio Watch tool knows about that update. Try again in 30 minutes, 1 hour, overnight and see what happens.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm
Just because one updates Balances & Holdings does NOT mean that the Portfolio Watch tool knows about that update. Try again in 30 minutes, 1 hour, overnight and see what happens.
I haven't tried it long enough but I believe there is a refresh button and once you click on it it should update if it hasn't already updated. When I looked at it this morning everything seems to be updated. Not sure when is the last time you used this tool because they may have updated it over time. Do you know if any better tool where you can keep track of asset allocation?
JD
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JD101 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:31 pm
livesoft wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm
I haven't tried it long enough but I believe there is a refresh button and once you click on it it should update if it hasn't already updated. When I looked at it this morning everything seems to be updated. Not sure when is the last time you used this tool because they may have updated it over time. Do you know if any better tool where you can keep track of asset allocation?
I showed some in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=150267 but things have changed a little bit. I just use Portfolio Watch nowadays, but sometimes I use the Fidelity Analysis tool.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

JD101 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:31 pm ... Do you know if any better tool where you can keep track of asset allocation?
I like the Personal Capital (free) tool. It's very accurate, at least for my linked accounts. For those uncomfortable linking external accounts, you can manually add your holdings. BTW, even though I don't use them for portfolio management, their tech support was very responsive when I stopped getting my daily emailed transaction summary.
Retired 2018 | currently ~58/38/4 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

When you link up accounts, you have to provide login and password for all the accounts you want to link up and not sure where and how it gets saved, that the data in encrypted. Do you think this can be a concern?
JD
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

JD101 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:34 am When you link up accounts, you have to provide login and password for all the accounts you want to link up and not sure where and how it gets saved, that the data in encrypted. Do you think this can be a concern?
Yes, it would be a concern to me.

Providing login and password to anyone is probably a violation of the terms of service for any of the major financial firms, which could mean if you're a hacking victim you'd find yourself out of luck. I'd find a way to update things manually on a quarterly basis.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

retired@50 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am

Providing login and password to anyone is probably a violation of the terms of service for any of the major financial firms, which could mean if you're a hacking victim you'd find yourself out of luck. I'd find a way to update things manually on a quarterly basis.

Regards,
I'm not talking going to some 3rd party aggregator but limiting the usage through firms such as Fidelity. Fidelity hosts this and Vanguard and Schwab provides the info, that means they must have worked out security issues.
JD
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

JD101 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:05 am
retired@50 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am

Regards,
I'm not talking going to some 3rd party aggregator but limiting the usage through firms such as Fidelity. Fidelity hosts this and Vanguard and Schwab provides the info, that means they must have worked out security issues.
I'd run that theory by Vanguard and Schwab before proceeding.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

1) Portfolio Watch has always sucked. Always.

It's not clear how or where they get the asset composition of the fund, but for non-Vanguard funds it's often wrong. I first encountered this when I noticed that it was counting a non-Vanguard fund as having all US stocks when it actually had a significant allocation to international stocks.

I have a suspicion that in some cases they may be basing it on nothing more than the broad fund category, "international stocks" or "large-cap blend" and not on actual composition

What finally tore it for me was when Portfolio Watch was showing a different stock/bond/cash allocation for Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate than Vanguard's own web page for the fund. The reason was that the fund, at that time, held short-term bonds as "short-term reserves" and their official pie charts for the fund called that "short-term reserves," but Portfolio Watch called it "bonds." That may seem like a nit-pick but I felt and feel strongly that Vanguard ought to be consistent in how it categorizes things.

2) I was taught that the thing about a password is that you don't disclose it. Period. You don't decide whether it's safe case by case, you just don't do it.

When you get into your car, you don't decide whether to fasten your seatbelt depending on how dangerous the trip will be, you just fasten it. You always fasten your seatbelt. You never disclose your passwords.

Every website that wants your password is likely to have a popup explaining "Why this is safe." Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I don't do it. Why not? Because it's a password, and you don't disclose passwords.

Full disclosure: I did do it once circa maybe 1998 with Financial Engines. It still bothers me. I eventually cancelled the account and it said it would delete my information but of course I have no away to verify that it did. But nothing bad happened and I've since changed all my passwords. A perfect example of the potential risks is that even when some website is OK, things could change. For example, Financial Engines was bought by Edelman Financial Services, a firm which doesn't give me warm fuzzies. eToys had TRUSTe privacy certification and a simple no-disclosure-period privacy policy, and when it ran into business troubles, their customer data was one of the assets they offered to creditors.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
like2read

Post by like2read »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:25 am I was taught that the thing about a password is that you don't disclose it. Period. You don't decide whether it's safe case by case, you just don't do it.

When you get into your car, you don't decide whether to fasten your seatbelt depending on how dangerous the trip will be, you just fasten it. You always fasten your seatbelt. You never disclose your passwords.

Every website that wants your password is likely to have a popup explaining "Why this is safe." Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I don't do it. Why not? Because it's a password, and you don't disclose passwords.
+1 Exactly.
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

Here when we talk about assets allocation or asset mix typically we refer to it as mix of stocks and bonds in broad terms. As you are monitoring your portfolio, you may have more categories such as:

US stocks and International stocks are obviously going to stocks column.
How about REIT, emerging market etc?
I-bonds, can they go in bonds section? How about cash? If you can let me know how you are categorizing it would be helpful.
I would think US stocks, international stocks, REITs, emerging markets can go in stocks column and everything else can go in bonds column. Just want to make sure I am not ignoring any vital details.
JD
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

sleepysurf wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:56 pm
JD101 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:31 pm ... Do you know if any better tool where you can keep track of asset allocation?
I like the Personal Capital (free) tool. It's very accurate, at least for my linked accounts. For those uncomfortable linking external accounts, you can manually add your holdings. BTW, even though I don't use them for portfolio management, their tech support was very responsive when I stopped getting my daily emailed transaction summary.
Personal Capital is not allowing manually adding your holding? I wish there was a site where you would provide the ticker and it would get the fund related information from the available sources and we just manually input the current market price and it would provide you snap shot of asset mix. This will avoid having to share a password to automatically link.

I just found out Schwab portfolio check is not showing correct asset mix. I have everything at schwab in target retirement fund and when I look at % asset mix, it should match with what is shown on the portfolio page of the fund.
JD
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

JD101 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 am Personal Capital is not allowing manually adding your holding? I wish there was a site where you would provide the ticker and it would get the fund related information from the available sources and we just manually input the current market price and it would provide you snap shot of asset mix. This will avoid having to share a password to automatically link...
Not sure what you mean. You can manually create a portfolio in Personal Capital, with custom tickers and number of shares owned, and it will update the current share price/value daily, along with an overall asset allocation breakdown. You don't have to link it to your brokerage accounts. I just tested this feature, and it works perfectly.
Retired 2018 | currently ~58/38/4 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

you have to link one account first and then I see there is option to manually add your investments. Thanks then I removed my small linked bank account.
JD
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

JD101 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:54 pm you have to link one account first and then I see there is option to manually add your investments. Thanks then I removed my small linked bank account.
You don't even need to link one account first. Just manually create a non-linked portfolio, give it a name, and go from there. Here are their instructions... https://support.personalcapital.com/hc/ ... s-Holdings
Topic Author
JD101

Post by JD101 »

What is the best way to watch portfolio asset mix? I linked all accounts with fidelity but then someone brought up security issue so I disconnected it all. I then created Personal capital( manual entries), Portfolio watch at Schwab but % seem to be off.

For e.g. at Schwab I have investment only in one fund, TDF, the portfolio watch should provide me exactly the same % as the fund portfolio page tell me but it is Off. I chat with Schwab and they said portfolio watch may not be using the current holdings.

I have a spread sheet that does provide me good info but you have to manually allocate things such as REIT etc, I wish there was something online and then use spread sheet to tally to make sure you are not off more than few % points. The problem could be because TDF funds do not only hold US stocks, International stocks, and bonds. Sometimes they categorize is as "others", emerging markets etc.
JD