[Vanguard] Portfolio Watch won’t allow new outside account additions

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
starr15

[Vanguard] Portfolio Watch won’t allow new outside account additions

Post by starr15 »

I had used Vanguard’s Portfolio Watch for decades. I tried to add a new Schwab account, but there is no option I can find to add an outside account for automatic updates with provided login and password. One can add another Vanguard account or manually enter outside investments, but no option to add an outside brokerage account. What am I missing?

[Title edited to add “Vanguard.” —moderator Kendall]
livesoft

Re: [Vanguard] Portfolio Watch won’t allow new outside account additions

Post by livesoft »

I would call that a feature. For decades I have just manually updated share amounts of the outside accounts. That hasn't been a problem because the share amounts rarely change AND I am not adding new investments anyways, so the ticker symbols never change. In other words, Vanguard Portfolio Watch taught me to have very few investments and to not trade them. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

starr15 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:49 pm What am I missing?
Nothing, that's just the way it works. To support the feature you want, Vanguard would have to pay various costs (development & test, maintenance, security, customer support, etc.) that apparently they're not willing to pay.

Personally I wouldn't use a feature where I need to provide my security credentials at one custodian to another custodian. I track my portfolio with my own spreadsheet and update it every now and then.

Edited to add: based on later replies, it appears Vanguard is (was?) willing to support the feature. Perhaps it's another example of them having trouble updating the website...
Last edited by sycamore on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I don't recall Vanguard ever having import capability. I manually updated my 401k summary twice a year for many years.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

I prefer using my own spreadsheet.

I simply copy and past the values of each account, and from those numbers other pages of worksheets can auto populate to break things down into types of accounts, and provide certain useful values and totals such as:

Account locations and content
Cash equivalents for current expenses
Taxable
Tax deferred with RMDs
Tax deferred without RMDs (such as Ibonds)
Tax free (Roths, HSAs)
Owner of non jointly owned accounts including by tax status
RMD requirements based on the EOY numbers
Theoretical values for withdrawals from each account type using a few different withdrawal rates for each
(With and without SS incomes.)

Life insurance death benefit and cash values ( I bought WL when I did not know better...but the dividends and CVs make it worth keeping at this time.)

Real estate values

These values are updated once a month, and only kept as a year end result when the next year is started.

It takes about 15 minutes to update each month, or at the EOY.
It does not require me to supply other institutions with passwords or access to any of our accounts.

That spreadsheet if more detailed, more organized, but also more compact than any one summary program I have seen online, and it has only what I believe is useful. The things it does not have are easily seen by signing into the accounts.

It is also easy to view and understand for us, our adult offspring, attorneys, or accountants.
ejm009

Post by ejm009 »

I see the ability to add outside investments under 'balances and holdings'. Not directly part of portfolio watch, but once linked, Fidelity holdings are understood by portfolio watch. PW cannot understand custom holdings inside 401k's like CITs for which there is no market symbol.
Topic Author
starr15

Post by starr15 »

Under Balances and Holdings, I only see options to add another Vanguard account or add outside investments manually.
I don’t think Vanguard still has the option to automatically import and update outside accounts via login and pw anymore.
I have been using the pw and login feature to import and automatically update an outside brokerage account for decades. The outside account assets were then included in Portfolio Watch and I did not have to manually update them, which was nice. Apparently, this feature does not exist anymore. :annoyed
ejm009

Post by ejm009 »

I still see the option and have linked accounts. It may be once you have no linked accounts, you lose the ability to add them. I would give Vanguard a call. I use Vanguard PW with linked accounts, but Personal Capital is a much better option.
RichK

Post by RichK »

I have been moving accounts from Vanguard to Schwab. I have several Schwab accounts which are integrated into the Vanguard account just as you do. About two months ago, I added another Schwab account with no problem. These accounts are updating properly.

I tried the Vanguard account this morning and I see what you mean about adding a new account; it was just asking to add specific assets. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the last account I moved to Schwab brought me below Vanguard Flagship status (not that there is any "status" associated with Flagship).
Topic Author
starr15

Post by starr15 »

I bet that is what happened. One you delete all your linked accounts, you lose the feature.
Evidence of further deterioration of Vanguard services. They just don’t want to budget any funds to improve and support the software. The company has changed over the last 20 years, and not in a good way.