anyone else tax loss harvesting like crazy?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
LeeAtlantica2020

anyone else tax loss harvesting like crazy?

Post by LeeAtlantica2020 »

We've now seen a very volatile and downward trending market. Anyone else tax loss harvesting repeatedly?

In my taxable Fidelity brokerage, as soon as 2022 turned over, I converted some of my dumb early tax-inefficient investments (VWELX + factor ETFs, all bought on account of an investment advisor I dumped) to a simpler 80/20 portfolio, with FXNAX being the bonds part and FSKAX and VXUS being the stocks part (mostly domestic exposure, maybe 10-15% in international). Yes, I know FSKAX not as optimal as, say, VTI, but for idiosyncratic reasons I preferred Fidelity's total market funds. Ended up with about $100k in realized gains after selling off VWELX and the factor ETFs.

Then the market dipped, and after 8 weeks I did TLH on a 100% basis -- all of FXNAX to FUAMX, all of FSKAX to FZROX, all of VXUS to IXUS. Was able to reduce the realized gains after all the short-term losses by about $20-30k.

Now 8 weeks later, market's downward trends continue, and I flipped back -- all of FUAMX back to FXNAX, all of FZROX back to FSKAX, all of IXUS back to VXUS. More short-term losses, now total realized gains for 2022 down to about $40k. (making sure dividend payouts are not violating wash sale rule)

I've TLH'd before but not more than once every few years. Now at this rate of market downturn, I may just about break even for the year. Or maybe even net myself a loss for the year! But as a set-it-and-forget-it investor, even this tiny number of trades makes me wary.

Is anyone else doing the same thing, flip-flopping between TLH partnered funds/ETF's with some regularity during this cyclical dip?
H-Town

Re: anyone else tax loss harvesting like crazy?

Post by H-Town »

It's not crazy. It's just math.

I did TLH on 1/25, 3/1, 4/25, and 5/9.

It includes a round-trip between the 1/25 and 3/1 TLH orders.

On 4/25 and 5/9 orders, I'm still on the second alternative funds. If there is no TLH opportunities until 5/26, I will be able to round-trip back to original holdings. But who knows. If there's new TLH opportunities between now and 5/26, I'll TLH to the third alternative funds.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

I did a tax loss harvest yesterday.
Kim
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.
Topic Author
LeeAtlantica2020

Post by LeeAtlantica2020 »

Thx for the prompt response. I just wonder what the Fidelity/Schwab/Vanguard/etc. managers are thinking as they see retail customers do this so frequently during these months. Meh, I guess as long as the funds stay under their custodial management, it doesn't matter what Joe Schmoe investors do.
scamper

Post by scamper »

Is anyone else doing the same thing, flip-flopping between TLH partnered funds/ETF's with some regularity during this cyclical dip?
Yes. For me, continuing to use the TLH feature in a taxable Schwab Intelligent Portfolio, set to most aggressive & US focus, and a Fidelity FIdfolios direct indexing account, set to international only. For a family member, using IXUS / VXUS and ITOT / VTI and harvesting manually. Lots of tripwires - can't have the ETF's in any other accounts even IRA's; keep dividend reinvestments turned off, don't flip back within 30 calendar days, etc. Great value for family member to reduce MAGI for social security benefit taxation (most advisors seem to say that TLH is only useful for those paying 15% on LTCG).

Jury is still out on Fidelity Fidfolios (0.4% AUM fee), but Schwab IP has been working great for several years (yes, it has the cash drag). Schwab tax reporting has been great - I am a bit afraid of what the Fidelity Fidfolios is going to do to the Schedule D length and complexity....
Chip

Post by Chip »

I would like to, but I don't have anything at a loss. The last purchases I made were TLH swaps during the covid plunge in 2020.

I'm kind of hoping I don't get the chance, though. :)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Almost all my equity basis was set on my last round trip in March, 2009. Doing some bonds though.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Sweetbriar

Post by Sweetbriar »

Yes...YTD $ 103,000 :happy
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Yes, I probably have 20 years of carryover losses banked now. :-D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

No, I don’t have any losses.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

LeeAtlantica2020 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:25 pm I just wonder what the Fidelity/Schwab/Vanguard/etc. managers are thinking as they see retail customers do this so frequently during these months. Meh, I guess as long as the funds stay under their custodial management, it doesn't matter what Joe Schmoe investors do.
I doubt that Fidelity/Schwab/Vanguard care very much about what retail customers are doing. All they see is order flow.

Tax loss harvesting is smart. You should not be bashful about doing it when available to you.

As for me, my highest cost shares were purchased during tax loss harvesting in March 2020. (I’m in drawdown mode). Thankfully, equity prices haven’t fallen below 3/20 levels yet.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

LeeAtlantica2020 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:25 pm Thx for the prompt response. I just wonder what the Fidelity/Schwab/Vanguard/etc. managers are thinking as they see retail customers do this so frequently during these months. Meh, I guess as long as the funds stay under their custodial management, it doesn't matter what Joe Schmoe investors do.
It’s a smart legitimate tactic. My Schwab person contacted me last week and encouraged it. I’m clear of wash sale rules again on Friday and will do another round.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Sorry if this is duplicate, something happened.
I bought some VTSAX shares yesterday, 5/10.
I have TLHed into VTSAX from Index500, two funds that form major holdings in our taxable.
I have no losses in other funds.
I have several lots in red in VTSAX as I have been consolidating my holdings into that fund.
How soon can i TLH these VTSAX lots without violating any TLH rules?
Thanks
student

Post by student »

I am also doing it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I TLH when I can get at least $1k of losses in a single transaction.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

PinotGris wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:25 am Sorry if this is duplicate, something happened.
I bought some VTSAX shares yesterday, 5/10.
I have TLHed into VTSAX from Index500, two funds that form major holdings in our taxable.
I have no losses in other funds.
I have several lots in red in VTSAX as I have been consolidating my holdings into that fund.
How soon can i TLH these VTSAX lots without violating any TLH rules?
Thanks
You don't have to wait to sell VTSAX. You would need to sell any VTSAX lots you bought within the 30 days before the date you sell at a loss. And you should turn off automatic reinvestment of dividends/capital gains into VTSAX and elect to send them to your settlement fund. You would need a TLH partner other than VTSAX and VFIAX/VOO (if you TLH VFIAX within the past 30 days). This all assumes you or your spouse don't hold VTSAX in any other accounts.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Tax loss harvesting is market timing. But it sounds so much better than I sold a bad investment for a loss. :wink:

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Hola

Post by Hola »

bobcat2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm Tax loss harvesting is market timing. But it sounds so much better than I sold a bad investment for a loss. :wink:

BobK
Hi BobK, do you not TLH? Wondering if you really think there is no value to it. Thx.
smooth_rough

Post by smooth_rough »

bobcat2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm Tax loss harvesting is market timing. But it sounds so much better than I sold a bad investment for a loss. :wink:

BobK
The inflation rate isn't going back down to 2% without fed rate increases. What is better strategy for bond investors?
Lady Geek is a cruel mistress.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bobcat2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 pm Tax loss harvesting is market timing.
I disagree, presuming that you reinvest the proceeds into a similar, but not identical, asset.
Former life insurance company financial officer who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

BobK
Why TLH is market timing? If done properly, you are still invested similarly before and after the TLH transaction.
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

Stinky wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:48 pm
I disagree, presuming that you reinvest the proceeds into a similar, but not identical, asset.
I’m not even sure there’s much of a debate here. It isn’t market timing. Moving shares nearly simultaneously from, say, IXUS to VXUS, has almost no impact on your net exposure to the international stock market. It just provides some tax deferral, which is a small but positive advantage.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

BobK
I don't think you understand tax loss harvesting.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Mike Scott wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm

BobK
Well at least I am in good company. Here's what Nobel prize winning financial economist Richard Thaler has to say about TLH.
Nobel laureate and behavioral economics pioneer Richard Thaler said. “Harvesting is such a nice term. Much better than ‘formally accepting the fact that this investment was a mistake,’” he said.
TLH is certainly not buy and hold and stay the course. What do you call a strategy that is not buy & hold and does not stay the course?

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

bobcat2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:19 pm

BobK
Well at least I am in good company. Here's what Nobel prize winning financial economist Richard Thaler has to say about TLH.
Nobel laureate and behavioral economics pioneer Richard Thaler said. “Harvesting is such a nice term. Much better than ‘formally accepting the fact that this investment was a mistake,’” he said.
TLH is certainly not buy and hold and stay the course. What do you call a strategy that is not buy & hold and does not stay the course?

BobK
Did he say the opposite for harvesting gain?

But seriously, you still buy & hold, before and after a TLH transaction.
Chip

Post by Chip »

bobcat2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:19 pm Well at least I am in good company. Here's what Nobel prize winning financial economist Richard Thaler has to say about TLH.

BobK
Do you imply from Thaler's quote that any investment that has a loss was a mistake? If so, isn't that likely confusing strategy with outcome?

Please explain how exchanging one total market fund for another and booking a tax loss isn't staying the course?
9-5 Suited

Post by 9-5 Suited »

BobK

BobK
Appealing to authority isn't a good argument structure. Thaler is, quite simply, wrong. Tell me this: yesterday I sold $20,000 of VXUS and invested it about 2 minutes later in IXUS, which has a 0.99 correlation. What market did I time?
lucha

Post by lucha »

Yup yup I am TLHing as much as possible... I am lucky because I recently had managed trust closed and distributed to me, from some inheritance, and it was outside of my control that 17K in gains were harvested before the distribution... now I get to offset those and continue with selling the rest of these weird ETFs from the trust that I never wanted to be in to begin with. :D :D Sometimes a bad thing is a good thing!
crit

Post by crit »

Yes. We had a large lump sum arrive in late November, and invested it. I've been trading it back and forth between VTSAX and VLCAX a few times since January. I also split some into international, and now have that going between partners.

Part of me wondered whether we really will use up all these losses, whether I should rack up such big negative numbers, since it's well beyond (estimated years working)*(-3000). But we're in a big bracket now, with some events involving gains possible, so it's quite likely that we'll in fact use it against gains instead of "losing" it by being in a low bracket.

A different perspective is to think of it as "limited access space" - just like you can only contribute $X to a retirement account but lose access to that space after the year is done, markets don't go down all the time (knock on wood). It's really only temporary that I have the opportunity to TLH, both because of that lump sum together with timing -- the chance to do this at all won't always be there. So I did.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Stinky wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:48 pm
+1. Arguably BH TLH is NOT market timing.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

No because I don't have much in the way of newly purchased shares.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

I'm TLH'ing... did it a couple times already this year with bonds and equities. Equities are about to make a round trip which is great as I'll merge things back down to a single ticker.

Bonds I'm sort of waiting a bit, I have $50-60k of losses to collect, but I figure there's no rush, I don't see the Fed reversing course anytime soon.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

BobK

BobK
Are you recommending that I get out of total market index funds? They are a mistake and everyone on this board has made a horrible error? What investment are you recommending?
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Yes. I have adjusted my dollar threshold up on what I harvest because I am running out of alternatives from actively harvesting the last 30 days.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

BobK

BobK
I would no more go to an economist for tax advice than I would go to a biology professor for medical advice. Shoot, I wouldn't even go to a tax preparer for serious tax advice -- they tend to look in the rear view mirror.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Right now 2/3 of the value in my taxable account is unrealized gain. But that is the virtue of being retired and not adding to investments anymore.

I last harvested losses around 2010 sometime.

Also, a transaction that replaces a holding with one of almost identical financial position sure sounds to me like staying the course. There is the problem that if you really have accomplished that it should be a wash sale according to how the law reads, but in practice apparently it is routine to get away with it.

Note that taking advantage of market declines to change an investment choice really is not staying the course, but people sometimes make bad choices and should fix them if the opportunity arises. I don't think we call that tax loss harvesting though.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

BobK
It's not timing if you buy a similar fund. E.g. VTI and ITOT. They basically perform the same. Selling one when it's down and immediately buying the other is a lateral move. Your economic position hasn't changed. But you get losses to offset either gains or income. If you have no gains, you get to take up to $3000 off of your income, which is anywhere from $300 to $1200 of tax savings. You'll give some of it back when you eventually sell, due to capital gains. (Though some of them might be at the 0% rate.)
dbr

Post by dbr »

exodusNH wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:58 am

BobK
It's not timing if you buy a similar fund. E.g. VTI and ITOT. They basically perform the same. Selling one when it's down and immediately buying the other is a lateral move. Your economic position hasn't changed. But you get losses to offset either gains or income. If you have no gains, you get to take up to $3000 off of your income, which is anywhere from $300 to $1200 of tax savings. You'll give some of it back when you eventually sell, due to capital gains. (Though some of them might be at the 0% rate.)
The latter is exactly what I have accomplished even though it is true that TLH then has me at greater unrealized gain now. Investors should be aware of the lifecycle effect of all this.
itispossible

Post by itispossible »

Is there a 101 guide on tax loss harvesting? I have never done this before. I had put ~$150K late last year into S&P500 and VWELX. Might have an opportunity to do some harvesting. Thanks.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

dbr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:02 am
exodusNH wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:58 am

BobK
The latter is exactly what I have accomplished even though it is true that TLH then has me at greater unrealized gain now. Investors should be aware of the lifecycle effect of all this.
The ol' rule says we defer taxes as long as we can. A dollar today worth more than a dollar in the future.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

itispossible wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:08 am Is there a 101 guide on tax loss harvesting? I have never done this before. I had put ~$150K late last year into S&P500 and VWELX. Might have an opportunity to do some harvesting. Thanks.
Go to Wiki and look it up. It's all there.
xpy1999

Post by xpy1999 »

If I sell a target retirement fund like 2040 and buy another target retirement fund like 2045, is that a wash sale?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

xpy1999 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:22 am If I sell a target retirement fund like 2040 and buy another target retirement fund like 2045, is that a wash sale?
no
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

xpy1999 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:22 am If I sell a target retirement fund like 2040 and buy another target retirement fund like 2045, is that a wash sale?
There are no wash sales in retirement accounts because you can't ever TLH.

You can get a wash sale issue, if e.g., you have a S&P 500 fund in taxable and your IRA. The board is split on whether it applies to 401k plans as well.
plutoblackhole

Post by plutoblackhole »

I've gone ITOT -> VTI -> SCHB -> SPTM so far in May. Almost 10 years built up in deductions.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

plutoblackhole wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:44 am I've gone ITOT -> VTI -> SCHB -> SPTM so far in May. Almost 10 years built up in deductions.
hopefully you would be content to hold any of these forever since you don't know when the carousel will stop.

I did a (smaller -- only three each) rotation of US and non-US funds/ETFs in the 2008-09 TLH season.
plutoblackhole

Post by plutoblackhole »

jebmke wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:47 am
plutoblackhole wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:44 am I've gone ITOT -> VTI -> SCHB -> SPTM so far in May. Almost 10 years built up in deductions.
hopefully you would be content to hold any of these forever since you don't know when the carousel will stop.

I did a (smaller -- only three each) rotation of US and non-US funds/ETFs in the 2008-09 TLH season.
Yup, I'd be fine with any of them. I preferred to keep it between VTI / SCHB / ITOT, but I needed an extra TLH partner this time.
KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs »

Just pulled the trigger on Fido Total Market (FSKAX) to Fidelity S&P 500 (FXAIX).

Locked in over a dozen years of reducing my taxable income. Doesn't feel great, but it gives me some quantum of solace on the ride down... :?
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH | | "Remember, there's always money in the banana stand." - George Bluth, Sr.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

KingRiggs wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:03 am Just pulled the trigger on Fido Total Market (FSKAX) to Fidelity S&P 500 (FXAIX).

Locked in over a dozen years of reducing my taxable income. Doesn't feel great, but it gives me some quantum of solace on the ride down... :?
That’s $36k in reduced future taxable income. And probably $5k-$10k in future tax savings.

I’d call that a good day’s work!
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

KingRiggs wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:03 am Just pulled the trigger on Fido Total Market (FSKAX) to Fidelity S&P 500 (FXAIX).

Isn’t Quantum of Solace a BOND movie? :happy