Vanguard order "In Progress"

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Topic Author
Hitch
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by Hitch »

This afternoon, before 4pm Eastern Time, I placed a simple Sell order in my Vanguard Brokerage account.

The order status remained "In Progress" after 6pm ET, so I called Vanguard and asked why. The rep said not to worry, I'd see the status update by midnight ET.

Now it's almost 3am ET, and I've been checking on that "In Progress" trade all evening. A couple of minutes ago, the trade vanished from the Order Status page online, and there is no trace of it anywhere.

I trade very, very rarely, so I'm alarmed to see the trade disappear from the Order Status page. Is this normal?
rossington
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 am
Location: Florida

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by rossington »

Hitch wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 am This afternoon, before 4pm Eastern Time, I placed a simple Sell order in my Vanguard Brokerage account.

The order status remained "In Progress" after 6pm ET, so I called Vanguard and asked why. The rep said not to worry, I'd see the status update by midnight ET.

Now it's almost 3am ET, and I've been checking on that "In Progress" trade all evening. A couple of minutes ago, the trade vanished from the Order Status page online, and there is no trace of it anywhere.

I trade very, very rarely, so I'm alarmed to see the trade disappear from the Order Status page. Is this normal?
We don't know what the sell order was for but...relax it does take some time...it will be fine. Did you check your Transaction History?
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill.
Topic Author
Hitch
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by Hitch »

Thank you. I'm very grateful. It is indeed in the Transaction History.

I apologize for troubling everyone with my panic. I don't do this enough to know the ropes.
User avatar
Wiggums
Posts: 5047
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:02 am

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by Wiggums »

I don’t think that the midnight timeframe is correct. Your sell order will get processed since it is showing in the transaction history. Individual stocks have a different settlement time than mutual funds.
Investors need to be better informed about the costs they pay. “High fund fees can be hazardous to your wealth in the same way that high calories can be hazardous for your health.”
User avatar
celia
Posts: 14438
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by celia »

As Vanguard gains more customers, the number of accounts, mailings, and phone calls increase. Combine that with people being sick, working from home, and anxious to get their tax forms. Then you can understand why things are taking longer than they used to.
bondsr4me
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by bondsr4me »

celia wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:30 am As Vanguard gains more customers, the number of accounts, mailings, and phone calls increase. Combine that with people being sick, working from home, and anxious to get their tax forms. Then you can understand why things are taking longer than they used to.
+1….sounds reasonable to me.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 82124
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by LadyGeek »

No human ever touches those transactions (unless you ask for assistance). It's simply a matter of Vanguard delaying the account updates by a day or so.

As long as the transaction appears in the Transaction History, you're fine. Take a look at the transaction and you'll see two dates - Settlement Date and Trade Date.

Click on the Settlement Date for the details. The trade doesn't become "official" until the settlement date. After that, maybe a day later, the transaction will show up in a Quicken download.

For additional insight, take a look at the account's settlement fund. Purchases and redemptions go through the settlement fund. Click on the "Total credits and debits" link to see the transaction activity. Allow another day for that to settle out - the trade activity will eventually go back to 0.00.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
livesoft
Posts: 80186
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard is well known for lagging on updates, so if this is problem for anyone then they should avoid Vanguard and switch to a vendor that provides essentially real-time updates of what is going on with their money.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
260chrisb
Posts: 997
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by 260chrisb »

Hitch wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 am This afternoon, before 4pm Eastern Time, I placed a simple Sell order in my Vanguard Brokerage account.

The order status remained "In Progress" after 6pm ET, so I called Vanguard and asked why. The rep said not to worry, I'd see the status update by midnight ET.

Now it's almost 3am ET, and I've been checking on that "In Progress" trade all evening. A couple of minutes ago, the trade vanished from the Order Status page online, and there is no trace of it anywhere.

I trade very, very rarely, so I'm alarmed to see the trade disappear from the Order Status page. Is this normal?
My experience is that it takes a couple days for the transaction to be completed. I may not really understand how it works but if a fund trades at its NAV and I transacted an order when the market was closed my assumption is that they receive the order and process it for purchase when the market is open but can't buy it until it's NAV is established at the end of the day. I've never checked to see if I actually buy it at the price listed at the time of the transaction or at a different price a day or so later when it's posted. The next time I buy shares I'll do this. If that's not the case are there shares available at the price listed when the markets is closed? Of course on a separate note; provided the market is open you can alleviate this delay with an ETF for whatever reason you have to see the transaction happen quickly.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 82124
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by LadyGeek »

livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 am Vanguard is well known for lagging on updates, so if this is problem for anyone then they should avoid Vanguard and switch to a vendor that provides essentially real-time updates of what is going on with their money.
Caution on that statement, as you are implying that money is instantly moved around. The trade is just the first step of the process. The rest of the process is only done at certain times of the day. Other brokerages have similar delays. For example, my taxable account transactions at Fidelity: Re: Fidelity Total Market in taxable - FZROX (ZERO) vs. FSKAX (Total Market) SmackDown (refers to transactions at Fidelity - not Vanguard)
Ferdinand2014 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm ...Once you sell mutual fund it prices at 530 pm, liquidates at 830pm and shows up next morning as pending cash. Within 24-48 hours it will show up in your core position, but is usually available for transfer or trade at about 24 hours...
At issue here is that Vanguard is delaying the update of your account much longer than you'd expect. Issues with their website can be discussed in Vanguard Website.

Update: Clarified that Ferdinand2014 is referring to transactions at Fidelity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ferdinand2014
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 am
livesoft wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 am Vanguard is well known for lagging on updates, so if this is problem for anyone then they should avoid Vanguard and switch to a vendor that provides essentially real-time updates of what is going on with their money.
Caution on that statement, as you are implying that money is instantly moved around. The trade is just the first step of the process. The rest of the process is only done at certain times of the day. Other brokerages have similar delays. For example, my taxable account transactions at Fidelity: Re: Fidelity Total Market in taxable - FZROX (ZERO) vs. FSKAX (Total Market) SmackDown
Ferdinand2014 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm ...Once you sell mutual fund it prices at 530 pm, liquidates at 830pm and shows up next morning as pending cash. Within 24-48 hours it will show up in your core position, but is usually available for transfer or trade at about 24 hours...
At issue here is that Vanguard is delaying the update of your account much longer than you'd expect. Issues with their website can be discussed in Vanguard Website.
I was referring to Fidelity. I do not have any experience at Vanguard.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 82124
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^Sorry about that. I have clarified my post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 3593
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: Vanguard order "In Progress"

Post by GerryL »

Something I learned after stressing about whether Vanguard sold stock shares from the lots I specified: Give it a couple of days before you check.

The system seems to automatically show the shares coming out of the combined non-covered lot, even though I had Vanguard document the non-covered lots based on my records and specified the lots in my order. So when I log in immediately after I get confirmation that the order was executed, I am likely to see my cost basis list showing the shares coming from the wrong lot. I wait a couple of days before checking, and the list is correct. If not, then I call.
Post Reply