Question on Portfolio Creation

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
CaInvestor007

Question on Portfolio Creation

Post by CaInvestor007 »

I hope everyone here is staying safe.

For various reasons, I did not invest any significant money in the stock market for almost the first 48 years of my life. I traded off and on with mixed results. I realize that I am a financially conservative person who have problem risking money. I worked for an employer who had a 401-k but no matching. I was almost traumatized when I saw some very dear people lose their life's saving when I was just finishing grad school and joining the work force due to the Dotcom bust. As I was getting to start investing, again came 2008, and there went my ideas of jumping into the stock market.

I finally got enough courage to start saving towards retirement only recently. It is better late than never, so please pardon my tardiness.

Emergency funds: Most of my money is in cash

Debt: mortgage 450k left, 2.5%

Tax Filing Status: Married Filing Jointly

Tax Rate: 22% Federal, 7.5% State

State of Residence: California

Desired Asset allocation: 60% stocks / 40% bonds
Desired International allocation: 30% of stocks

Taxable
60% cash (about $250k for investing – not including emergency funds)

His 401k
20% TRRDX (T Rowe Price Retirement 2040, ER 0.60%)
Company match? Varies, considering 0 for being conservative

His Roth IRA
10% VWELX (Vanguard Wellington, ER 0.24%)

Her 403b
10% VWINX (Vanguard Wellesley, ER 0.22%)
Company match? Not Applicable

Contributions

New annual Contributions
$20000 his 401k (No employer matching contributions)
$7000 his IRA/Roth IRA
$7000 her IRA/Roth IRA
$20000 taxable (for retirement, not short term goals)

Questions:
1. Trying to figure out two to four funds (Vanguard or other NL fund) for investing the $250k in cash that I have in sitting idle.

2. Is California muni bonds funds (VCITX) a good parking vehicle for about $50k cash that I don't need right away but want to keep in an interest bearing account and willing to take some risk for a higher rate of return than CDs and also not pay any taxes on the interest?
Last edited by CaInvestor007 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Re: Question on Portfolio Creation

Post by Sandtrap »

Welcome.
Can you please take a moment to edit your original post to add the "fund name" before the "Ticker symbol", then (expense ratio IE: .03), and percent of your total assets invested (ie: 20%). (use the pencil icon to edit).
It will help you get more responses since not everyone knows the ticker symbols.
Also list, funds that are available to you in the accounts (IE: company match, 401k, etc)
It will help others give suggestions for alternate funds, etc.

Thanks!
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Welcome to the forum!
CaInvestor007 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:32 pm … 2. Is California muni bonds funds (VCITX) a good parking vehicle for about $50k cash that I don't need right away but want to keep in an interest bearing account and willing to take some risk for a higher rate of return than CDs and also not pay any taxes on the interest?
Consider U.S. Treasury I-Bonds for a portion of the $50k. You and spouse can each purchase up to $10k annually in TreasuryDirect accounts and up to $5k with a Federal income tax refund. Current purchases have an annual rate of 7.12% (rate changes every 6 months). I-Bonds are Federal tax deferred, state tax exempt and have some inflation protection. I-Bonds are liquid after 1 year.

BH wiki page on I-Bonds:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/I_savings_bonds
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

There is no shortage of fund recommendations for the $250k. You can do something as simple as 40% VTI, 20% VT, and 40% BND. There are a lot of mixes, I'll let others point you in a direction. My one recommendation I'd consider is to invest this $250k slowly over 1-2 years. My fear for you would be you put $250k into the market and we suddenly have a 20% (or more) pullback. Now, you feel wrecked and wasted and cheated.

With the financial story you've painted, and considering you have another $250k in currently idle cash - I personally would not keep the $50k in munis. I'd pay down my mortgage some. Get the 2.5% guaranteed return. I'd toss $50-$150k at the mortgage right now and dollar cost average the rest into the market over the course of a year while also contributing to a better asset allocation.
Topic Author
CaInvestor007

Post by CaInvestor007 »

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions.