How to Estimate Future RMDs

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
catchinup

How to Estimate Future RMDs

Post by catchinup »

I have an inherited IRA from which I'm taking RMDs based on my life expectancy. I'll be 61 in May.

The account has one position: FXNAX valued today at: $651,056.

How can I run a model to estimate my RMDs over the next several years? My 2022 RMD is already known since the RMDS are based on the account value at year end of the prior year.

Thanks
mhalley

Re: How to Estimate Future RMDs

Post by mhalley »

You might try this Schwab calculator
https://content.schwab.com/ira/understa ... rited-rmd/
22twain

Post by 22twain »

catchinup wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 am How can I run a model to estimate my RMDs over the next several years?
That would seem to depend on (a) the RMD withdrawal factors (percentages) which are known under current law, and on (b) bond market returns for the next several years, for which, like many things, "predictions are hard, especially about the future."

As a first (zeroth?) approximation, I would assume the account balance remains constant, with the bond market return compensating (approximately) for the withdrawals.
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

My IRA is all bonds. I do ever projection like this in real dollars and use the real interest rate from the Tips yield curve. Close enough.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

22twain wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:01 am
catchinup wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 am How can I run a model to estimate my RMDs over the next several years?
That would seem to depend on (a) the RMD withdrawal factors (percentages) which are known under current law, and on (b) bond market returns for the next several years, for which, like many things, "predictions are hard, especially about the future."

As a first (zeroth?) approximation, I would assume the account balance remains constant, with the bond market return compensating (approximately) for the withdrawals.
I can try that. However the average annual return on that fund is 2.86%. I can assume that, and estimate the end of December value before taking my RMD out, subtract the RMD and repeat. Your way is easier though.
Topic Author
catchinup

Post by catchinup »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:20 am My IRA is all bonds. I do ever projection like this in real dollars and use the real interest rate from the Tips yield curve. Close enough.
FXNAX is a total market bond fund, but I take your point.