2021 Calculated Return Tip

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
HuckFinn

2021 Calculated Return Tip

Post by HuckFinn »

My wife and I have all of our accounts through Vanguard. (Taxable, Rollovers and Roth accounts) In trying to determine our actual return for 2021 we use two methods:
1) We use Microsoft Money.
2) We also use Vanguards personal performance tab. Throughout the year Vanguards performance tab will not give you your year to date percentage - just the dollar gain or loss. However, now that the year is complete if you pull the drop down menu down and select "1 Year" it will give you your percentage return on all accounts from 1/1/2021 to 12/31/2021.
It is nearly identical to our Microsoft Money Return this year (actually probably is identical but only differentiated by a decimal rounding issue)

I do not know how helpful this information is to people who have 401k's or accounts at difference institutions but for us this is a feature we like.

* Getting one's return for the exact previous year is time sensitive. If you wait another month it will no longer give you the 1 year return from the exact dates of 1/1/2021-12/31/2021