College Savings Fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
niar

College Savings Fund

Post by niar »

Hi All

I live in Georgia and would like to open a college Savings Fund for my 8yr old.
If I contribute to Georgia Path2Collge 529 plan, I get GA state income tax deductions.
Is Georgia 529C a good plan or should I consider other states plan for better performance and return long term.

Thank you for your time
brad.clarkston

Re: College Savings Fund

Post by brad.clarkston »

It's not the worse fund out there. What you need to consider is if you like the Program Manager, the fee structure and if it allows (and which) out of state schools plus if you are going to give the kid(s) a say in schools.

The PM is: TIAA-CREF
Fee's: --> page 9 https://www.path2college529.com/documen ... iption.pdf

I did not see anything about out of state allowances on a quick look but you could easily call and find out.
The website is a bit more up to date than that pdf and calling is a good idea.

~

Path2College uses mostly TIAA-CREF/Vanguard/DFA fund which is very similar to our MOST529 (Missouri) which we are very happy with.
Looks like they use TIAA-CREF for the index, Vanguard for the bonds with a smattering of DFA depending on how aggressive you go.

Funny enough Georgia's fee structure is a bit nicer than Missouri's but we never had a problem with it.

The only thing we worried about was if he picked a non-MO school but that turned out to be moot as he decided to go instate.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Topic Author
niar

Re: College Savings Fund

Post by niar »

Thank you for your insight.
Below website (Office of State Treasurer) says
" Funds may be used at virtually any college or university in the United States, and many abroad"
https://ost.georgia.gov/divisions-offic ... ge-savings.

So that's a good thing.