View and track total asset allocation?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
DVA79

View and track total asset allocation?

Post by DVA79 »

I have Vanguard for all of my investments, including my 403b. However, VG no longer services their 403b plan and so when I am viewing my TOTAL asset allocation on the VG website, it does NOT factor in my 403b investments, which is sizable.

In fact, I can’t even view the total asset allocation of stocks to bonds on their 403b page as it just tells me the funds and % I currently have (a target date, Wellington,and Wellesley). This makes trying to see my actual asset allocation across all my investments difficult. I have a decent guess at what they are but it makes it challenging when trying to rebalance.

Is there a better way to do this? Any apps or suggestions to view and track my total asset allocation?

Much appreciated!
3funder

Re: View and track total asset allocation?

Post by 3funder »

Personal Capital
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
67Bosox

Post by 67Bosox »

At the website, under "balances and holdings" i have added some outside accounts held at other brokerages, including the work related 401k. it is easy to do. i don't "link" it to the vanguard site, but from time to time i update the assets held in the outside account.
then, using "Portfolio Watch" on the website, i create an account that is made up of all the vg accounts and the outside accounts. and "Portfolio Watch" then computes the asset allocation across all of them.
this might help if you can add your 403b to the outside accounts portion.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I'll add the obligatory comment that some (many, a lot of) people write their own spreadsheets, which can be populated with data by various means whether manual or on line.

The big advantage is that you can compute and present your data in any way most convenient and helpful to you. Also you won't struggle with an app that still leaves out or misrepresents something. If something occurs to you that you might want to see you can just go in and with some more columns and formulas get that too.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I use free Morningstar Portfolio Manager

You can use xray tool to set up your balances under ten minutes with symbols or if they are CITs use a proxy.

No spreadsheet necessary, m* portfolio manager can export to Excel files.

That is what I did for years until I retired.
Last edited by retire2022 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

See also this thread which discusses several ways to do this:
viewtopic.php?t=150267
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

dbr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:32 pm I'll add the obligatory comment that some (many, a lot of) people write their own spreadsheets, which can be populated with data by various means whether manual or on line.
^^^ This.

As long as you know how much you have in each fund, and the asset allocation (in percentages) within each fund, you can figure out the amount of dollars that fall in each asset class per fund.

Then just add that up to get the dollars in each class over your whole portfolio (and from there percentages if you want.)
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
Topic Author
DVA79

Post by DVA79 »

3funder wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:49 pm Personal Capital
Thanks all.

Just downloaded the Personal Capital app and loving it. Great tool. Able to track all investments, assets %, credit cards, and mortgage in one app.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
JonL

Post by JonL »

dbr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:32 pm I'll add the obligatory comment that some (many, a lot of) people write their own spreadsheets, which can be populated with data by various means whether manual or on line.

The big advantage is that you can compute and present your data in any way most convenient and helpful to you. Also you won't struggle with an app that still leaves out or misrepresents something. If something occurs to you that you might want to see you can just go in and with some more columns and formulas get that too.
+1. This options - while more work - gives the most flexibility. This is especially the case if you're looking to do a household level rebalance.

That is, you don't have to duplicate your target stock/bond mix in each account you own. That is, you don't need to hold the same percentage of stocks in your Roth IRA, in your 401(k), etc.

Consider a 70/30 target stock/bond mix. Instead, you can balance your entire household portfolio by holding different stock/bond mixes in each account. For example, you can hold 100% stocks in your Roth, and a 10/90 stock/bond mix in your 401(k) – so long as your total household portfolio balances to your targetted stock/bond mix.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!