HSA allocation changes due to move to CA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
seeker24

HSA allocation changes due to move to CA

Post by seeker24 »

Hello all,

My HSA in Fidelity makes up 14% of my portfolio. Currently, I am invested in
FXAIX (Fidelity 500 index fund) - 67%
VTI (Vanguard IDX Fund) - 13%
VT (Vanguard intl equity index fund) - 20%

I am currently in midwest. But will be moving to CA state by December end. One recommendation earlier by some of them is to move funds from FXAIX to VT ETF to minimize capital gains tax, once I move to CA. Then my HSA allocation in CA would look like:
VT - 87%
VTI - 13%

Any thoughts on the above proposed changes? Can I do any better? The goal is to minimize cap gain tax in CA as HSA is considered brokerage acct in CA.

I did see threads that talk about buying treasuries etc. in HSA account. I am not pursuing that because I am sitting on 110k hard cash in my savings account - which I am treating that as bond allocation.

Thank you!
dual

Post by dual »

I want to minimize the income tax reporting so I invest in the treasury money market fund fdlxx and Berkshire Hathaway brk.b. These do not generate any state taxable income until I decide to sell the Berkshire Hathaway.
nalor511

Re: HSA allocation changes due to move to CA

Post by nalor511 »

Any VG ETF (and most other ETF) will avoid cap gains, doesn't have to be VT. You will save expense ratio by holding vti+vxus. Fidelity tracks all cap gains and dividends anyway, which are taxed in CA as well, you just won't get a 1099 and have to view it in your dashboard
Topic Author
seeker24

Re:

Post by seeker24 »

dual wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:37 pm I want to minimize the income tax reporting so I invest in the treasury money market fund fdlxx and Berkshire Hathaway brk.b. These do not generate any state taxable income until I decide to sell the Berkshire Hathaway.
Yes, I considered that earlier but I felt ER of 0.42 is relatively high at that point. Wouldn't you think so?
dual

Post by dual »

Fdelity eats the expenses of fdlxx since they can't break the buck. so basically it's a parking place.
When t-bills get above zero interest I will then invest in a ladder with autoroll.
Last edited by dual on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gobel

Post by gobel »

seeker24 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm One recommendation earlier by some of them is to move funds from FXAIX to VT ETF to minimize capital gains tax, once I move to CA.
You'd want to make any changes *before* becoming a resident of CA - if you have gains.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

gobel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:20 am
seeker24 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm One recommendation earlier by some of them is to move funds from FXAIX to VT ETF to minimize capital gains tax, once I move to CA.
You'd want to make any changes *before* becoming a resident of CA - if you have gains.
Agreed... but wouldn't it be that the changes need to be made in the year prior to becoming a resident? If OP sells now(Nov), becomes a CA resident on Dec.31... then I think CA rules win?
Topic Author
seeker24

Post by seeker24 »

This is a good point. So if I put my deposit for an apartment to rent in CA in December next month, will I be classified as a resident from December?

I plan to actually move in Jan first week for that exact reason, although I can't time it that precisely. By definition, one becomes a resident when one moves in or in the month they sign the lease?

I know it sounds obvious...
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

zincTwo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 pm
Agreed... but wouldn't it be that the changes need to be made in the year prior to becoming a resident? If OP sells now(Nov), becomes a CA resident on Dec.31... then I think CA rules win?
If you sell and move to CA later in the same year, the tax cost is minimal.

The way CA taxes part-year residents is that you compute your total income and determine what the tax would be on that income, then multiply by the fraction of income earned while a CA resident (or from a CA source while a non-resident). For example, if you have $45K in income before you move to CA and $45K after, your CA tax is half the tax on $90K. If you take an extra $10K capital gain while a CA nonresident, you now have $100K in total income, so your CA tax is 45% of the tax on $100K, which is slightly more because tax rates are progressive. But if you take that $10K capital gain while a CA resident, your CA tax is 55% of the tax on $100K, which is much more.

Also, CA allows you to carry over capital losses from before you were a resident. If you sell for a capital gain before becoming a resident, even in an earlier year, this will use up some of your loss carryover.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
seeker24

Post by seeker24 »

grabiner wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:39 pm

The way CA taxes part-year residents is that you compute your total income and determine what the tax would be on that income, then multiply by the fraction of income earned while a CA resident (or from a CA source while a non-resident). For example, if you have $45K in income before you move to CA and $45K after, your CA tax is half the tax on $90K. If you take an extra $10K capital gain while a CA nonresident, you now have $100K in total income, so your CA tax is 45% of the tax on $100K, which is slightly more because tax rates are progressive. But if you take that $10K capital gain while a CA resident, your CA tax is 55% of the tax on $100K, which is much more.

Also, CA allows you to carry over capital losses from before you were a resident. If you sell for a capital gain before becoming a resident, even in an earlier year, this will use up some of your loss carryover.
Thanks for the example. I am currently renting out of CA. I plan to rent when I am in CA. The rent prices are surging more right now than ever. It's just crazy.

I am aiming to 'move-in' in January to keep taxes less complicated. But I am facing an issue where the landlords want me to move in by Dec 25. And I don't want to do that for tax reasons.

Where I am unclear is - when am I considered CA resident? the day I sign the lease to move-in on future date, or the move-in date? Thanks.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

seeker24 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:10 pm I am aiming to 'move-in' in January to keep taxes less complicated. But I am facing an issue where the landlords want me to move in by Dec 25. And I don't want to do that for tax reasons.

Where I am unclear is - when am I considered CA resident? the day I sign the lease to move-in on future date, or the move-in date? Thanks.
Your domicile changes when you have both physically moved to the new state and established your intention to live there permanently. Thus the earliest possible date is the date your lease starts, but if you are still staying out of state, or traveling between your old and new states, you haven't changed domicile yet.

If you do move to CA the last week of December, you will have to file a CA tax form, but you aren't likely to have much income taxable to CA (maybe some end-of-year dividends and interest, and possibly your last paycheck of the year depending on pay schedules).
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
seeker24

Post by seeker24 »

grabiner wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:02 pm
Your domicile changes when you have both physically moved to the new state and established your intention to live there permanently. Thus the earliest possible date is the date your lease starts, but if you are still staying out of state, or traveling between your old and new states, you haven't changed domicile yet.

If you do move to CA the last week of December, you will have to file a CA tax form, but you aren't likely to have much income taxable to CA (maybe some end-of-year dividends and interest, and possibly your last paycheck of the year depending on pay schedules).
Thanks again. Based on that, I will set the lease start date in January.

Regarding HSA allocation, looks like I need to sell FXAIX in HSA and buy VXUS instead of VT ETF.

Thank you.
Sprucebark

Post by Sprucebark »

And remember you have 10 days to change your driver license. They’ll be looking out for you to change your registration too.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/Notify-CHP/CHP-R ... Violators)
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

zincTwo wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 pm

Note that this means you will face some capital gains tax on any HSA moves you make before going to CA.
danaht

Post by danaht »

Yes, if I ever move back to CA I will make sure I sell all my ETFs in my HSA the year before I move to CA. Then - reinvest those into different but similar ETFs so that the cost basis starts over at a higher level. That's the most important thing you can do. Hopefully CA starts to recognize HSAs like the federal government before I decide to move back.
sandan

Post by sandan »

danaht wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:42 pm Yes, if I ever move back to CA I will make sure I sell all my ETFs in my HSA the year before I move to CA. Then - reinvest those into different but similar ETFs so that the cost basis starts over at a higher level. That's the most important thing you can do. Hopefully CA starts to recognize HSAs like the federal government before I decide to move back.
I am thankful for this thread.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

seeker24 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:10 pm

Thanks for the example. I am currently renting out of CA. I plan to rent when I am in CA. The rent prices are surging more right now than ever. It's just crazy.

I am aiming to 'move-in' in January to keep taxes less complicated. But I am facing an issue where the landlords want me to move in by Dec 25. And I don't want to do that for tax reasons.

The tax cost for me would be the time and effort it would take to calculate the tax more so than the actual tax cost.

If you weren't already at Fidelity HSA, it would be a good opportunity to convert to cash to reset the account with the state move so as not let past equity positions and history confuse things. I've had issues with keeping track of wash sales, that it's sometimes simpler to cash out for 30 days, to wash out the wash sale rule time period. Is there another HSA account custodian that would be worth doing?

Funny your landlord wants an earlier move in date. Other than a few more days rent, does that tax year difference help the landlord somehow? Does it still make a difference if you have a baby on Dec 31 11:59pm vs Jan 1 00:01am? My understanding was if you had twins, only one of them would get the tax breaks. If it impacts the landlord, would you be able to claim a later date based on the physical move (say based on the airline ticket), rather than the rental contract? If you paid a line item "hold" fee instead of rent, the landlord can get his cash, and you can get your 2022 contract.

INAL, but it might come down to the definition of "rent", which involves occupying or using, versus just reserving and whether the day the contract is begins when it's signed, the days of the lease, the minute the keys are handed over, or some other event. IMO, keys.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-ed ... alifornia/
I would hope that even if you were to begin residency Dec. 25, 2021, that you'd be covered under some exclusion, "safe harbor" or "de minimis" protection from CA tax authorities, but consult a tax accountant if it comes to that to be sure.
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020- ... cation.pdf
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:17 am I would hope that even if you were to begin residency Dec. 25, 2021, that you'd be covered under some exclusion, "safe harbor" or "de minimis" protection from CA tax authorities, but consult a tax accountant if it comes to that to be sure.
CA doesn't have a "de minimis" provision. If you earn one dollar taxable by CA, and your total income is over the CA requirement, you must file a CA tax return, and if you earn about $6 taxable by CA, you will owe a dollar in tax after rounding.

And from the same publication, there is an indication that your domicile does not change just because your lease starts; it changes on the day that you arrive in CA.
You can have only one domicile at a time. Once you acquire a domicile, you retain that domicile until you
acquire another.

A change of domicile requires all of the following:
• Abandonment of your prior domicile.
• Physically moving to and residing in the new locality.
• Intent to remain in the new locality permanently or indefinitely as demonstrated by your actions.
Thus, for tax purposes, the earliest day you can change domicile is the day you have physically moved. Buying or renting a home allows you to make that home your residence, but does not make it your residence until you reside in it.
Wiki David Grabiner
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

grabiner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 pm
inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:17 am I would hope that even if you were to begin residency Dec. 25, 2021, that you'd be covered under some exclusion, "safe harbor" or "de minimis" protection from CA tax authorities, but consult a tax accountant if it comes to that to be sure.
CA doesn't have a "de minimis" provision. If you earn one dollar taxable by CA, and your total income is over the CA requirement, you must file a CA tax return, and if you earn about $6 taxable by CA, you will owe a dollar in tax after rounding.

And from the same publication, there is an indication that your domicile does not change just because your lease starts; it changes on the day that you arrive in CA.
You can have only one domicile at a time. Once you acquire a domicile, you retain that domicile until you
acquire another.

• Intent to remain in the new locality permanently or indefinitely as demonstrated by your actions.
Thus, for tax purposes, the earliest day you can change domicile is the day you have physically moved. Buying or renting a home allows you to make that home your residence, but does not make it your residence until you reside in it.
Thanks for finding that. I didn't wasn't able to wade thru the pdf, and thought the domicile stuff was mainly for those CA escapees. Don't know if the rules are symmetric entering and exiting, but it wouldn't surprise me if the rules are written to benefit the state both ways. OP, welcome to CA and thanks for making up for a few of the tax dollars Elon is taking with him (that will be fun to watch).

I've got to go back and look at some 1099-DIV or 1099-INT forms I've received that literally have "de minimis" printed on them, and see if the amounts are over $1. I don't know where I'm getting $10 as some minimum amount where reports aren't even sent, kind of like the $600 number for independent contractors and other earned income on 1099-MISC (payer reporting vs self-reporting). [I hope they don't come after me if it's $1.25 interest I didn't self-report from that interest checking account. JK.]
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

inbox788 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:26 pm
grabiner wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:58 pm
FTB Publication 1031 wrote:You can have only one domicile at a time. Once you acquire a domicile, you retain that domicile until you
acquire another.

Thanks for finding that. I didn't wasn't able to wade thru the pdf, and thought the domicile stuff was mainly for those CA escapees. Don't know if the rules are symmetric entering and exiting, but it wouldn't surprise me if the rules are written to benefit the state both ways.
Legal definitions are normally symmetrical, but how they are tied to the tax laws may not be. You may be a legal resident of a state even if you are not domiciled there; if so, you pay resident tax to that state and the state of your domicile.

The other issue is the interpretation of the laws. If you move from State X to State Y, even if they have the same definition of residency and domicile, State Y will start taxing you as soon as you claim residency, but you will have to convince the State X tax authority that you gave up your residency to avoid being taxed by State X.
Wiki David Grabiner