Quicken/Schwab connection issues?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
topper1296

Quicken/Schwab connection issues?

Post by topper1296 »

Any other Quicken users on here having issues with Schwab? I've spent hours trying to fix this mess and it still isn't working and the instructions on the Quicken page are worthless. I have 3 accounts with Schwab and Quicken has now doubled some of the accounts and sometimes it won't recognize at least one account. No online balances are being shown. What a mess.
stan1

Re: Quicken/Schwab connection issues?

Post by stan1 »

topper1296 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm Any other Quicken users on here having issues with Schwab? I've spent hours trying to fix this mess and it still isn't working and the instructions on the Quicken page are worthless. I have 3 accounts with Schwab and Quicken has now doubled some of the accounts and sometimes it won't recognize at least one account. No online balances are being shown. What a mess.
Seems to be a common issue:
https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... wab-edited

Edited to add what may be a more useful link:
https://www.quicken.com/support/how-man ... b-accounts
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Same here...On Saturday, I spent 30 minutes in chat with Quicken tech support. They walked me through an elaborate set of steps which did not work. Schwab checking account is fine. It is the brokerage accounts that will not connect.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

You are not alone. This affects all Schwab/Quicken customers. For most the transition is not going well. It all stems from a decision that Schwab made (according to Quicken folks at least) to shift the connection method from "Direct Connect" to "Express Web Connect +". So for Quicken users, this involves deactivating their Schwab connections within Quicken and then reactivating. Simple in theory.

As you have experienced, this process has gone badly. I've got mine mostly working (through a combination of using Quicken instructions, doing some of my own work-arounds, and running a file validation). But realistically I have no real confidence yet, and it will take some time to be sure. This conversion had been slated for the end of last month, then pushed back, and then supposedly completed Nov 18 or 19.

Personally, after all the information and misinformation that I've seen (see the Quicken Community links above), I would seriously consider a just sitting on this for a few more days. In fact, consider reverting to a pre-conversion backup to remedy what you've already experienced if possible. Quicken is saying that their latest patch R37.25 fixes the issues. I personally do not believe that. That patch is in phased rollout, but you can follow the link in those discussions and get it as a "mondo patch" if you feel so inclined. Otherwise I think that we will all get the update through normal channels this week (unless something changes).

One of MANY problems was that re-establishing Schwab connections resulted in 1.5 years of transactions being downloaded. For those that had their downloads set to automatic entry, registers got seriously fouled up. For those that didn't, they had to manually delete a LOT of transactions manually from their download screen. And there are myriad other issues, which I won't belabor (see those community discussions for a better idea).

I've been pretty much praising Quicken for the last few years in their improvements, responsiveness and clarity in fixing inevitable issues. This transition has negated that for me. Of course, Schwab is also involved. But I can conjecture where the blame lies based on the number of false statements I've read this week from Quicken employees. Cue the "I gave up Quicken years ago and never looked back comments", but Quicken has given me needed resources far in excess of my time spent over the years. This week, not so much. It will get worked out I believe.

Best of luck. Again, I do believe this will work itself out shortly. There are a lot of customers involved.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

I think I have navigated the reconnecting but did have to delete some duplicate transactions. I noticed that many of them had an identical amount but a different action (e.g. Add vs. Re-invest.

Fingers crossed.

WoodSpinner
PSM

Post by PSM »

I have been experiencing the connection issues for the past several days. I have followed all the recommended procedures.
I have gotten rid of the zz account listings, and seemingly have authorized the new downloads. I have deactivated and activated several times, with duplicate, random transaction downloads that need to be deleted.

This is a major mess...and I do not want to call and go through a process with a tech person putting me on hold and trying a bunch of stuff. Just wish there was an update to the software that will make the problems go away for everyone.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I don't use Schwab but did have a forced upgrade to R36.41 this morning. Quicken's version website says R36.38 was specific to Schwab customers. Hopefully 41 picks up where 38 left off for impacted customers.
Release R36.38 (US Versions, Oct 2021)
Before you install this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud. You should also make a backup of your data file.​

Improvements

We’re updating the infrastructure used to connect Quicken to financial institutions, making it more secure and reliable. This is part of a long-term rollout that started in the last release. We have updated the connection infrastructure to Charles Schwab. Customers with Charles Schwab should update now to continue downloading transactions. You will need this version to take advantage of this new connection. The old Charles Schwab connection will be discontinued, so you should upgrade immediately.
https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ease-notes
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

It was a bit time-consuming - and either Quicken or Schwab clearly mismanaged the transition - but I seem to be operating normally again with my Schwab accounts.

Reinstalling the program seems to have been key to my success. I went to Quicken.com and downloaded and ran the executable. It uninstalled my old version and installed a new one pretty quickly, without disrupting my data file.

I actually feel fortunate; a lot of people still seem to be dealing with the mess on the Quicken support forum.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

topper1296 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm Any other Quicken users on here having issues with Schwab? I've spent hours trying to fix this mess and it still isn't working and the instructions on the Quicken page are worthless. I have 3 accounts with Schwab and Quicken has now doubled some of the accounts and sometimes it won't recognize at least one account. No online balances are being shown. What a mess.
It now works! I also had problems over the weekend and this morning. This evening
> I deactivated my Schwab accounts (brokerage and checking) in Quicken
> Ran One Step Update
> When one step update completed and the Update Summary windows appeared THIS TIME an entry for Charles Schwab appeared in the Summary windows along with a REAUTHORIZE button

Clicking REAUTHORIZE which presented Schwab's login window. After Schwab login, Schwab presented Terms and Conditions to allow downloads to 3rd party sites (like Quicken). After I gave Schwab authorization Quicken update works for Schwab again.

Looks like giving Schwab authorization to do 3rd party downloads fixed the problem. Also, in Quicken, click Help->About. You should be running version R36.41
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

That’s awesome. Thanks for the update.

Definitely frustrating when things don’t work. I have not found any other software product for a family that is equivalent to Quicken. It’s not practical to switch software products without a suitable replacement.

Turbotax has an issue entering the license code on some machines. They are probably using a bunch of 3rd party code libraries and they are too lazy to pay for or find solutions.
Last edited by Wiggums on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Investors need to be better informed about the costs they pay. “High fund fees can be hazardous to your wealth in the same way that high calories can be hazardous for your health.”
Topic Author
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

LookinAround wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:17 pm
It now works! I also had problems over the weekend and this morning. This evening
> I deactivated my Schwab accounts (brokerage and checking) in Quicken
> Ran One Step Update
> When one step update completed and the Update Summary windows appeared THIS TIME an entry for Charles Schwab appeared in the Summary windows along with a REAUTHORIZE button

Clicking REAUTHORIZE which presented Schwab's login window. After Schwab login, Schwab presented Terms and Conditions to allow downloads to 3rd party sites (like Quicken). After I gave Schwab authorization Quicken update works for Schwab again.

Looks like giving Schwab authorization to do 3rd party downloads fixed the problem. Also, in Quicken, click Help->About. You should be running version R36.41
Thanks. I'll give it a try later this evening or tomorrow.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

I am stuck in a loop where every time I open Quicken it is asking me to login to Schwab, it accepts the login, and then tells me the accounts are not linked...They have an alert that mentions an update will be forthcoming but does not have an ETA.
Topic Author
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I just saw a notification dated 11/23 from Quicken that they found the issue and a patch (R36.45) to fix the issue is supposed to go out in a few days.

Hope this works.
SkyWasYellow

Post by SkyWasYellow »

The patch is available now; https://www.quicken.com/support/charles ... ad-changes

My connection issues appear to be sorted. After updating and reauthorizing, connectivity works for me. It did not download some transactions from last week. I have entered them manually. What gives me hope is the online center now shows a last downloaded date of today. That was blank when I was able to connect over the weekend.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Quicken version R36.45 available for download today includes another fix for Schwab
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Unfortunately, the new patch did not work for me. I am caught in an endless re-authorization loop. I re-authorize, it downloads the transactions, then tells me there is a CC-501 problem. I have two Schwab logins and wonder if that is the problem. I submitted a report to Quicken. Day number five of the problem.