What are the Vanguard ETF fees on Fidelity?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
anaparafunds

Post by anaparafunds »

Was interested in VOO and VTI but it doesn't seem to be listed as commission free in this Fidelity page:

https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/different-types-of-etfs

Only Fidelity and iShares ETFs are commission free? :(
LiveSimple

Re: What are the Vanguard ETF fees on Fidelity?

Post by LiveSimple »

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/commis ... rgin-rates
How do we stand apart from the rest?
$0 commissions for online US stock, ETF, and option trades.
Margin rates among the most competitive in the industry—as low as 4.00%*
No minimums to open an account
Get started
It's easy. Opening your new account takes just minutes.
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

None. They are just advertising some favorites.

There are no fees for trading any ETFs at Fidelity. See below:
$0 per trade for all ETFs
https://www.fidelity.com/why-fidelity/pricing-fees

Should add other major brokers have also dropped trading costs to $0. So I don't see Fidelity changing this any time soon due to market forces.
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
tomsense76

Post by tomsense76 »

Also note that the zero fee Fidelity mutual funds cannot be moved out of Fidelity. So only buy these in tax-advantaged accounts (like IRAs). Otherwise it will be hard to reverse that choice if you decide to leave later. Mentioning this as someone else today was struggling with taxes after they bought these funds in taxable
"Anyone who claims to understand quantum theory is either lying or crazy" -- Richard Feynman
Topic Author
anaparafunds

Post by anaparafunds »

Are there really no other hidden costs or "Aha!"s if I buy Vanguard ETFs in Fidelity? Like slightly more expensive expense ratio or other carrying fees? :(
Topic Author
anaparafunds

Post by anaparafunds »

tomsense76 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 am Also note that the zero fee Fidelity mutual funds cannot be moved out of Fidelity. So only buy these in tax-advantaged accounts (like IRAs). Otherwise it will be hard to reverse that choice if you decide to leave later. Mentioning this as someone else today was struggling with taxes after they bought these funds in taxable
Yup. Not touching those Fidelity Zeroes. Thank you.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

anaparafunds wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:39 am Are there really no other hidden costs or "Aha!"s if I buy Vanguard ETFs in Fidelity? Like slightly more expensive expense ratio or other carrying fees? :(
Nope. That's why a lot of people here are moving away from Vanguard now (since with this low interest rate environment, Vanguard offers no investment product that Fidelity doesn't offer better [and with better service]).

You can buy Vanguard ETFs in partial shares at Fidelity (so you can buy like $1.23 worth of VTI unlike in Vanguard in which you need $225.02 a share).
In that aspect, ETFs at Fidelity are pretty much mutual funds now.
Of course, Fidelity does have its own mutual funds (that are transferrable) like FSKAX but at this point of age, I feel ETFs are more foolproof because they are very easy to transfer around.
You might have a few pennies remaining but you can just put those in mutual funds like FSKAX (Fidelity does not have minimums in most of its standard funds unlike Vanguard).

That said, stocks and ETFs are now all 0 fees in any major US brokerage. You can thank Robinhood for that movement.
You can also thank Robinhood for forcing other brokerages to start accepting partial share trades.
I honestly cannot see what benefit Vanguard brings over the other major brokerages now that the other brokerages have direct access to all ETFs.
e.g.: Total Market ETF = ITOT or VTI or SPTM or SCHB
Fidelity (and Schwab) have much better overall services relative to Vanguard's.
Just keep in mind Schwab does not do partial shares on ETFs currently unlike Fidelity.
Topic Author
anaparafunds

Post by anaparafunds »

fwellimort wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 am
anaparafunds wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:39 am Are there really no other hidden costs or "Aha!"s if I buy Vanguard ETFs in Fidelity? Like slightly more expensive expense ratio or other carrying fees? :(
Nope. That's why a lot of people here are moving away from Vanguard now (since with this low interest rate environment, Vanguard offers no investment product that Fidelity doesn't offer better [and with better service]).

You can buy Vanguard ETFs in partial shares at Fidelity (so you can buy like $1.23 worth of VTI unlike in Vanguard in which you need $225.02 a share).
In that aspect, ETFs at Fidelity are pretty much mutual funds now.
Of course, Fidelity does have its own mutual funds (that are transferrable) like FSKAX but at this point of age, I feel ETFs are more foolproof because they are very easy to transfer around.
You might have a few pennies remaining but you can just put those in mutual funds like FSKAX (Fidelity does not have minimums in most of its standard funds unlike Vanguard).

That said, stocks and ETFs are now all 0 fees in any major US brokerage. You can thank Robinhood for that movement.
You can also thank Robinhood for forcing other brokerages to start accepting partial share trades.
I honestly cannot see what benefit Vanguard brings over the other major brokerages now that the other brokerages have direct access to all ETFs.
e.g.: Total Market ETF = ITOT or VTI or SPTM or SCHB
Fidelity (and Schwab) have much better overall services relative to Vanguard's.
Just keep in mind Schwab does not do partial shares on ETFs currently unlike Fidelity.
I thought Vanguard is rated higher?

Why would I want to put a few pennies on FSKAX? Is FSKAX good for a taxable account?

Does carrying FSKAX on other brokerages carry worse fees?

I'm definitely interested in partial shares on ETFs so I'm leaning on fidelity right now.

Thank you so much.
afan

Post by afan »

The most recent JD Power survey had Vanguard as the top rated for customer satisfaction.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
student

Post by student »

afan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:20 am The most recent JD Power survey had Vanguard as the top rated for customer satisfaction.
JD Power also has Edward Jones ranked highest in investor satisfaction among full-service firms in 2021, and I doubt bogleheads have high opinions on EJ. Please note that this is not a statement against Vanguard as I think the service quality at Vanguard is fine in most aspects. This is a just a statement that one has to use the result of such surveys carefully. Customers at EJ and Vanguard are happy but is this what one is looking for. Personally I prefer Fidelity over Vanguard mainly due to Fidelity having 24/7 customer service and that it has a local office, which are important to me.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

student wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:55 am
afan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:20 am The most recent JD Power survey had Vanguard as the top rated for customer satisfaction.
JD Power also has Edward Jones ranked highest in investor satisfaction among full-service firms in 2021, and I doubt bogleheads have high opinions on EJ. Please note that this is not a statement against Vanguard as I think the service quality at Vanguard is fine in most aspects. This is a just a statement that one has to use the result of such surveys carefully.
Low expectations can also affect such survey results. If the expectations of customers at Vanguard are lower than at other brokerages, such as Fidelity and Schwab, those lower expectations likely translate into a higher satisfaction score.

https://i.ibb.co/xzd0gmy/68c34111d73e09 ... 31ea07.jpg

To the OP: Every major brokerage allows you to buy, sell and hold ETFs with no additional fees. No catches or "gotchas", at least at Fidelity and Schwab. I prefer Schwab but Fidelity is well-respected among Bogleheads as well. You can't go wrong with either if you stick with low-cost index funds and avoid any proprietary products, such as the Fidelity Zero funds.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

anaparafunds wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:10 am Why would I want to put a few pennies on FSKAX? Is FSKAX good for a taxable account?

Does carrying FSKAX on other brokerages carry worse fees?
I believe the suggestion was that if you had a small balance leftover, even after buying partial shares with ETFs, you could put it in FSKAX. Some people absolutely hate to see a brokerage account with $500k in 3 ETFs and $0.27 in cash that can't buy anything. I'd rather the pennies than seeing another fund with such an irrelevant balance but whatever.

FSKAX being a mutual fund would have commissions at some brokerages if you transferred, but many do offer free Fidelity funds. It's certainly more portable than the Zero funds.
Wedemeyer

Post by Wedemeyer »

I use Fidelity for everything except my company 401k, and have all vanguard etfs. No fees except for the er on the etf.