What to do with proceeds from sale of 2nd property?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
WorkingToFI

What to do with proceeds from sale of 2nd property?

Post by WorkingToFI »

Hi,

I recently sold our cabin that we had for a little over 7 years.

Bought it for $140k in March 2014, and sold it for $320k in July 2021. After realtor/title fees I ended up with $295k.

It was not a rental property so I don't think I can 1031 the proceeds.

I only put about $20k into the property building a retaining wall, and some small interior upgrades (water filter, hand rail, electrical work, etc)

So, I'm assuming I'll owe IRS on a capital gain of $135k next April.

This is my first time selling anything of this magnitude!

Two Questions:

I want to hold money for expected taxes. Looking for a safe money market or something similar through Fidelity that might pay 0.5%. Any suggestions?

We're in 24% Income Tax Bracket, Does $40k seem like a reasonable amount of money to hold for taxes on that gain?

(I'd like to claim a smaller gain, but from what I've read I don't think I can deduct the property taxes, HOA fees, or other expenses I had on the vacation property. Probably should have tried to rent it out more than I used it the last couple years so I could do a 1031, but I want to simplify my life, so thinking I'll just have to suck it up and pay the capital gains...)
Duckie

Re: What to do with proceeds from sale of 2nd property?

Post by Duckie »

WorkingToFI wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 pm We're in 24% Income Tax Bracket, Does $40k seem like a reasonable amount of money to hold for taxes on that gain?
The 24% federal tax bracket means your long-term capital gains tax is 15%. 15% of $135,000 is $20,250. Plus you may have state capital gains taxes. Setting aside $40,000 seems high, but it depends on your state rate. I know in California it's 9.3% plus NIT.