Does Transfer of ETFs from Fidelity to Vanguard close account?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Tex

Does Transfer of ETFs from Fidelity to Vanguard close account?

Post by Tex »

If I contact Vanguard to initiate a transfer of ETFs held at Fidelity (taxable brokerage) to Vanguard (taxable brokerage) will the Fidelity account remain open?

I ask because I have to maintain a Fidelity brokerage account to receive my annual Stock grants. I had been selling my grants for ETFs and now I want to consolidate those ETFs with my Vanguard account because it would be easier to manage. Gotta keep the Fidelity brokerage open though for future grants.
livesoft

Re: Does Transfer of ETFs from Fidelity to Vanguard close account?

Post by livesoft »

Easy to ask Fidelity about this. Maybe you have 1 cent in your settlement account?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

I am not sure how long they will leave it open but it is somewhere close to a year. My adult kids have empty brokerage accounts that they set up only to receive shares from us that they sold immediately. Those have been open close to a year with zero balances. My husband and I have Traditional IRAs that sit empty except for one day a year when we fund them for back door Roths.

I am sure you are not the only employee of your company who keeps their account open for this sole purpose.
“I didn’t want my sailboat to be in the driveway when I died.” Nomadland
Topic Author
Tex

Post by Tex »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that you can transfer partial assets between accounts. I can leave a $1 in and move the rest.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Complete account transfer will result in a closure. They will reopen however -- I've done it
Partial transfer will not result in closure -- leave some shares/cash in that case.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I never do complete transfers because some brokerages will immediately close the account and then you have no access to account documents.
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

When I did a partial transfer from Fidelity, they required that the remaining account value had to be over $500. It was a pull from the other broker.

I learned this after the partial transfer failed
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
Topic Author
Tex

Post by Tex »

Following up on my initial post. I transferred two ETFs (large balances) from Fidelity to Vanguard and the transfer was complete in under a week. Still pending the cost information to refresh, but that should occur in 1-2 weeks. I kept $500 in my money market fund that was excluded from my partial transfer order. The process was initiated from Vanguard.

The account remained open and everything occurred as anticipated. I don't think the $500 was necessary because Fidelity will not transfer the fractional ETF shares in your account (so those slivers remained in my Fidelity account and I will have to sell those shares to migrate the money).

The crazy thing to me is that Fidelity doesn't require a Medallion to transfer and they did not notify me of the transfer (despite having all notifications enabled for SMS/email). The money just vanished with no red alert from Fidelity which is a bit concerning. A couple years ago, I transferred my wife's IRA from Vanguard to her new 401k and it required a Medallion and a lot of notices from Vanguard giving me the heads up (email and paper mail). Maybe I'll receive a paper notice soon, but realistically it would be too late if someone had stolen your funds.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have transferred partial assets out of my fidelity account many times. In my experience they will reject the partial transfer and tell you it must be a full transfer if you only leave a small amount behind. Leaving 5k behind has consistently worked. They did reject a transfer that would have left about $1,900 once.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I have transferred funds between all the major custodians and many minor ones and never had to do a signature guarantee (that would be onerous) plus notification generally depends on your alert settings.