Tracking AA/rebalancing

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
phobophobe

Tracking AA/rebalancing

Post by phobophobe »

Can anyone recommend a good spreadsheet or app for tracking asset allocation across accounts for purposes of rebalancing?

I could try to create one myself but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if a good one already exists.

Thanks!
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Tracking AA/rebalancing

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events.
Topic Author
phobophobe

Post by phobophobe »

Perfectly.

Thank you for your patience with me. I'm new to this. :oops:

Topic closed!
iceport

Post by iceport »

I hope you've found what you're looking for, but I'll just share an image of the spreadsheet I put together for a friend a while ago, modeled after my own. Admittedly, the organization works well for an index-fund-based portfolio, and it can be overly cumbersome to force an actively managed portfolio into it, depending on how granular you get with your asset allocation. But just in case you see some element of value, I'll post it.

It's also best to keep the overlaps between accounts to a minimum, but some overlap is unavoidable, especially with sub-optimum options in a workplace plan.

The shares must be entered by hand, as well as the share prices. (External share price look-up functions I used in the past have gone away, and I can't seem to find replacements.)

The "deviation" column is where the re-balancing bands reside. If a re-balancing band is exceeded, instead of "OK", the percentage deviation is reported. The "Req'd Re-balance" column shows how far away each position is from its target in dollars, regardless of whether a re-balancing band limit has been reached. (In reality, it's a bit more complicated to re-balance with a taxable account, because I don't recommend selling taxable shares with gains for the sole purpose of re-balancing.)

"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
mosilaby

Post by mosilaby »

Here's a google sheet I created specifically for this purpose: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=340668
Topic Author
phobophobe

Post by phobophobe »

iceport wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:33 pm I hope you've found what you're looking for, but I'll just share an image of the spreadsheet I put together for a friend a while ago, modeled after my own. Admittedly, the organization works well for an index-fund-based portfolio, and it can be overly cumbersome to force an actively managed portfolio into it, depending on how granular you get with your asset allocation. But just in case you see some element of value, I'll post it.

It's also best to keep the overlaps between accounts to a minimum, but some overlap is unavoidable, especially with sub-optimum options in a workplace plan.

The shares must be entered by hand, as well as the share prices. (External share price look-up functions I used in the past have gone away, and I can't seem to find replacements.)

The "deviation" column is where the re-balancing bands reside. If a re-balancing band is exceeded, instead of "OK", the percentage deviation is reported. The "Req'd Re-balance" column shows how far away each position is from its target in dollars, regardless of whether a re-balancing band limit has been reached. (In reality, it's a bit more complicated to re-balance with a taxable account, because I don't recommend selling taxable shares with gains for the sole purpose of re-balancing.)

Nice. I like the flow. Thank you for sharing.
Topic Author
phobophobe

Post by phobophobe »

mosilaby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 pm Here's a google sheet I created specifically for this purpose: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=340668
I may have to borrow some of this. If I am interpreting it correctly, though, as created it assumes an equal balance of your asset classes in each account.
mosilaby

Post by mosilaby »

phobophobe wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:43 am
mosilaby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:37 pm Here's a google sheet I created specifically for this purpose: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=340668
I may have to borrow some of this. If I am interpreting it correctly, though, as created it assumes an equal balance of your asset classes in each account.
Correct. I created a new sheet (tab on that existing Google Sheet) called "Different AA per Account" with an AA per account. I think all the formulas should be correct. I didn't take the time to create a weighted "Total Allocation" across the accounts.

Here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =553621874