Trying to get retirement & other goals figured out

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Big Heart

Trying to get retirement & other goals figured out

Post by Big Heart »

Greetings Bogleheads. I am in my 40s and only last year did I even start budgeting. One thing led to another and now I have big dreams. I would love to hear your thoughts and observations about how I might achieve them.

I am a single parent (head of household) & I gross about 120k/year.

My tax rate is 24% federal, 4% state.

My retirement savings all together are about 530K.

* revised after feedback:

EF: About 10k, and I contribute $350/mo to it as well as extra money from any gigs.

Debt: my mortgage, $82,000 at 3.15% interest, which should be paid off in 10 years, at which point I'll be happy to stay put.

Taxable: None

1. 2 different 401ks with 2 different employers & tiny balances $500. One of them in Vanguard Inst'l Index. Don't know the other one, probably a target fund.

2. 401a (pretax) 68% Vanguard total stock market index fund Institutional. VSMPX

3. 403b (pretax) -- 15% in Vanguard total bond market VBMPX
15% VSMPX

4. 403b SRA (pretax) 0.6 % in VSMPX

5. Roth SRA -- just opened but due to 2-month lag w/ employer, my first contribution hasn't gone thru yet -- $100/mo in VSMPX. I opened this thinking to use it as a 529 alternative since I will be 59.5 when he is 20. (also I will still be working then.)

6. 457b after tax .3% in VSMPX -- I opened this as a vacation/celebration fund :)

7. Vanguard IRA , 1.2% VSMPX

8. Vanguard Roth, .5% VSMPX

New annual Contributions:

1. No new contributions
2. About 18k (this is where employer contributions go)
3. About 9k (this is where my employee contribution goes)
4. About 9k (as of this year)
5. $1200 (in my mind this is part of college savings)
6. $240 (this is a designated vacation/family reunion/party fund for when I retire. Inspired by my success with envelope-based budgeting system and trying to extend that into retirement using accounts instead of YNAB)
7. None, this was for a rollover
8. $1000.

I also have about $1500 saved for my preschooler in a 529 account and am contributing $100/mo there, 100% in their equities index fund.

Questions:

1. I would like to have the wherewithal to retire at age 65. I spend about $6k/month. If I take out mortgage and childcare, I spend about $3700/mo. Am I on track for retirement enough to start saving for his college too? I would love to save $250/month for him and my nieces. Or does retirement need more work. Or, perhaps cashflow college as someone downthread says -- it's true that once I have no mortgage, and no childcare expenses, together those end up as a nice chunk of monthly change.

2. Asset allocation. When I read Jack Bogle & pulled everything out of the target funds, I decided to reserve about $86k in bonds to pay off my house and put the rest in stock market index funds. All new contributions go to the VSMPX. I am of a mind to just leave it all there and check in again on the whole thing in 5 years . . in other words, not to rebalance. Would this be a mistake?

I feel very risk tolerant due to the fact that so much of my spending is discretionary or, in the case of childcare, will soon be expiring, and due to the security of my employment and the fact that my job has a lot of 'give' in it (& I will probably want to work past 65 anyhow due to my ambitions of what I hope to achieve.) However, I have never been "through a market downturn" in the sense that in 2008 I was protected by my complete ignorance of how retirement even works. So I don't know my "true" risk tolerance.

3. I'd love to travel with my son for a long period of time while he is young. My vision is, in the next 5 years or so, to take a 6-month sabbatical and go explore the world with him. I want him to be old enough to remember it, but young enough so that I'm not tearing him away from his friends/social scene/clubs and activities. I started a savings category for this and am dutifully putting in small deposits, but at the rate that's going, I am not sure this will be achievable on the timeframe I imagine. Can I afford to contribute a bit less to retirement - say $7000/year instead of $9000 in my (4) SRA account -- in order to afford this? Any thoughts on making this dream come true though would be appreciated.

Lifestyle & Savings

I think I spend quite a lot of money. An amazing amount was going down the drain due to my financial illiteracy, consumer debt, fees, interest and the like (so painful to think about now). Now that that has been eliminated, my biggest expenses are:

1- childcare -- we will be getting out of this in the next 2 years. I spend about $1500/mo on childcare.
2- my house -- updating it, furnishings, decorating. It was a rental home for about 20 years and the maintenance shows it. I do also love to create a peaceful beautiful space for us. I am slowly cash flowing different upgrades. By this point, most of my expenses here are discretionary though. Mortgage, insurance, utilities, upgrades, furnishings, decorating etc. all together come to about 32% of my spending.
3- groceries and food. I eat fresh food and organic. My son has a few intolerances that are expensive to work around. And finally, as a single working parent, take-out, like childcare, is one of those expenses I decided to come to terms with.
4- It's very important to me that 10-15% of all my spending money goes to the causes I care for. - charities, political action, church, and other community needs.

-
Thanks for any and all perspective you have to share. I've already learned so much from this forum and all of you.
Last edited by Big Heart on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sahara

Re: Trying to get retirement & other goals figured out

Post by Sahara »

Big Heart wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 pm Greetings Bogleheads. I am in my 40s and only last year did I even start budgeting. One thing led to another and now I have big dreams. I would love to hear your thoughts and observations about how I might achieve them.

Questions:

1- Saving for college/vocational training. People say "take care of your own retirement first." I get dramatically different answers as to whether I have done this, depending on which calculator or perspective I consult. Right now I'm saving $100/mo to his 529. . . Can I afford to save $250/mo at my present rate of retirement savings, or should the next $150 I find in my budget also go towards retirement?

If I reduced my retirement savings to 10% of my income, with the employer match of 10% (i.e. 2-1 on the first 5%), could I still afford to save $250/mo towards college?

In my opinion this is a personal choice. From a quick look at your retirement savings, I believe you could reasonably choose to do this. Whether you could "afford" to do this seems to rely upon how you manage your income and other expenses.

I am not worried about overfunding 529 because I'd also love to contribute to my niece's educations with any money leftover.

2- Asset allocation. I didn't really decide on a percentage allocation between equities and bonds. Or rather, I read Simple Path and decided on 100% Vanguard stock index, then reconsidered and decided to reserve some for my mortgage payoff in case everything were to tank. So, when I took my money out of the lifecycle funds and put it to the index funds, I reserved about $86k in the Vanguard total bond fund, with the idea being just to protect my house. I am of a mind to just leave it with $86k in bonds and then have all new contributions go to the stock market fund and just check in again on the whole thing in 5 years . . in other words, not to rebalance. Would this be a mistake? I feel very risk tolerant due to the fact that so much of my spending is discretionary or, in the case of childcare, will soon be expiring, and due to the security of my employment and the fact that my job has a lot of 'give' in it (I could stand to work a bit longer than intended, etc.). However, I have never been "through a market downturn" in the sense that in 2008 I was protected by my complete ignorance of how retirement even works. So I don't know my "true" risk tolerance.

I would recommend that you edit your post using the pencil icon and include the portfolio review format so that members can get a clearer impression of your portfolio. See this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212 Once you've done that, members here can help you organize, perhaps consolidate, and understand your portfolio. From there you can tweak your plan for appropriate accounts and allocation.

3- Something I'd love to achieve is to travel with my son for a long period of time while he is young. I am blessed to have a job where that is a realistic possibility. So my vision is, in the next 5 years or so, to take a 6-month sabbatical and go explore the world with him. I want him to be old enough to remember it, but young enough so that I'm not tearing him away from his friends/social scene/clubs and activities since I think that can be hard for older kids. I started a savings category for this and am dutifully putting in small deposits but I am not sure that at the rate I'm saving, this will be achievable for us on the time frame I'm imagining. I might want to scale back the retirement savings a bit in order to afford this. I told myself that I will create a solid foundation for us, and then at that time revisit and see if things can be shifted-- maybe the answer is to fund that category from raises and savings in other places. Any thoughts on making this dream come true though would be appreciated. You might want to have a clearer idea of your overall retirement plan prior to making this decision. Once your portfolio is clearer, you will have a picture of your retirement prospects. That will inform the decision regarding future contribution amounts.

And more specifically -- If I *can* save up enough money to pay for an experience like that - is it ok to stop contributing to retirement during that period of time? Or when I budget out how much this adventure will cost should I keep budgeting retirement savings, which obviously would increase the cost quite a lot?

Thanks for any and all perspective you have to share. I've already learned so much from this forum and all of you.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Welcome to the forum!

Giving 10-15% annually to causes you care about is commendable. Consider including your child’s education in that category allocation too. Use a portion of the 10-15% to increase the 1% you currently contribute to the 529 account (edit: or a Roth IRA as suggested by another poster). College costs are high, student aid (if any) only covers a portion and the education debt load faced by some students is staggering.

As your income grows, there will be room to increase both along with your retirement savings.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Honestly I don't think you should be worrying about a 529 in your position. Retirement savings ok, but this is where you should be diverting extra funds.

529s are a rich persons tax shelter. You won't get as much benefit as opposed to your 403b. Max this first.

You are doing pretty good tho. Keep it up!

DA
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

Big Heart wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 pm
I just started contributing to the Roths and have had a lot of confusion around them.
Many people feel it is important to have pre-tax accounts such as the 403b as well as Roth accounts for tax diversification in retirement.

Contributions to tax-deferred vehicles during working years are preferable for an individual whose marginal tax bracket is higher during that period than it will be in retirement. This is due to the fact that the tax-deferred accounts allow one to defer the income tax paid on the amount contributed. When the money is withdrawn in retirement the individual is in a lower tax bracket and pays the income tax at a lower rate.

If an individual will receive a pension and/or has significant tax-deferred assets such as a 403b, their marginal tax rate may increase during retirement. For those individuals, contributing to a Roth may be more advantageous.

Ultimately this is a decision that has to be made on an individual basis and relies upon a number of interconnected factors. Members here can help you with this decision.

Keep in mind that the goal should not be to pay as little tax as possible. The goal should be to have as much money left over after taxes as possible.
Watty

Post by Watty »

If I understood your post right then it looks like all your retirement money is in retirement accounts. That would an ideal situation to use a target date retirement fund if you have a good low cost one in your account.

Big Heart wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 pm My only debt is my mortgage, $82,000 at 3.15% interest, which should be paid off in 10 years.
One great thing is that your mortgage will be paid off before your preschooler starts college. You can then use that money for college savings and even when your kid is in college you can use that cashflow to pay for the college expenses.

You will also need a smaller emergency fund once your house is paid off.

There are all sorts of opinions about paying off mortgage quickly or not but if I was in your situation I would probably put a higher priority on getting the house paid off than college savings.
Big Heart wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 pm 3- groceries and food. I eat fresh food and organic. My son has a few intolerances that are expensive to work around. And finally, as a single working parent, take-out, like childcare, is one of those expenses I decided to come to terms with.
You might consider getting a freezer so that you could prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them. It does not need to be that hard to do since when do have time to cook a meal you can just double or triple the recipe.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .

It looks like you are doing well on saving and investing. What is you age, and your child's age?

Are you making the maximum annual employee contribution ($19.5k) to your employer's 403b plan? In my opinion maximum annual employee contributions to that are a priority over contributions to a 529 account.

Is your employer a government or government agency? Or is your employer a charity or non-profit? If the 457b is a governmental plan then I also suggest making higher contributions to that plan a priority.

What target date funds are offered in your employer's 403b and 457b plans?

If good, low expense target date funds are offered then a target date fund may be your best choice. Using an allocation fund seems to insulate the investor from behavioral errors and so prices higher investor returns. Morningstar (8/15/2019) "Mind the Gap 2019", link. Using a target date fund also solves your dilemma about asset allocation.

Will you be eligible for both a substantial pension and Social Security benefits? What is your profession or occupation? About how much do you currently have in traditional tax-deferred accounts? Roth contributions may not be the best choice, depending on your facts.

Will your current employer's 457b plan accept a rollover from your old 457b accounts with your former employers? If so it may be wise to consolidate all 457b accounts.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

My tax rate is 24% federal, 4% state.

Roth 457b through employer: $800, contribute $100/mo
2 accounts with previous employers with about $500 each & no new contributions
Vanguard IRA: $6000, no new contributions
Vanguard Roth: $2500, contribute about $1000/year.
Big Heart,

1) Change your 457 contribution to pre-tax instead of Roth

2) Take the 24% + 4% = 28% tax savings from (1) and contribute to Roth IRA.

<<My 403b accounts hold about $510k of that. My employer matches 2-1 on 5% of my income,>>

3) Is your 403b -> Pre-tax or Roth?

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

Thank you all for these wonderful replies, I am working through them & edited the OP to make it more transparent.

To answer some questions, I am in my early 40s and my son is 4.

I am not making the maximum annual contribution to the 403b plan. I understand that's usually the best option, however due to my employer's generous match (they put in 10% for my first 5%) -- it hasn't seemed necessary to max.

My employer is a nonprofit.

The target funds had expenses that were low but still about 3x the (extremely low) expenses of the Vanguard ones. I feel at this point in my life, I'd rather learn how to behave mindfully , budget, and learn how this all works, instead of rely on the safety of the target fund, appreciating though how far it's carried me.

I am not pension eligible. When I last checked for SS I was on track to be eligible for about 4k/month if I take it starting at 67.

the ones w/previous employers are not 457 accounts but I will look into rolling over into my Vanguard IRA just to reduce the number of moving parts.

KlangFool, the one you pointed out is pre-tax; however when I went back to revise as per the instructions in the first post, I found an account not included in my original list which is now included - another Roth.

I have all these Roths due to my confusions about the different rules that apply to the different ones. I'd open one and then find out new information about how its rules were slightly different than the other Roths, and then open a different one. Then once I had so many Roths I thought, hey, why not put that to my advantage as I do with my use of YNAB & envelope budgeting. Their system has totally transformed my finances so I thought I could extend the idea out a little bit. I love putting $20/month into a Roth specially designated for a wild party/family adventure in 25 years :) It is the emotional element of making it feel more real.
Last edited by Big Heart on Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:43 am

KlangFool

Why do you say to do this, instead of changing the 457 contribution + 28% tax savings and putting that in pre-tax?

The 457 is for my big party :) It seems irrational when I write about it here, but in my monthly budget, giving each dollar a purpose has changed *everything*. My idea was to put that energy to work for retirement savings too, because when I open to check, I can see the balance for my party growing bigger :) Seeing that it is now $260 and last month was $238 is honestly more motivating than the bigger numbers of the other accounts, just because the purpose feels so tangible to me. .

I hear you all saying not to bother too much with Roths but that is where, in addition to 529, I had earmarked for college savings so how should I pay for college then? I absolutely want to support him in a meaningful way, not a full ride by any means, but meaningful support, yes.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Big Heart wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 pm
KlangFool wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:43 am

KlangFool

Why do you say to do this, instead of changing the 457 contribution + 28% tax savings and putting that in pre-tax?

The 457 is for my big party :) It seems irrational when I write about it here, but in my monthly budget, giving each dollar a purpose has changed *everything*. My idea was to put that energy to work for retirement savings too, because when I open to check, I can see the balance for my party growing bigger :) Seeing that it is now $260 and last month was $238 is honestly more motivating than the bigger numbers of the other accounts, just because the purpose feels so tangible to me. .

I hear you all saying not to bother too much with Roths but that is where, in addition to 529, I had earmarked for college savings so how should I pay for college then? I absolutely want to support him in a meaningful way, not a full ride by any means, but meaningful support, yes.
Big Heart,

Option 1

Contribute 19.5K to Roth 457 and 28% taxes on the 19.5K

Option 2

Contribute 19.5K to Trad 457

Use the 28% tax savings to max up Roth IRA and put additional saving into your taxable account. Option 2 gives you more money to pay for college education due to tax savings.

Your net take-home pay would be the same.

<<I hear you all saying not to bother too much with Roths but that is where, in addition to 529, I had earmarked for college savings>>

We are telling you not to bother with Roth 403B/Roth 457. But, max up your Roth IRA. If you have extra money, you could put it in the taxable account.

A) You could pay for college education with Roth IRA contribution, Taxable account, and your annual savings.

B) While your kid is in college, if you are working, you could spend from your taxable account and Roth IRA and contribute to Trad 457/Trad 403B at the same time.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Big Heart wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:14 pm . . . . .
To answer some questions, I am in my early 40s and my son is 4.

I am not making the maximum annual contribution to the 403b plan. I understand that's usually the best option, however due to my employer's generous match (they put in 10% for my first 5%) -- it hasn't seemed necessary to max.

My employer is a nonprofit.

The target funds had expenses that were low but still about 3x the (extremely low) expenses of the Vanguard ones. I feel at this point in my life, I'd rather learn how to behave mindfully , budget, and learn how this all works, instead of rely on the safety of the target fund, appreciating though how far it's carried me.
. . . . . .
Since your 457b plan is non-governmental I suggest stopping contributions to the 457b and increasing contributions to your 403b account. A non-governmental 457b has many shortcomings. Wiki article "457(b)".

I suggest maximum annual employee contributions to the 403b as a priority over contributions to a 529 account.

I would also make maximum annual Roth IRA contributions a priority over contributions to a 529, because the Roth IRA is much more flexible in terms of use of the money. It's not limited to just qualified educational expenses.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
Topic Author
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

OK. I will move the Roth 403b & 457 & 529 contributions to the Trad 403b & Roth IRA, including an extra $84/mo (28% of $300). I hadn't realized how close I already was to maxxing the Trad 403b. KlangFool how you laid it out made a lot of sense.

About the 529. There is something counterintuitive to me that a 4% discount going in (state tax) and then tax-free coming out (education expenses) is a *less* good option than no discount going in, and tax-free coming out. I understand about flexibility but the 529 itself is so flexible. It's hard for me to imagine that between my son and my 2 nieces, there won't be, say, $40k of educational expenses *somewhere* especially if vocational training is in there. But I am hearing everyone unanimous. The other thing is realizing that between no mortgage, and no childcare, I could actually cashflow about how much I wanted to offer him & my nieces anyways. So, I think we will be fine.

I also made up a new budget in YNAB just for retirement. Each month I can log a $20 contribution to my retirement celebration event there, instead of keeping a separate open account in the 457b. Thanks ruralavalon. We'll see how well that works. In my budget I also moved my Roth IRA category out of the "Basics" category grouping , and into the category grouping for my son. I think that will increase my motivation.

Any thoughts about asset allocation and this travel time with my boy? Do I risk overfunding retirement at the possible expense of a really meaningful experience with my kid while he is young? Contributing almost 35K/year total to retirement (between me & employer) when SS on its own practically covers my living expenses . . I don't know. I am going to try it for this year because I want to learn & grow but I am still not sure.
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

That sounds good. It looks like you’ll use accounts 3 and 8 for new contributions.

If you want to move away from target date funds I would suggest you do some reading about asset allocation and the three fund portfolio. Once you’ve decided upon an asset allocation you feel will work (what % you want in bonds, stocks and international) the board can help you decide which funds to utilize in each account.

Keep in mind that consolidating the stray accounts may take some time and tenacity.

Regarding the decision to travel with your son, I am a huge proponent of exposing children to other cultures, especially those less fortunate than ours. I do believe that that experience might be more meaningful at a later age. Perhaps in 2 years when the childcare expenses go away you could relabel that envelope for travel with your son?

I understand that you feel secure with your estimated social security. Sometimes things happen in life and those secure predictions don’t come to fruition. A job loss, a health crisis or simply a desire to transition prior to age 67 would require that you have significant retirement savings. This is the rationale behind most of the advice provided, including the advice relative to the 529 plan. Funding one’s own retirement takes priority. Does it help to look at it from that perspective?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Big Heart wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 pm OK. I will move the Roth 403b & 457 & 529 contributions to the Trad 403b & Roth IRA, including an extra $84/mo (28% of $300). I hadn't realized how close I already was to maxxing the Trad 403b. KlangFool how you laid it out made a lot of sense.

About the 529. There is something counterintuitive to me that a 4% discount going in (state tax) and then tax-free coming out (education expenses) is a *less* good option than no discount going in, and tax-free coming out. I understand about flexibility but the 529 itself is so flexible. It's hard for me to imagine that between my son and my 2 nieces, there won't be, say, $40k of educational expenses *somewhere* especially if vocational training is in there. But I am hearing everyone unanimous. The other thing is realizing that between no mortgage, and no childcare, I could actually cashflow about how much I wanted to offer him & my nieces anyways. So, I think we will be fine.

I also made up a new budget in YNAB just for retirement. Each month I can log a $20 contribution to my retirement celebration event there, instead of keeping a separate open account in the 457b. Thanks ruralavalon. We'll see how well that works. In my budget I also moved my Roth IRA category out of the "Basics" category grouping , and into the category grouping for my son. I think that will increase my motivation.

Any thoughts about asset allocation and this travel time with my boy? Do I risk overfunding retirement at the possible expense of a really meaningful experience with my kid while he is young? Contributing almost 35K/year total to retirement (between me & employer) when SS on its own practically covers my living expenses . . I don't know. I am going to try it for this year because I want to learn & grow but I am still not sure.
Here are calculators you can use to assess the range of of possible outcomes at different from levels of contributions:
1) www.firecalc.com; and
2) www.i-orp.com.

With your retirement savings on track, the mortgage paid off, and no child care expenses you can cash flow what you have much in mind for college expenses and travel.

I still suggest using a target date fund for greatest simplicity. If you want individual index funds instead, start by reading these wiki articles:
1) Bogleheads® investment philosophy;
2) Three-fund portfolio; and
3) Asset allocation.
Topic Author
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

It does help, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge.

I like how much simpler this all feels.

I appreciate too the links to more reading that were offered, so I can continue to educate myself.
Topic Author
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

A follow-up . . I've been reading the links posted, and lots more.

If I do a new thread focusing specifically on funds, AA, and target funds -- do I list *all* the funds available for each account? Or just select the ones that I think are the main contenders? What format is best?

Thanks again.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Big Heart wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:48 pm A follow-up . . I've been reading the links posted, and lots more.

If I do a new thread focusing specifically on funds, AA, and target funds -- do I list *all* the funds available for each account? Or just select the ones that I think are the main contenders? What format is best?

Thanks again.
List all funds offered in the work-based accounts. If the list is extremely long just give the 3-4 funds for each work-based account with the lowest expense ratios in each core fund category (domestic stocks, international stocks, fixed income). Also include one of the target date fund series. Please give the fund names, tickers and expense ratios.

Use this format: Asking Portfolio Questions.