Suggestion for Free Personal Portfolio Management Software

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
vinny2005

Suggestion for Free Personal Portfolio Management Software

Post by vinny2005 »

Please let me know if you know of a free personal portfolio management software? I am searching on internet, couldn't find a decent one.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

What features do you require?

The M* portfolio manager is free if you sign up for it via a free TRowePrice account. (see this link for how to sign up: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ ... post578722 ). It lacks some features though.

Both Quicken and MSMoney have free trial versions. You can probably buy them for about $30. Not quite free, but just forego one dinner out with the family.

investor.msn.com finance.yahoo.com smartmoney.com all have free portfolio managers as well.

mint.com and yodlee.com are possible options, but I have not used them.

Alot of folks around here have built Excel portfolio managers, but you know Excel is not free, but maybe an OpenOffice spreadsheet would work.
bhzmark

Post by bhzmark »

specifically anyone know of a portfolio tracking program (free or not) that tracks dividends? MSN Portfolio, Yodlee and Morningstar do not (which are all otherwise excellent programs). MSN portfolio has a great historical charting, and yodlee and M* have great asset allocation features.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I never had a problem putting reinvesting dividends into MSN portfolio manager, nor into M* portfolio manager.
cato

Post by cato »

That's easy:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/

Nothing else comes close. They have a free trial.
Citigroup delenda est.
bhzmark

Post by bhzmark »

livesoft wrote:I never had a problem putting reinvesting dividends into MSN portfolio manager, nor into M* portfolio manager.
I don't mean doing it manually for investment that you own. I mean the historical charts that calculates the return by also considering historical dividends paid as well as capital gain. The Total Return column in MSN portoflio isn't actually Total Return -- it is just capital gain; it leaves out dividends.
Bounca

Post by Bounca »

smartmoney.com is the only portoflio tracker I've known of that alerts of a dividend and prompts you to reinvest it or not and calculates things accordingly. Through the years I've used it here and there. I feel it is the most underated tracker out there. It is overlooked relative to M* and msn.
Hexdump

I am pretty sure that Microsoft's

Post by Hexdump »

bhzmark wrote:
livesoft wrote:I never had a problem putting reinvesting dividends into MSN portfolio manager, nor into M* portfolio manager.
I don't mean doing it manually for investment that you own. I mean the historical charts that calculates the return by also considering historical dividends paid as well as capital gain. The Total Return column in MSN portoflio isn't actually Total Return -- it is just capital gain; it leaves out dividends.
product, called "Managing Your Money" includes dividends in the calculation of gain.

hex
brainstem

Post by brainstem »

I have used MS Money for my portfolio management but the SOBs in Seattle have decided they do not make enough money from my buying it every two or three years -- so they are dumping support soon and now longer sell the product -- so stay away.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I used to view the historical charts, but you know, what's the point? What kind of information do you get from viewing those charts anyways? Really. Be honest.
bhzmark

Post by bhzmark »

Cake Financial looks very good. It doesn't have as many brokerages as yodlee yet though.