Vanguard: Moving funds between mutual / brokerage accounts

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
criticalmass

Vanguard: Moving funds between mutual / brokerage accounts

Post by criticalmass »

Very basic question about moving assets withing Vanguard:

I have both a Vanguard mutual fund account and brokerage accounts, for taxable and retirement.
When making IRA contributions from personal (taxable) mutual fund cash, I decided I would use the IRA brokerage account. I can transfer into the IRA settlement fund same day, yay.

But it appears I have to wait another business day to move to the final security--to obtain settlement "funds available to trade?" Is this right? For many years, I've usually used the mutual fund account, which is easy to move fund --> fund, retirement or not, same day, so hadn't noticed this.
David Jay

Re: Vanguard: Moving funds between mutual / brokerage accounts

Post by David Jay »

Yes, there is one extra day to move from the mutual fund account.

If you were to convert the mutual fund account (so all accounts are brokerage accounts), then you could do an "exchange" between funds - even in different accounts - so the assets do not need the extra step of going through the settlement account.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
criticalmass

Re: Vanguard: Moving funds between mutual / brokerage accounts

Post by criticalmass »

David Jay wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:55 am Yes, there is one extra day to move from the mutual fund account.

If you were to convert the mutual fund account (so all accounts are brokerage accounts), then you could do an "exchange" between funds - even in different accounts - so the assets do not need the extra step of going through the settlement account.
Maybe someday when they force me to. In the meantime, I'm keeping my mutual fund account.
Very strange that Vanguard --> Vanguard transfers need two business days though, even if they are separate sub accounts.