18 to 100 percent annual return fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Zillions

Re: 18 to 100 percent annual return fund

Post by Zillions »

Invictus002 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:50 pm
Zillions wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:50 pm
Invictus002 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:21 pm Omg! This guys has checked all checkboxes for a shady ponzi like scheme.

I took some time to do some research, they complicate an iron condor on SPY or QQQ to generate premiums. This can be done without the extra complications and lesser steps.

If they are real pro (which they claim), they will trade $SPX/$NDX with a better tax treatment than SPY/QQQ.

Few things:
1. Shared it with real prop/wall st traders with decades of wall st, experience, they laugh at these guys.

2. The 3 founders of this company have no background or experience in finance/trading. In their webinars, they sound like amateurs at the best.

3. The free tips this company gives are over complicated.

4. These strategies are not scalable, they might work for smaller accounts.

5. The company tries to capitalize on the upper middle class ethnic/country (India) group that's growing fast in USA.
*** these are his sole clients*** . I saw how they encourage novice people in their community, for instance, they encouraged a couple with 1 month trading experience to start a new hedge fund!

6. Their charitable organization looks so shady and the webinars sounds phony, targeted for the Indian group.

7. His secret hedge fund - has all characteristics of scam. Seems, one can take the profits from his hedge fund and invest it with his own real estate arm and charitable organizations for better tax treatment! Simply, he means, redemption is hard.

8.I watched few webinars where they are pitching, super high fee universal life insurance, pooled real estate investments (with their company), CPA services to setup S-Corp for trading, getting qualified trader status with IRS, charity to get some tax benefits and all kinds of stuff for investing small amounts such as $100-$250k range. VTI will yield better results in long run without doing these things.

9. Seems, their hedge fund uses think or swim and interactive brokers to trade, not sure why not Robinhood! Lol!

10. Wall st would be after these guy, if he returns 100%, but they are not, so that gives us a clue.

11. This company or the guy has no records, leave alone track record. They operate from their house address, not know of any hedge funds that operate out of residential address.
The founders' "qualifications" are an MBA in Finance, an MS in Computer Science, and courses in "FinTech" from Harvard X, respectively. The site says nothing about actual experience running a hedge fund or employment with an established mutual fund. And the SEC filing for Main Guy claims one license and a year's worth of associated "experience". A far cry from the 100% returns he promises every year.

Hmmmmmmm. Ok. These guys are either supremely over confident or they're conmen.

Don't know about the tax warrant issues to the main guy. He & his wife (?) both seem to have fairly common South Indian names, so it may not be them. Main Guy seems to live in Frisco, TX, while warrant is from KS, but it still doesn't bode an auspicious start.

My question, though, is why they haven't been investigated yet? Is it because no scam has actually been perpetrated?
Couple of things, it looks from public sources, these are the same people from KS.

SEC investigations take a long time and they are not public. These kinds of companies are usually investigated by SEC, FBI, IRS, US Postal Inspectors, CFPB and local law enforcement in coordination.

... and SEC/FBI will not usually spend time unless these guys run into several millions of scam, IMO, though they claim, their hedge fund at $950M, it's not believable.

This looks more like a joke to lure in not much informed Indians in US investors.

Watch their publically available facebook group videos, you can figure out lots of funny, unsophisticated acts.

Join their telegram group, it's another joke.
I just might, for the lulz. I am a fully committed Boglehead now with my portfolio in VTI, VOO, VXUS & BND. Could you DM me the links to their FB & Telegram groups, please?

It's really sad if they're actually trying to hoodwink / swindle their compatriots. Greed is a nasty thing.

How is it known with any certainty that these are the same people as the couple in KS? I doubt any public sources list their DOBs or SSNs? Just curious, that's all.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am That's why it has piqued my interest.
OP,

1. This sounds like major FOMO.

2. In the website, they claim to "believe" in the Efficient Market Theory (Hypothesis?). EMH doesn't believe in Alpha, so just how much risk are they expecting (or trying to rationalize their way through?)

3. Diamond levels, Platinum levels?? Your friend is now into recruiting new investors? Smells like MLM!

4. From your posts you appear to be an intelligent person. Why did it take you so long to recognize the scam?
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 am Hi,
One of my acquaintance referred me to this guy for investment. This financial guru who runs his own fund is claiming that he generates up to 100 percent annual return with his option strategy and that too consistently and without a risk of loss. He says less than 20% annual return is really bad.
Is it possible? Am I missing something here? I have never seen such a confident financial guru before. Also I have never heard about his company before. Have you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXsvLwzVyxw
https://nanbanenterprise.com/meet-gk/
Does the word Madoff ring a bell?
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

One of my acquaintance referred me to this guy for investment. This financial guru who runs his own fund is claiming that he generates up to 100 percent annual return with his option strategy and that too consistently and without a risk of loss. He says less than 20% annual return is really bad.
Is it possible? Am I missing something here? I have never seen such a confident financial guru before. Also I have never heard about his company before. Have you?

100% return and no risk of loss? What could go wrong?

I mean if it’s on the internet must be true. 🤣
Zillions

Post by Zillions »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:03 pm

Abe Lincoln said this in 1860. Did you give him credit for this quote? 😂😂😂😂
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

Zillions wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:59 pm

It actually was Thomas Jefferson.

"Everyone is a genius during a bull market."
- Gandhi
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Enjoyed reading this thread, not sure how I did not see it back in February.
Others beat me to it but of course my first thought was optionsellers.com. Basically letting someone trade an account in your name, so not only might it go to zero, you might OWE money!
Sigh.
Glad the OP declined... another save for the Bogleheads!
Cheers
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Reminded me of SouthPark Bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DT7bX-B1Mg

"And it's gone."
Zillions

Post by Zillions »

ApeAttack wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:07 pm

It actually was Thomas Jefferson.

"Everyone is a genius during a bull market."
- Gandhi
Ah, yes, it was indeed Thomas Jefferson. I stand corrected.

But I believe the bull market quote was originally spoken by an unnamed Dutch merchant in March 1637. Leibniz repeated that quote to mock arch rival Newton over the latter's South Sea Company stock dealings in 1720.

Gandhi merely quoted Leibniz after Jinnah's Wall Street shennanigans in 1929 came to light.

Let's give credit where credit is due.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Honest Abe had internet in 1860? 😁
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

Invictus002 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:21 pm Omg! This guys has checked all checkboxes for a shady ponzi like scheme.

I took some time to do some research, they complicate an iron condor on SPY or QQQ to generate premiums. This can be done without the extra complications and lesser steps.

If they are real pro (which they claim), they will trade $SPX/$NDX with a better tax treatment than SPY/QQQ.

Few things:
1. Shared it with real prop/wall st traders with decades of wall st, experience, they laugh at these guys.

2. The 3 founders of this company have no background or experience in finance/trading. In their webinars, they sound like amateurs at the best.

5. The company tries to capitalize on the upper middle class ethnic/country (India) group that's growing fast in USA.
*** these are his sole clients*** . I saw how they encourage novice people in their community, for instance, they encouraged a couple with 1 month trading experience to start a new hedge fund!

6. Their charitable organization looks so shady and the webinars sounds phony, targeted for the Indian group.

7. His secret hedge fund - has all characteristics of scam. Seems, one can take the profits from his hedge fund and invest it with his own real estate arm and charitable organizations for better tax treatment! Simply, he means, redemption is hard.

8.I watched few webinars where they are pitching, super high fee universal life insurance, pooled real estate investments (with their company), CPA services to setup S-Corp for trading, getting qualified trader status with IRS, charity to get some tax benefits and all kinds of stuff for investing small amounts such as $100-$250k range. VTI will yield better results in long run without doing these things.

9. Seems, their hedge fund uses think or swim and interactive brokers to trade, not sure why not Robinhood! Lol!

10. Wall st would be after these guy, if he returns 100%, but they are not, so that gives us a clue.

11. This company or the guy has no records, leave alone track record. They operate from their house address, not know of any hedge funds that operate out of residential address.
The founders' "qualifications" are an MBA in Finance, an MS in Computer Science, and courses in "FinTech" from Harvard X, respectively. The site says nothing about actual experience running a hedge fund or employment with an established mutual fund. And the SEC filing for Main Guy claims one license and a year's worth of associated "experience". A far cry from the 100% returns he promises every year.

Don't know about the tax warrant issues to the main guy. He & his wife (?) both seem to have fairly common South Indian names, so it may not be them. Main Guy seems to live in Frisco, TX, while warrant is from KS, but it still doesn't bode an auspicious start.

My question, though, is why they haven't been investigated yet? Is it because no scam has actually been perpetrated?
Couple of things, it looks from public sources, these are the same people from KS.

SEC investigations take a long time and they are not public. These kinds of companies are usually investigated by SEC, FBI, IRS, US Postal Inspectors, CFPB and local law enforcement in coordination.

... and SEC/FBI will not usually spend time unless these guys run into several millions of scam, IMO, though they claim, their hedge fund at $950M, it's not believable.

This looks more like a joke to lure in not much informed Indians in US investors.

Watch their publically available facebook group videos, you can figure out lots of funny, unsophisticated acts.

UPDATE.
YTD returns (per acquaintances. I didn't invest and followed advice of this forum) so far I believe have been around 20% which is similar to sp500, and no where near the promised 100% annual returns, thus disappointing folks who invested in this. :moneybag
Toons

Post by Toons »

Lower your expectations
and be thankful for
6% compounded
over decades

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I’ve been doing this for 10 years. Invested 100k and now I have 100 million dollars

The consistent 100% returns are great
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
Invictus002

Post by Invictus002 »

johnsmithsf wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Few things:

UPDATE.
YTD returns (per acquaintances. I didn't invest and followed advice of this forum) so far I believe have been around 20% which is similar to sp500, and no where near the promised 100% annual returns, thus disappointing folks who invested in this. :moneybag
Instead of doing so much work on their secret options strategy (BTW it's just selling puts and covered calls, nothing more), you could have gained more investing in SPY or QQQ alone.

Instead, the folks in this program are experiencing wash sales and losses that do not count against their profits for tax purposes. Their options strategy will have drawdowns when the markets goes down by even 4%, which is very normal.
Every drawdown takes twice as much time to recover with their strategy.

End of the day, at its best, if you know how to play well in the options world, you might catch up with buy and hold gains in QQQ or SPY.
hnd

Post by hnd »

johnsmithsf wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Few things:

UPDATE.
vfiax is at like 22% ytd.
hnd

Post by hnd »

i have a friend who does a ton of options stuff. he's been doing it for 3 years. when we last talked he was up about as much as i was in my play account from just buying what i thought was a low price and holding.
Waterthyplants

Post by Waterthyplants »

This is total fraud. [OT comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] I attended a webinar ms the CEO is the most arrogant person you will come across on corporate world. I heard they are under SEC investigation. Guess some of the members here predicted this several months ago. Hope people don’t lose money. .
jimkitt

Post by jimkitt »

I don't know much about options and he is claiming 18 to more than 100% annual returns with options with his technique with no risk to the principle.
That's why it has piqued my interest.
I guess Madoff has been busy.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Interesting thread. Thanks.

Am I reading this correctly?

https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/search/genericsearch/list

"Gopala Krishnan
CRD#: 7272906 IA Previous Investment Adviser"

2020 - 2021 <1 year
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Check out VTSAX total returns for the last three years:

2021 -- 25.72%
2020 -- 20.99%
2019 -- 30.80%
callahanrazor

Post by callahanrazor »

saagar_is_cool wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 am
johnsmithsf wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:36 pm
saagar_is_cool wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm It is interesting that many bogleheads here believe that you cannot beat the market or get 100% returns. I went with a stock picking service last year that does earnings plays and made close to $36k on a $30k investment ($60k investment if you consider the extra $30k padding that I added to avoid margin of any kind). Yes, it is possible to make 100% returns in a given year and doesn’t need to be a scam. Look at CPOAX returns for the last year.

That said, the key point is, you cannot make 100% returns in the market consistently. That is the key. You can make 100% in one year and lose that amount in the next year etc. Like someone else mentioned, it is possible that the people making these claims also are looking at their 1 year performance in a good year and are making these claims.

It is easy to get carried away with these. The key is to use small portion of your total portfolio to make these bets. I am doing this as I noted in my thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=339697. I alerted my friend who referred me to these training sessions to not risk all of his portfolio in it. All those said, I won’t go with the hedgefund option but will go with the training strategies that they mentioned, which is standard options trading stratgies to sell covered calls and buy put insurance to protect downside on SPY for cashflow which is expected to go up in the long run.

You can say the same thing to people who bought the TSLA stocks and the others like Hedgefundie’s thread - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=272007
Just curious, is your friend still investing in this (beyond the free level 1 or 2)?
My friends didn't listen...
He is already locked in to an LLC which does the hedgefund. I gave him this thread and advised him to not go all-in. He confirmed that he is doing only with a small portion of his portfolio. He has seen consistent returns with free level 1 or level 2 and jumped into the hedgefund. As I said before, Level 1 / Level 2 looks like a sales funnel into the hedgefund ponzi scheme. Beyond advise and pointing to this thread, I do not want to interfere further with his decisions on his money.
How are the returns looking with levels 1 and 2? Is it something worth attempting, or is it just an overly complicated set of steps to lure you into giving them your money - so they could do the investing for you?
DrikDroolHeart

Post by DrikDroolHeart »

Hello All!
My first post! I found bogleheads looking into leveraged inverse ETFs. (Read a few posts on TQQQ/SQQQ.)
Years back (2016 or so) Thought I was a genius recognizing the VIX as an oscillator! (no kidding) - and like so many others have pondered thought - sell calls on UVXY. The instrument itself has a heavy downward bias due to leverage, selling calls also have the negative trend of time a decay/erosion. I made pretty good money in short terms selling on volatility peaks - vix >20. Note that when vix is up the volatility price of uvxy is also up, so selling at a premium. UVXY goes down faster than SQQQ! 8 years ago you could have shorted 2mil worth of uvxy and if you had unlimited funds to cover the ridiculous bumps in the road, could by it back today for 17$ SQQQ 12 years ago .5mil to buy back to day at 42 or so. Selling calls or directly shorting long term limits profit you can only double your money - sell it and buy back for nothing - as the price gets smaller and smaller your rate of return slows (percentage drop of smaller numbers, smaller difference) - same goes for selling the calls.
The trouble with UVXY is that it can go absolutely crazy overnight!! Literally up 13 fold in a few weeks at times - if you get caught up, margined, forced out your left with suicidal ideation! The other characteristic of UVXY is it takes much longer to recover than SQQQ. The covid crash 2020 uvxy took nine months to get back down to its level, sqqq only 2. Clearly selling naked calls is a very dangerous borderline retarded risk. Option spreads are better, but limiting - Maybe the simple is the best - buy puts! Yes time decay works against you - and long term is expensive.
I welcome any thoughts people may have. Currently looking at risk to reward I think cost averaging long TQQQ is likely the best option - or buying calls. Risk is not unlimited. Q: why does TQQQ perform so much better in the long run than UPRO or any other leveraged etf for that matter?? It has less decay for some reason.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just in case anyone isn't clear on what HarvardX is... it is a wonderful resource for self-improvement. It is inappropriate to mention as a credential unless you are hoping people will misinterpret it.

HarvardX is part of EdX. EdX is similar to Coursera, and offers free courses "from" famous universities. The course I personally took consisted of videos made by a Harvard professor that presented a grand total of perhaps 10% of the hours one would have spent in his classroom taking the corresponding in-person course. Passing the course required taking perhaps twenty short multiple-choice quizzes with a ridiculously loose "pass" criterion*, and doing two projects--writing an essay and making a video--which were graded by peers. For about $50, you could sign on as a "verified certificate," prove ID, and get awarded a certificate showing you had passed the course.

*Multiple-choice, "passing" = 50% correct, four choices per question, and you are allowed two tries at each question. Did you just do a double-take? Yep, you're right.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:10 amDon't you feel it when you see a nearly new 4 wheel drive kubota on craigslist for $2500? I sure do.
Backhoe included!
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

DrikDroolHeart wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am Hello All!
My first post! I found bogleheads looking into leveraged inverse ETFs. (Read a few posts on TQQQ/SQQQ.)
Years back (2016 or so) Thought I was a genius recognizing the VIX as an oscillator! (no kidding) - and like so many others have pondered thought - sell calls on UVXY. The instrument itself has a heavy downward bias due to leverage, selling calls also have the negative trend of time a decay/erosion. I made pretty good money in short terms selling on volatility peaks - vix >20. Note that when vix is up the volatility price of uvxy is also up, so selling at a premium. UVXY goes down faster than SQQQ! 8 years ago you could have shorted 2mil worth of uvxy and if you had unlimited funds to cover the ridiculous bumps in the road, could by it back today for 17$ SQQQ 12 years ago .5mil to buy back to day at 42 or so. Selling calls or directly shorting long term limits profit you can only double your money - sell it and buy back for nothing - as the price gets smaller and smaller your rate of return slows (percentage drop of smaller numbers, smaller difference) - same goes for selling the calls.
The trouble with UVXY is that it can go absolutely crazy overnight!! Literally up 13 fold in a few weeks at times - if you get caught up, margined, forced out your left with suicidal ideation! The other characteristic of UVXY is it takes much longer to recover than SQQQ. The covid crash 2020 uvxy took nine months to get back down to its level, sqqq only 2. Clearly selling naked calls is a very dangerous borderline retarded risk. Option spreads are better, but limiting - Maybe the simple is the best - buy puts! Yes time decay works against you - and long term is expensive.
I welcome any thoughts people may have. Currently looking at risk to reward I think cost averaging long TQQQ is likely the best option - or buying calls. Risk is not unlimited. Q: why does TQQQ perform so much better in the long run than UPRO or any other leveraged etf for that matter?? It has less decay for some reason.
Welcome! This may not be the right forum for your investing approach. This forum uses a diversified long-term buy-and-hold approach using low-cost index funds.

You can read more about it here: Bogleheads® investment philosophy

Those not familiar with leverage should also see: Leveraged and inverse ETFs and note the big orange warning box at the top of the page.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

DrikDroolHeart wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am Hello All!
Welcome to the forum….

I find it pretty ironic you found us when looking into inverse leveraged ETFs.

Others might have some insights for you ….

My investing approach is radically different, if you are interested check out the Wiki.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
DrikDroolHeart

Post by DrikDroolHeart »

Thnaks for the Link. Seems a relatively common mantra. "couch potatoe investor" has a similar approach.
Yet buying tqqq and holding for the long term outperforms pretty much anything else, unless options and leverage is employed. I just wonder if that is going to change soon - maybe starting this year tqqq will no longer perform as well - especially if the bear market really begins in earnest. Guess I was looking around to see if anyone wanted to share observations on what i wrote. How do I start a new thread? Perhaps my blurb should not have been under the title: "8 - 100 percent annual return fund" ?
Candor

Post by Candor »

DrikDroolHeart wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:47 pm Thnaks for the Link. Seems a relatively common mantra. "couch potatoe investor" has a similar approach.
Yet buying tqqq and holding for the long term outperforms pretty much anything else, unless options and leverage is employed. I just wonder if that is going to change soon - maybe starting this year tqqq will no longer perform as well - especially if the bear market really begins in earnest. Guess I was looking around to see if anyone wanted to share observations on what i wrote. How do I start a new thread? Perhaps my blurb should not have been under the title: "8 - 100 percent annual return fund" ?

You may want to try this thread which is more in line with what you are interested in discussing.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=288192&start=11350
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

z3r0c00l wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:29 am
johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am This acquaintance has been telling me that I am missing out on an opportunity of a life time which can lead to early retirement. He has already invested in this.
I don't know much about options and he is claiming 18 to more than 100% annual returns with options with his technique with no risk to the principle.
Either he is an unwitting victim or he is part of the scam looking to make some kind of referral fee.
Financial Amway?
dru808

Post by dru808 »

Cyanide123 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 am

100% has a fairly decent risk of loss. Those are pretty risky options.

I think i can do 20 percent with a similar risk profile compared to owning sp500 using naked puts and credit spreads if i was very conservative with far out there money put selling.

For reference I'm currently up 22% in last 3 months, which is when i sold my entire 3 fund portfolio and went with exclusively options only.

Impressive consistency in your long term track record, Best of luck.
1 fund
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

A good top tier institutional venture capital fund can expect to return 300%…over the ten year life of the fund. Or about 12% a year net of fees. But with very high risk.

But this rando gets 18 with no risk?
bberris

Post by bberris »

DrikDroolHeart wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am ...
The trouble with UVXY is that it can go absolutely crazy overnight!! Literally up 13 fold in a few weeks at times - if you get caught up, margined, forced out your left with suicidal ideation! ....
I try to avoid investments whose range of possible outcomes is suicide.
leaningfox

Post by leaningfox »

Investor: He turned out to be just another random guy. SEC is investigating the firm and he is not able to implement the strategies, so far close to 0% return. Still does hefty promises. Closed few of his funds, but opened other nanban business(like real estate, ventures,) all with lofty claims. I have not invested in others. Will exit soon from hedge fund(no so hedge fund). Does one way communication and encourages limited questions on the pretext of doing a favor to the community by allowing to invest in his fund.
Invictus002

Post by Invictus002 »

I got some info and found that this person is being invetigated by SEC and his "hedge fund" :oops: does not exist anymore.

https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/firm/summary/309971

Looks like in 2021 his returns were negative!

He is running around just claiming fake success in other pooled investment areas like real estate, but I get a feeling its just a ponzi.

BTW - I called it when I saw their profiles some time back on my posts.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

If you hate your money then invest it with him
atlguy

Post by atlguy »

Anybody generating those kind of returns is not shopping investment opportunities to anyone.
Totally fake
NovaGirl13

Post by NovaGirl13 »

Anything more on this company? They’ve recently approached a company I’m involved in that raises equity for real estate projects. Seems some things don’t align but I cant quite out a finger (or google search) on it. But my radar has immediately gone up
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

OP,
If he was that good, why is he asking for contributions from you? Hedge funds would be knocking on his door, or he would be simply running his and friends and family money.
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

These posts are always easy, why would he/she ever share this bonanza with you???
And do you really think some guy working out of a strip mall somehow has outsmarted the nearly unlimited resources of the general banking and investment community? If you just can’t resist give him 10k, give it a kiss goodbye first, and let him triple it for you…
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
Robert20

Post by Robert20 »

Where can I check their annual returns compared with SPY/VTI since 2000?
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

NovaGirl13 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:14 am Anything more on this company? They’ve recently approached a company I’m involved in that raises equity for real estate projects. Seems some things don’t align but I cant quite out a finger (or google search) on it. But my radar has immediately gone up
Did you see Invictus post a few slots before yours? SEC investigation. :shock:
Gennaro Dillinger

Post by Gennaro Dillinger »

If you can generate 100% return, why bother selling the service? It's BS.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

jimkitt wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:43 am
I guess Madoff has been busy.
Madoff only promised 10% returns. And that was a Ponzi scheme.

This is what you call a "red flag."
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

Gennaro Dillinger wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:09 am If you can generate 100% return, why bother selling the service? It's BS.
100% gains turns $5000 into $74 million in just 10 years, 9 Billion in 15 years and 1 trillion in 20 years. Why on earth would you need clients? :oops:

That's what I always ask myself when people are selling crazy investment ideas. If you can beat the market by that much, why do you need my money?
3funder

Post by 3funder »

My father paid a portion of his college costs after making a correct options bet. His reflection: "I wouldn't do it again. I could have just as easily lost the principal investment." Don't pay this clown any mind.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am This acquaintance has been telling me that I am missing out on an opportunity of a life time which can lead to early retirement. He has already invested in this.
If he could do this, he would be a trillionaire and wouldn’t need to hustle money from poors. But hey, you can win if you don’t play.
uaeebs86

Post by uaeebs86 »

Seems legit :eyeroll
"Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out." ― John Wooden
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

johnsmithsf wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:50 pm I am now actually amazed at human psychology.

I talked to 2 otherwise smart and very successful people who are investing big time into this and recruiting their friends as well. Despite all the red flags, they would still continue to invest their money with this guy due to the promise of astronomical returns :moneybag and the opportunity to get into a new "hedge fund" :shock:

As someone said, greed is a strange, strange sin...
I like Charlie Munger's take on it. It's not really greed, but envy.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
arcticpineapplecorp.

johnsmithsf wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:22 pm UPDATE.
is there any money back guarantee?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
arcticpineapplecorp.

johnsmithsf wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:24 pm
redmaw wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:23 pm
jarjarM wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:11 pm
hi_there wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:05 pm
newguy123 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm Look into optionsellers.com saga and how this guy who wrote books on selling options and appeared as a guest commenter on cnbc blew up selling options ... should give you a hint at anyone who claims to be an expert lol. Oh if you want a laugh here is his apology video after losing the money and leaving the people who invested with him owing the broker money (yes they actually OWED money after this saga)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI395YShGRQ

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... ns-to.html
It was painful to watch the apology when it came out, and it still is. The guy appeared to be remorseful, but that won't get back his clients' money unfortunately.
Here's a great write up of the whole thing blowed up by ERN.

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2018/12/ ... s-debacle/
You beat me to, I literally copied that address already.

Now to be fair, peple should stop calling this a ponzi. It was posted above you deposit your money in a third party broker account, and he trades for you. That in itself is legitimate (no saying a good idea) so its not a ponzi. That said, if you are getting up to 100% return while being "market neutral" there must be a ton of leverage, which opens you not only to loss of capital, but potentially owing more money then you initially invested. Based on when this company started (July) I wonder whose portfolio this guy ruined in March. I wonder if googling his home address will find a laundry list of failed companies in his wake.
He advertises five level of option strategies.

Level 1 & 2. His Organization teaches you for free. You are supposed to earn at least 20%/year on your own with this

Level 3, 4 and 5. Apparently you have to give his organization your money and organization invests your money on the basis of their Level 3, 4 and 5 strategies. As I understand, you won't get detailed transaction report in order to keep Level 3, 4 and 5 strategies secret.
You will get a K1 at the end of the year. You are supposed to earn at least 50%/year with his help

So apparently account won't be under your control and you won't know what transactions happened
so he makes money by selling a program. That's how he makes his money. Not from investing, but from sales. Get it? If he can bring in enough people he stands to make a lot of money, from selling his program, not from his investments. Oldest trick in the book.