VWO down 3.9%; EEM up .5%

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
cato

VWO down 3.9%; EEM up .5%

Post by cato »

These two developing country ETFs tend to track each other pretty closely. I c an get the IIV for EEM but not for VWO, so it's hard to tell what's happening. Anyone know?

I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity for TLH.
Citigroup delenda est.
astehn

Post by astehn »

I'm pretty sure that this involves some kind of data error (or a really strange market order at the end of the day?). If you look at the 5-day VWO chart on Yahoo finance, you can see that it had every appearance of closing around 19.05 at the end of yesterday, but then suddenly spiked to 19.98 (a very similar thing happened the day before), which goofed up the percentage-change figures.

So I think VWO and EEM are still tracking each other pretty closely--there's just been a couple of anomalous data points at close over the last couple of days for VWO, which throws off the percentages.
Harley

HVO

Post by Harley »

The IIV for VWO is HVO. In Yahoo quotes, you'd enter ^HVO (and ^EEM-IV for EEM).

I just noticed that today's change for the fund's IIV differed -- +0.85% for EEM-IV versus +0.26% for HVO.

Although they track the same index, VWO holds more than twice as many stocks (718 versus 317 for EEM). The Top 10 holdings make up 17% of VWO versus 26% of EEM.
Tramper Al

Post by Tramper Al »

Of the dozen or so broad and regional EM ETFs I track and sometimes use, they were all up >1-3% today, except for VWO, down -2.8%. I think there is more to it than "more stocks", though I don't know what. Seems like the wrong season for a distribution.
Topic Author
cato

Post by cato »

Thanks guys. No way I would have ever guessed ^HVO. Yahoo seems to use ^ETF-IV for every other ETF in the world seems to be
Citigroup delenda est.