Where would you put extra money after you fully fund Roth IRA

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bog72upCash

Where would you put extra money after you fully fund Roth IRA

Post by bog72upCash »

Hello,

Just wanted some opinions...

Extra money might come up after cutting back on some frivolous items in my budget...the amount isn't exactly known right now...but ROTH IRA would be fully funded....

Where would you put extra money (hopefully tax free upon withdrawal if there is such a thing after ROTH IRA)....??
retired@50

Re: Where would you put extra money after you fully fund Roth IRA

Post by retired@50 »

bog72upCash wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:34 pm Hello,

Just wanted some opinions...

Extra money might come up after cutting back on some frivolous items in my budget...the amount isn't exactly known right now...but ROTH IRA would be fully funded....

Where would you put extra money (hopefully tax free upon withdrawal if there is such a thing after ROTH IRA)....??
There is a wiki page to discuss the possibilities.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Priorit ... nvestments

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
birdog

Post by birdog »

What does the asset allocation section of your Investor Policy Statement say?

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investm ... _statement

For me, it’s buying VTI in a taxable account or cash in an online savings account depending on my current asset allocation.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

bog72upCash wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:34 pm Where would you put extra money (hopefully tax free upon withdrawal if there is such a thing after ROTH IRA)....??
The obvious place is in a retirement plan at work. If you don't have that, in a taxable account (ordinary personal account) at the brokerage of your choice.

Roth is limited for a reason. You will not find a lot of other ways to make money and not pay tax on it.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Lots of people have lots of money in "taxable" investment accounts. Often the investments are mainly stock index funds.

Some people like to have a stash of cash in CDs or such.

In some cases one might have individual tax deferred accounts of the SEP IRA or Individual 401k variety, but for that your income has to come from the right kind of self employment activities. I assume that is not the case here.

Other tax advantaged places to put money include college savings plans and health savings accounts.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Other options. Does your employer offer:

1) HSA - if so, max it out, invest and let it grow
2) 401K - if so, enough to get company match
3) 401K In-service withdrawls - if so, investigate Mega Back Door Roth process
4) 401K - continue contributing up to max annual amount (assumes good low cost fund selections)
5) After-Tax Account - Good low cost tax effecient index funds via Fidelity or Vanguard (Total Market and/or similar type)

Good Luck.
It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown