Is it possible to time the market to invest ?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Aspiringbogle

Is it possible to time the market to invest ?

Post by Aspiringbogle »

hi All,

I was asking yesterday about moving my company 401k with Merrill Lynch to Merrill Edge / Vanguard IRA.
After talking to the financial advisor of Merrill Lynch/Edge , I have the following options
1 Open a self directed IRA
2. Open an online managed IRA at 0.3 % fees because I am preferred rewards member.
3. Open a one on one advisory managed IRA at 0.7 % fees
4. Open a Roth IRA

As she reviewed my 401 k funds , she mentioned that almost all of the funds were proprietary and hence will have to be cashed out to the IRA except for one of small value and no penalty will be charged for cashing out.

Now since the funds wont transfer as is to the IRA , I am bit skeptical about cashing out the funds that are doing good in the current 401k .
The advisor did say that they don't advise to time the market but left to my discretion .

Is there a way we could time it , sell them high and hold them for a short while before funding the IRA at a low?
Is it advisable to cash out the 401k into the IRA during this time ?

Thanking in anticipation. .
ipdiddly

Re: Is it possible to time the market to invest ?

Post by ipdiddly »

To answer your initial question, you can only successfully "time the market" if your crystal ball is less than two years old. The older model crystal balls don't work and they are out of warranty. I think there are some good ones on Amazon. They had some great deals for Black Friday.
Fran K

Post by Fran K »

Aspiringbogle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm hi All,

I was asking yesterday about moving my company 401k with Merrill Lynch to Merrill Edge / Vanguard IRA.
After talking to the financial advisor of Merrill Lynch/Edge , I have the following options
1 Open a self directed IRA
2. Open an online managed IRA at 0.3 % fees because I am preferred rewards member.
3. Open a one on one advisory managed IRA at 0.7 % fees
4. Open a Roth IRA

As she reviewed my 401 k funds , she mentioned that almost all of the funds were proprietary and hence will have to be cashed out to the IRA except for one of small value and no penalty will be charged for cashing out.

Now since the funds wont transfer as is to the IRA , I am bit skeptical about cashing out the funds that are doing good in the current 401k .
The advisor did say that they don't advise to time the market but left to my discretion .

Is there a way we could time it , sell them high and hold them for a short while before funding the IRA at a low?

Thanking in anticipation. .
This is a classic Peter Lynch quote that I'm pretty sure you're going to find almost everyone here agrees with:

"more people have lost money waiting for corrections and anticipating corrections than in the actual corrections. I mean, trying to predict market highs and lows is not productive."

https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/inv ... ctions.%22
My name is Frank.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Aspiringbogle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm
Yes -- sell it now, since we are at all-time highs and high fees are worse than low fees

Hold it for zero days and reinvest it immediately into cheaper funds, because todays price will be cheaper than the price in 10 years (hopefully)

Lastly, don't blame me if in the 1-2 days you're out of the market the indices go up by 10%, but do thank me if they drop and you reinvest at lower prices
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

You don't know for sure that a low is coming. Even if one was, how would you recognize the bottom of the drop?

Don't worry about timing the move. If you decide a move is right for you, do it. Don't try to "sell at the top" and "buy at the bottom". You don't know when either of those points will arrive.

For entertainment and some inspiration, read the story of Bob, the World's Worst Market Timer.
Topic Author
Aspiringbogle

Post by Aspiringbogle »

Thank you all. That helps. :happy
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Aspiringbogle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm Now since the funds wont transfer as is to the IRA , I am bit skeptical about cashing out the funds that are doing good in the current 401k .
What you would be doing is not timing the market. You can sell a US stock fund from the 401(k), and buy a US stock fund in the IRA. If the market rises, both funds will have similar gains. (And if you sell a high-expense stock fund to buy a lower-expense stock fund, you want to do that as soon as possible, since you will gain the benefit of the lower expenses.)
Wiki David Grabiner
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Some form of simple TA is definitely possible, if not desirable even. SPX can be in a drawdown for a very long time and I don't see much wrong staying on the sidelines using TA.

Now, beating the market is a different matter altogether.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

I'd recommend only investing on days that end in "day". (That rules out tomorrow - at least until it becomes today). :beer