Current thoughts on PRIMECAP Core

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bebopdeluxe

Current thoughts on PRIMECAP Core

Post by bebopdeluxe »

Hello there. I want to rebalance a bit away from Vanguard International Growth - which has had a truly ridiculous run and, with names like TSLA and BABA at the top of the holdings list, has a bit more exposure to high-beta go-go stocks than I currently feel comfortable with. Looking at the other names that I own to rebalance into, the one that sticks out like a sore thumb is PRIMECAP Core, which has had thoroughly meh performance recently. The longer term performance is better, and I like the idea of moving a few bucks from VWILX to VPCCX. Due to recent performance, VWILX is by far my largest single stock fund holding.

Any current thoughts on PRIMECAP Core? Would this be a good fund to rebalance into? The other US funds I own with equity exposure are Total Stock Market, Extended Market Index, Dividend Growth, and Wellington. In addition to VWILX, I also own the Total International Stock Index Fund. IF there isn't high conviction in PRIMECAP Core, what other US funds look attractive on a risk/return basis right now?

Thanks.
catdoctor

Re: Current thoughts on PRIMECAP Core

Post by catdoctor »

I own it. I like it. I have no plans to sell it.
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

My wife owns it in her IRA, and it has been an ok performer past year or 2 as you said, certainly not as good as the original Primecap fund or Capital Opportunity fund, and I think it has lagged Total Stock the past 10 years? We've discussed when it is time to sell, that we will move it to Total Stock Market. We are not contributing any more funds to it. It does pay a nice year end distribution.

Post by 000 »

My basic thought is that the case for active management in large cap US stocks is very weak.