Baillie Gifford Investments

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bcc1234

Baillie Gifford Investments

Post by bcc1234 »

Has anyone invested in Baillie Gifford funds directly (purchasing through VG Brokerage)? They manage portions of some VG funds (Global Equity & International Growth). The fund I'm looking at is BGEKX.

We don't have any "true" international funds and our exposure is around 10%. We own Global Equity and Global Minimum Volatility.

I subscribe to Dan Wieners newsletter and he's a pretty big fan of this company. He's also a big Primecap fan - we've done pretty well following his advice.

bcc
Pandemic Bangs

Re: Baillie Gifford Investments

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Mixed performance for a few years, followed by a spectacular six months compared with the Vanguard index equivalent. Did this by any chance bring it to your or his attention? :D Seems like a good time to sell.

On M*, I see a minimum purchase of $10 million so I keep a few percent there :D.
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
chassis

Post by chassis »

I listened to a podcast with Slater of Baillie. I wasn’t moved to buy their investment product.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

I also saw how they manage some Vanguard active funds, so that piqued my interest. I can't say that I've studied them in-depth, but from what I've seen they seem like an above-average firm. As for BGEKX (rated Silver Quant by Morningstar), it seems like it went up so steeply in 2020, that it's due for a return to the mean, but who knows?
Powered by chocolate!
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

bcc1234 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am Has anyone invested in Baillie Gifford funds directly (purchasing through VG Brokerage)? They manage portions of some VG funds (Global Equity & International Growth). The fund I'm looking at is BGEKX.

We don't have any "true" international funds and our exposure is around 10%. We own Global Equity and Global Minimum Volatility.

I subscribe to Dan Wieners newsletter and he's a pretty big fan of this company. He's also a big Primecap fan - we've done pretty well following his advice.

bcc
They also recently took over ~10% management of International Explorer. Years late I'd say as VINEX has underperformed for a long time. 10% simply isn't enough to matter though, but perhaps if they prove themselves VG will give them more of the pie.

International Growth has crushed it lately. Ballie manages 2/3s of that fund... so they surely are part of the reason that fund has killed it.

As to your question OP, I remember doing the same thing, but with Schroders. I bought their fund directly after crushing it with a VG fund (I think Vinex) way back when (over a decade ago). Schroders was one of the sub managers and Weiner loved VINEX back then. So I went direct and bought Schroders Global fund. Long story short... it sucked. Just because a manager sub advises for a fund doesn't mean all its other funds crush it. Be careful.

With all that said, Ballie Gifford seems a good firm. Whether they'll act like the PRIMECAP folks and outperform for decades remains to be seen.
Last edited by sperry8 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH contests: 2020 #253 of 664 | 19 #233 of 645 | 18 #150 of 493 | 17 #516 of 647 | 16 #121 of 610 | 15 #18 of 552 | 14 #225 of 503 | 13 #383 of 433 | 12 #366 of 410 | 11 #113 of 369 | 10 #53 of 282
Vegomatic

Post by Vegomatic »

https://www.harborfunds.com/fund/HAIGX/overview

Above Harbor fund is now managed by Baillie Gifford, but performance of the B/G fund that you indicated and VWILX [Vanguard International Growth] look quite close, nearly identical. (Driving using my rearview mirror.)
MaxDOL

Post by MaxDOL »

You can look at one of their oldest flagship fund "Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust - SMT:LSE" for longer term past performance which trade on London stock exchange and also has similar holding to US domiciled fund " Baillie Gifford Long Term Global Growth - BGLKX".
https://www.google.com/finance/quote/SM ... AXoECAQQAw
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/in ... ePortfolio

I personally invest in UK domilciled Baillie Gifford Long Term Global Growth for the past 5 years and very satisfy with it performance.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I think this podcast will be of interest: https://ritholtz.com/2020/12/mib-tom-sl ... e-gifford/
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing