Anyone transferred funds from tax deferred IRA to pension plan to pay for service credit?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
beernutz

Anyone transferred funds from tax deferred IRA to pension plan to pay for service credit?

Post by beernutz »

Like the subject says, I am looking for experiences from anyone who transferred funds from tax deferred IRA to a pension plan to pay for additional service credit.

I am trying to do this at TIAA and the process is excruciating, going on 3 weeks now and probably consuming cumulatively 6 hours of phone calls. The last rep I spoke with today seemed to think that such a transfer couldn't be done but none of the other 6 or so reps have mentioned this.

I won't go into all the ups and downs encountered with TIAA trying to do this except to say they've burned though 20 years of goodwill with 3 weeks of incompetence.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Topic Author
beernutz

Re: Anyone transferred funds from tax deferred IRA to pension plan to pay for service credit?

Post by beernutz »

beernutz wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:03 am Like the subject says, I am looking for experiences from anyone who transferred funds from tax deferred IRA to a pension plan to pay for additional service credit.

I am trying to do this at TIAA and the process is excruciating, going on 3 weeks now and probably consuming cumulatively 6 hours of phone calls. The last rep I spoke with today seemed to think that such a transfer couldn't be done but none of the other 6 or so reps have mentioned this.

I won't go into all the ups and downs encountered with TIAA trying to do this except to say they've burned though 20 years of goodwill with 3 weeks of incompetence.
For anyone in a similar situation at TIAA my advice is to persevere. After numerous TIAA reps dropped the ball I was finally assigned a very competent case manager in the IRA division who completed the rollover of funds to my pension plan to pay for the service credit. If I had known what I know now I would have started insisting on a case manager at the first sign of trouble with the transaction.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers