Willing to share your Taxable Portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
BigMoneyNoWhammies

Re: Willing to share your Taxable Portfolio?

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies »

iudiehard1 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm Gobble Bogle,

This question has been asked, but during my search I haven’t seen very many people share their holdings and % for taxable accounts.

I am currently maxing out all the tax deferred and will be chunking a couple grand a month into a taxable account for years to come (God willing). I’m going to share my current allocation, but would rather hear what those with taxable accounts are doing?

50% - VOO
50% - WVIUX

I know you need to know more about me, etc...but if you are open to sharing with some color....it would be much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving
100% VTI. I think you'll find most here keep low cost index funds that don't throw off a lot of dividends in their taxable accounts unless they need to keep some of their bonds/target date funds in taxable to meet their asset allocation due to limits in the total dollar value of their tax advantaged accounts.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

BigMoneyNoWhammies wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:18 pm

This question has been asked, but during my search I haven’t seen very many people share their holdings and % for taxable accounts.

I am currently maxing out all the tax deferred and will be chunking a couple grand a month into a taxable account for years to come (God willing). I’m going to share my current allocation, but would rather hear what those with taxable accounts are doing?

50% - VOO
50% - WVIUX

I know you need to know more about me, etc...but if you are open to sharing with some color....it would be much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving
100% VTI. I think you'll find most here keep low cost index funds that don't throw off a lot of dividends in their taxable accounts unless they need to keep some of their bonds/target date funds in taxable to meet their asset allocation due to limits in the total dollar value of their tax advantaged accounts.
Plenty of retirees use dividends for living expenses. It depends on your age and life circumstances. Using dividends from taxable gives you a lower tax bill than withdrawing from a 401k, depending on your state income taxes (for those who are using dividends to pay bills). If you don't need to spend dividends and you reinvest them, then, yes, it's a tax drag. But if you need the money for your yearly spend, qualified dividends are taxed at the lower capital gains rate, and 401k withdrawals are taxed at your regular income tax rate.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:54 am
abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:37 am
anon_investor wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 am Excluding our play money allocation (which is in VGT and VUG), our taxable account is roughly:

60%: VDADX (Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index)
40%: VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index)

But over time the VTSAX percentage will increase significantly as we are not adding to VDADX (but reinvesting dividends, for now) and we are adding a healthy amount to VTSAX every pay check.

Although VDADX is not very BH, we like it and I view it as a tier of our emergency fund. At 100% qualified dividends and a dividend yield only slightly higher than VTSAX, it is not a terrible tax drag. I know it is a mental crutch, but we like how it is just a little less volatile than VTSAX.
I invested in Dividend Appreciation fund years ago. It is a good fund and I see nothing wrong with complimenting Total Stock if you are happy.
I am happy with it. Also because it is tax efficient, I see no reason to sell it and realize capital gains. Although, I am undecided if I want to continue to reinvest dividends. But overall it is less than 6.5% of my portfolio and shrinking (due to new contributions), so I do not worry about it too much. As they say, perfect is the enemy of good.
Indeed. At retirement you can have those dividends that have compounded for years credited to your checking account.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

67% VTI
7% SCHB (TLH partner for VTI)
12% VEA
10% VWO
2% ICLN
2% QQQJ
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

Non IRA total is 46% of our total portfolio. Of the 46% :

Wellington = 45%
Cash = 19%
Mid Cap Value Index = 16%
HY Corporate = 11%
Global Min Volatility = 9%

Roth = 10% of total portfolio.
Rollover IRA / 401k = 44% of total portfolio.

BCC
Taylor Larimore

Answer to question.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Katora wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:15 am
Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm

50% - VOO
50% - WVIUX

Happy Thanksgiving
iudiehard1:

Our only taxable fund for many years was Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (my favorite fund). As a result of tax-loss harvesting I now hold Vanguard 500 Index Fund (plus a small money-market fund for 500 dividends) in my taxable account.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "This business is all about simplicity and low cost. I'm not into all these market strategies and theories and cost-benefit analyses - all the bureaucracy that goes with business. In investing, strip all the baloney out of it, and give people what you promise."

Taylor:

I think this is exactly what I want to do.

I'm new to investing and 100% to Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSAX) is what I would like in my taxable account (I am currently filling all of my eligible tax-advantaged space). When I recently posted a portfolio review, the subject of tax-loss harvesting came up and after reading the Wiki, I figured that if tax-loss harvesting is needed, I could purchase Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX). I'm wondering if the "small money-market fund for 500 dividends" you use is the Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (Settlement fund) and do you then accumulate those dividends and invest in whichever fund is underperforming? Can it really be this simple? My current taxable account is 100% in the settlement fund because I can't seem to make a decision.

-Katara
Katora:

Yes, "it can really be this simple."

My taxable account is in a (taxable) trust. It is about 98% Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund. The remaining amount is in the Vanguard Cash Reserves Federal Money Market Fund (VMMXX). The trustees (my sons who ask my advice) use the MM fund to accumulate the S&P 500 dividends and for my withdrawals.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense."
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bcc1234 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:32 pm Non IRA total is 46% of our total portfolio. Of the 46% :

Wellington = 45%
Cash = 19%
Mid Cap Value Index = 16%
HY Corporate = 11%
Global Min Volatility = 9%

Roth = 10% of total portfolio.
Rollover IRA / 401k = 44% of total portfolio.

BCC
Interesting combo. What tax bracket are you in? Those are some pretty tax inefficient funds.
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

At Schwab, my age 60 still working full time. Spouse 55 working full time.
50% stocks
50% muni and cash

QQQ 299,000
DIA 149,620
SPY 3,036,644

VWITX 2,854,405
Cash 610,611

Total 6,950,291
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

anon - I admit Wellington got away from us a little. We've held it since the late 1980's. It's original intent was to pay for our kids college education and we were putting $$ in monthly. A career change allowed us to use yearly income to pay for college and not touch the Wellington account.

I'll be 59 by years end. With retirement in my sights, the Wellington Fund will be utilized because of it's higher cost basis. And yes, I realize I've been paying higher taxes over the years because of my higher tax bracket during my working years.

bcc
soccerbogle

Post by soccerbogle »

VWIUX - 42% (Intermediate Tax Exempt Bonds)
VTSAX - 51% (US Total Market)
Cash - 3.2% (Vanguard Money Market)

lottery tickets:
LI - 2%
NIO - 2.6%

I also have a car fund in a CD but that is not for investing.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bcc1234 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:12 pm anon - I admit Wellington got away from us a little. We've held it since the late 1980's. It's original intent was to pay for our kids college education and we were putting $$ in monthly. A career change allowed us to use yearly income to pay for college and not touch the Wellington account.

I'll be 59 by years end. With retirement in my sights, the Wellington Fund will be utilized because of it's higher cost basis. And yes, I realize I've been paying higher taxes over the years because of my higher tax bracket during my working years.

bcc
Ah that makes sense. I took the opportunity created by the December 2018 dip to exit the tax inefficient actively managed funds in my taxable account, replacing them with Vanguard index funds. I definitely noticed the difference on my subsequent tax returns.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

soccerbogle wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm lottery tickets:
LI - 2%
NIO - 2.6%
Why in a taxable account not a Roth IRA? If you are going to gamble like that may as well not pay any capital gains taxes, or did you buy more recently and are thinking you might have losses not gains?
ccf

Post by ccf »

What it is right now. I harvested VTI losses in March and got into REZ and VGT.

66% VGT (Vanguard Information Tech. Index)
12% Total Bond
12% REZ (iShares Residential and Multisector Real REIT)
10% I Bond
6% International

So far so good but I didn't stay the course and now I want to be back in Total Market and not VGT and REZ.

Taxable is 25% of my portfolio. My retirement accounts are all in Vanguard balanced funds and I never touch them.
Last edited by ccf on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Robert20

Post by Robert20 »

VUG 90%
VXUS 10%
Katara

Re: Answer to question.

Post by Katara »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:38 pm
Katora wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:15 am
Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm

50% - VOO
50% - WVIUX

Happy Thanksgiving
iudiehard1:

Our only taxable fund for many years was Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (my favorite fund). As a result of tax-loss harvesting I now hold Vanguard 500 Index Fund (plus a small money-market fund for 500 dividends) in my taxable account.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "This business is all about simplicity and low cost. I'm not into all these market strategies and theories and cost-benefit analyses - all the bureaucracy that goes with business. In investing, strip all the baloney out of it, and give people what you promise."

Taylor:

I think this is exactly what I want to do.

I'm new to investing and 100% to Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSAX) is what I would like in my taxable account (I am currently filling all of my eligible tax-advantaged space). When I recently posted a portfolio review, the subject of tax-loss harvesting came up and after reading the Wiki, I figured that if tax-loss harvesting is needed, I could purchase Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX). I'm wondering if the "small money-market fund for 500 dividends" you use is the Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (Settlement fund) and do you then accumulate those dividends and invest in whichever fund is underperforming? Can it really be this simple? My current taxable account is 100% in the settlement fund because I can't seem to make a decision.

-Katara
Katora:

Yes, "it can really be this simple."

My taxable account is in a (taxable) trust. It is about 98% Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund. The remaining amount is in the Vanguard Cash Reserves Federal Money Market Fund (VMMXX). The trustees (my sons who ask my advice) use the MM fund to accumulate the S&P 500 dividends and for my withdrawals.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense."
Thank you for the response Taylor, I truly appreciate it!

-Katara
"I will never, ever turn my back on people who need me."
cryingshame

Post by cryingshame »

Like many here, all of the non Vanguard funds that are listed here in our taxable were our pre-boglehead days.
Would like to sell all the funds that are not Vanguard but closing in on the ACA Clift.( Capitol gains issue) So were taking the bird in hand approach. We have 4 rental properties so hope to be able to manage a little longer with depreciation/expenses and our small business write offs.

VTBLX 9.25%
VTIAX 6.69%
VTSAX 47.22%
Well Fargo emerging markets 11.77%
First Trust Dow Jones Interne ETF 8.26%
First Trust Nasdaq Technology Index ETF 6.89%
First Trust Technology Alpahdex ETF 6.49%
Morgan Stanley 3.54%

We have pulled our expense ratio down on all our accounts down to an average aprox .20 . The no-vanguard funds range from 1.5 ish to .60 expense range. ( Grrrr) hopefully since tech has a nice run we did not get hurt quite as bad for now overall. Were 60 and 61, I don't know many options to improve our taxable until over the ACA Clift or 65...

It can get complicated to untangle from bad choices in taxable ....Watch your expense ratio !!!!!!!!!!!
Makaveli

Post by Makaveli »

OP, any conclusions for us? Did you get what you were looking for?
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Am about 50/50:

S&P 500 admiral
Intermediate Muni admiral

I don't remember the tickers. I hardly ever check it. Just leave them alone.
Topic Author
iudiehard1

Post by iudiehard1 »

Thanks for all the replies. Like most of the threads on BH, always a wide variety of strategies. I suspect I am guilty,like many, of over thinking my portfolio. I enjoy seeing how many have structured their portfolios and the taxable is new to me. I guess I am a Little surprised that tax free munis aren’t in many of the replies and really surprised to see Reits at all. But that’s not being critical, just goes against the research I read on tax favor status.

Thanks a million
Walk with the wise and become wise, for a companion of fools suffers harm. | SCHD 70% DGRO 30%
soccerbogle

Post by soccerbogle »

stan1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:30 pm
soccerbogle wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:56 pm lottery tickets:
LI - 2%
NIO - 2.6%
Why in a taxable account not a Roth IRA? If you are going to gamble like that may as well not pay any capital gains taxes, or did you buy more recently and are thinking you might have losses not gains?
I did buy them very recently (unfortunately, lol).

But your point is good. Roth IRA would've been a good place to do this. I guess one benefit to taxable is that maybe if they hit the mini lottery (as opposed to a TSLA lottery) that they can fund a new car purchase in 10-12 years. Also if they tank to close to zero I can get the tax benefits.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

75% stock index, 25% intermediate tax exempt.
John C. Bogle: "Never confuse genius with luck and a bull market".
stan1

Post by stan1 »

iudiehard1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:02 pm Thanks for all the replies. Like most of the threads on BH, always a wide variety of strategies. I suspect I am guilty,like many, of over thinking my portfolio. I enjoy seeing how many have structured their portfolios and the taxable is new to me. I guess I am a Little surprised that tax free munis aren’t in many of the replies and really surprised to see Reits at all. But that’s not being critical, just goes against the research I read on tax favor status.

Thanks a million
If 97 people out of 100 give the same answer that gives you some confidence; if 3 out of 100 gives you an answer you can consider it but maybe there's a reason the other 97 didn't do it.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I was overly complex for a while to have good TLH options but right now I am primarily holding VTSAX and VTIAX and putting all new taxable money in ITOT (Blackrock iShares Total Market).
parrish

Post by parrish »

Tax Managed Balanced Fund
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 am Excluding our play money allocation (which is in VGT and VUG), our taxable account is roughly:

But over time the VTSAX percentage will increase significantly as we are not adding to VDADX (but reinvesting dividends, for now) and we are adding a healthy amount to VTSAX every pay check.

Although VDADX is not very BH, we like it and I view it as a tier of our emergency fund. At 100% qualified dividends and a dividend yield only slightly higher than VTSAX, it is not a terrible tax drag. I know it is a mental crutch, but we like how it is just a little less volatile than VTSAX.
I invested in Dividend Appreciation fund years ago. It is a good fund and I see nothing wrong with complimenting Total Stock if you are happy.
I am happy with it. Also because it is tax efficient, I see no reason to sell it and realize capital gains. Although, I am undecided if I want to continue to reinvest dividends. But overall it is less than 6.5% of my portfolio and shrinking (due to new contributions), so I do not worry about it too much. As they say, perfect is the enemy of good.
The Vanguard High Dividend funds are closet Large Cap value funds. Yields are very good with 3.65% for US and closer to 4.00% with International.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

ccf wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:47 pm What it is right now. I harvested VTI losses in March and got into REZ and VGT.

66% VGT (Vanguard Information Tech. Index)
12% Total Bond
12% REZ (iShares Residential and Multisector Real REIT)
10% I Bond
6% International

So far so good but I didn't stay the course and now I want to be back in Total Market and not VGT and REZ.

Taxable is 25% of my portfolio. My retirement accounts are all in Vanguard balanced funds and I never touch them.
Investors can be their own worst enemy sometimes! Market timing often does not work. An investor has to be correct twice: once when to get out and once when to get in.

Total Market index investors know this and stay the course.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:39 am

The Vanguard High Dividend funds are closet Large Cap value funds. Yields are very good with 3.65% for US and closer to 4.00% with International.
I am actually holding Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index, which is a "dividend growth" strategy, and I think it is the index counterpart to Vanguard's actively managed Dividend Growth Fund. The dividend yield is only about 0.1% higher than VTSAX, but the dividends are 100% qualified, so it is pretty tax efficent. I would not want to have a fund that sheds 3%+ annually in dividends in my taxable account. Under current tax rates, combining Fed (LTCG)+State+NII, I would be paying 24.8% tax on those dividends.
AnesBH

Post by AnesBH »

Vanguard Total US Index
Vanguard Total International Index
Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-exempt Index
Vanguard Intermediate-Term Treasury Index

Vanguard money market acct

Dividends from each and weekly additions go into the sweep MM and once it reaches $10k I invest into one of the 4 based on my predetermined asset allocation as written in my IPS.

75/25 stocks/bonds, 70/30 domestic/foreign.

The neat tax lots makes things easy, works for us!
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

$200,000 VXUS
$50,000 NIO

The $50,000 is 'play' money. It's been invested in:

Small local bank
Apple
Bank ETFs
Barrick Gold Miners
Snowflake

I haven't made much since Apple. Got out too soon. 🤷. I've been sort of 'skating to where the puck WAS'.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

50% - VOO
50% - WVIUX

Happy Thanksgiving
Out joint taxable account is 100% in Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSAX).
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

At Vanguard.
--VTSAX (TSM)
--VFWAX (TISM)
--VWIUX (IT national muni), more after-tax income than local CDs, 3yrs of living expense as last tier of formal EFs.
--VWLUX (LT national muni), more after-tax income than TBM, major retirement bonds.

At Segall Bryant & Hamill.
--WTCOX (Colorado IT muni), more after-tax income than VWLUX, paired with VWLUX.

Target AA is 50/50.
--Have been funneling small new money into bonds in an attempt to keep up with market growth.

Small orphaned Roth is play money equities: LC, HC, REIT, SCV.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak »

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX)
Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX) (tax loss harvesting with VTSAX)
Vanguard Large-Cap Index Fund Admiral Shares (VLCAX) (tax loss harvesting with VTSAX)
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTIAX)
Vanguard Developed Markets Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTMGX) (tax loss harvesting with VTIAX)
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBTLX)
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

My taxable account contains my most tax-efficient holdings:

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX)
Vanguard Developed Markets ETF (VEA)
Vanguard FTSE All-World Ex-US Small-Cap ETF (VSS)
Vanguard Emerging Markets Index (VEMAX)
iShares MSCI Value Factor ETF (IVLU; I believe this is more tax-efficient than the Vanguard Factor Value ETF (VFVA) that I have in my Roth IRA).
Wiki David Grabiner
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

AMZN-Amazon
ACN-Accenture
AAPL-Apple
AYX-Alteryx
ADBE-Adobe
ETSY-Etsy
MKC-McCormick
TCEHY-TenCent
IDXX-Idexx
ACWV-iShares MSCI Global Min Vol Factor ETF
VWIAX-Vanguard Wellesley® Income Admiral™
FlyHighAnalyzeThis

Post by FlyHighAnalyzeThis »

Ours was simplified to the 3-fund portfolio a few years ago:

47% VTSAX
23% VTIAX
30% VBTLX
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have a lot of bad investments in taxable - Wellington, Puritan..But taxable started many years ago when I wasn't aware of tax implications and for some time taxes were low. From other hand tax deferred not tax free (Except Roth) - so you will need to pay taxes anyway, and each time when fund does CG distribution cost basis goes down, so you won't pay this tax in the future..
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

My taxable portfolio is about 43% of the total; it includes:
VTSAX: 58%
VFIAX from TLH: 4%
VTIAX: 36%
Cash (MM and value of ESPP) 2%. The MM serves as a 1 month ($10k) emergency fund and funds for 02 Jan IRAs. The ESPP gets sold and converted to something else twice a year.

Roth IRAs are 100% VTSAX and VTIAX

401(k); TSP; and NQDCP are all 100% total bond.
Gus Chiggins

Post by Gus Chiggins »

67% ITOT
33% CMF
Highfeehater

Post by Highfeehater »

VTSAX
VWIUX
VMRXX
All divs go to Federal MM Fund and are reinvested periodically to aid in rebalancing.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

VTI - 60%
VTEB - 20%
NYF - 20%
benway

Post by benway »

Last edited by benway on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Currently:

48.2% VTCLX (tax loss harvesting partner of VTSAX)
20.4% VFWAX (tax loss harvesting partner of VTIAX)
23.3% VWIUX
8.1% cash

The allocations in taxable are maintained so as to get to my overall target allocation for stock/fixed income split (on an automatic portfolio-size-based glidepath, currently about 75/25) and the domestic/international split (80% world market cap + 20% US) when combined with my tax deferred accounts (which are on full autopilot in target date funds), my Roth IRAs (which are 100% VTWAX), and a notional fixed income asset that represents the accumulated value of my mortgage principal prepayments.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Bear906

Post by Bear906 »

75% SCHR Schwab Intermediate-Term U.S. Treasury ETF
25% SCHG Schwab US Large-Cap Growth ETF

Currently, my taxable account is spillover from my Emergency Fund and its explicit goal is to keep me out of debt. I call it my "no worries" fund. It is capped at $65K, the value of (a) a replacement vehicle; (b) my worst two years of out-of-pocket medical expenses; (c) a 20% down payment on a house that I'll probably never buy, and (d) nine months of living expenses.

Anything over $65K in Taxable will be retirement funds and go into SWPPX.

The AA reflects the fact that I could need the money at any time. I've extensively backtested dozens of conservative portfolios and 25% VIGRX/75% VFITX hit the sweet spot for me in terms of historical return, volatility, and maximum drawdown. SCHG and SCHR are similar funds and have delivered similar returns. I could have used VUG and VGIT, too.

If the portfolio doesn't generate expected returns or is underfunded when I need it--no worries--I've got an 830 credit score. And I'm in the 12% Federal/4.25% state tax bracket, so no worries on the tax drag, either.
Eschew obfuscation.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

iudiehard1 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 pm I haven’t seen very many people share their holdings and % for taxable account
I don't think that percentage is an interesting or instructive breakdown. That percentage is the outcome of other factors and is not an interesting planning point and is probably why it is not discussed much.

In my case I would like to put all my bonds in my IRA but my AA has too many bonds to fit so the overflow goes into my taxable account, making the equity/bond ratio of my taxable account an after effect and not something I aimed for, nor should aim for.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
wetgear

Post by wetgear »

ITOT
IXUS
CMF
MUB
I bonds
EE bonds
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Sure.
50% SP500 fund.
50% intermediate muni fund.
Also, cash in a HYS account.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

80% VTSAX
20% VTIAX
Visitor76

Post by Visitor76 »

100% VTSAX
Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it's about having a lot of options.
Silversides

Post by Silversides »

50% equity: 60 VTI / 40 VXUS
50% bonds: BND

This is our second layer EF with 7 months of expenses. Primary EF is 4 months cash.

Everything else is in tax advantaged.
drk

Post by drk »

Percentages don't mean anything for taxable because all my ex-US funds are in tax-advantaged, but the account includes (most to least):

VTI
IJR
SCHX
[a token amount of employer stock]
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.