Question about a small position in rapidly appreciating Ex-US stocks

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Aw0k3n

Question about a small position in rapidly appreciating Ex-US stocks

Post by Aw0k3n »

Dear BH'ers
I am interested in having approx 10% position in rapidly appreciating Ex-US stocks. If I include this, then my portfolio will be allocated in following proportion:
Index total US (40%) + index total ex-US (25%) + small + total bond 20% + portion of a global REIT (5%).

I am okay with an actively managed fund since in my opinion, emerging markets and Asian markets may require additional discretion into which companies to invest in. Since I can not invest in such securities directly nor have the wherewithal to research the companies, I am okay letting a team of 'professionals' manage the choices.

2 options seems attractive to me (less the fees, which compared to rest of my passive index portfolio are pretty steep).
Artisan Developing world investor shares (ARTYX) {ER - gross - 1.36% and ER - net - 1.36%} or
Matthews Asia Dividend Fund Investor Class (MAPIX) {ER - gross - 1.03% and ER - net - 1.02%}
I am okay with the ERs (and not more) for this exposure to completely different group of equities.

Any experience or thoughts on these 2 choices? or other specific funds that may be recommended that I can look into?
Thank you in advance
Best wishes
A

PS: I did use the google search function of the forum to look into information on these tickers or fund co but did not find what I was looking for. There was one thread where some folks had mentioned MCDFX (Matthews china dividend) fund - but I don't want to be heavy on any one country so I am not in favor of that one. I did like the notion (as mentioned by hedgefundie =
3. China’s stock market can be sketchy and inefficient. This is one of the few remaining equity arenas where active management can shine, as evidenced by this fund’s significant outperformance since inception. The dividend focus in particular will screen for companies with real cash flows that are paid out to investors
) that if it is a dividend paying company it may have better financials than otherwise hence, I am using the same argument for a 'Asia' dividend fund rather than a 'China' dividend fund.
Tat tvam asi (thou art that)
TheLaughingCow

Re: Question about a small position in rapidly appreciating Ex-US stocks

Post by TheLaughingCow »

OP, I have similar goals to you, just with a different target allocation. I would like to have 100% of my portfolio in rapidly appreciating stocks.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TheLaughingCow wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:49 pm OP, I have similar goals to you, just with a different target allocation. I would like to have 100% of my portfolio in rapidly appreciating stocks.
May we all.
Topic Author
Aw0k3n

Post by Aw0k3n »

Any one have any additional insight on the 2 funds mentioned? Are there similar alternatives which may be superior?
LaughingStoic

Post by LaughingStoic »

ARTYX says ~29% of its holdings are based in the US. I understand what they're saying about "passport companies," but it seems odd to consider a fund that has ~40% of its holdings in the US, France and the Netherlands "Developing World," in my opinion.

https://www.artisanpartners.com/individ ... artyx.html

EYLD (CAMBRIA EMERGING SHAREHOLDER YIELD ETF) or IMTM (ISHARES MSCI INTL MOMENTUM FACTOR ETF) could be of interest..
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Aw0k3n wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 pm Dear BH'ers
I am interested in having approx 10% position in rapidly appreciating Ex-US stocks. If I include this, then my portfolio will be allocated in following proportion:
Index total US (40%) + index total ex-US (25%) + small + total bond 20% + portion of a global REIT (5%).

I am okay with an actively managed fund since in my opinion, emerging markets and Asian markets may require additional discretion into which companies to invest in. Since I can not invest in such securities directly nor have the wherewithal to research the companies, I am okay letting a team of 'professionals' manage the choices.

2 options seems attractive to me (less the fees, which compared to rest of my passive index portfolio are pretty steep).
Artisan Developing world investor shares (ARTYX) {ER - gross - 1.36% and ER - net - 1.36%} or
Matthews Asia Dividend Fund Investor Class (MAPIX) {ER - gross - 1.03% and ER - net - 1.02%}
I am okay with the ERs (and not more) for this exposure to completely different group of equities.

Any experience or thoughts on these 2 choices? or other specific funds that may be recommended that I can look into?
Thank you in advance
Best wishes
A

PS: I did use the google search function of the forum to look into information on these tickers or fund co but did not find what I was looking for. There was one thread where some folks had mentioned MCDFX (Matthews china dividend) fund - but I don't want to be heavy on any one country so I am not in favor of that one. I did like the notion (as mentioned by hedgefundie =
3. China’s stock market can be sketchy and inefficient. This is one of the few remaining equity arenas where active management can shine, as evidenced by this fund’s significant outperformance since inception. The dividend focus in particular will screen for companies with real cash flows that are paid out to investors
) that if it is a dividend paying company it may have better financials than otherwise hence, I am using the same argument for a 'Asia' dividend fund rather than a 'China' dividend fund.
If I knew which stocks were going to rapidly appreciate, I would just put all my money in them.

Maybe you recognize this and are just talking about momentum though, I can't really tell.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
Aw0k3n

Post by Aw0k3n »

Perhaps my use of “rapidly appreciating” is detractor in my question. My intention was to highlight ‘growth stocks’
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Aw0k3n wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am Perhaps my use of “rapidly appreciating” is detractor in my question. My intention was to highlight ‘growth stocks’
You could consider this Vanguard fund. International Growth - ER .43% https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWIGX

It's had a good year so far, so it's not exactly a bargain, but who knows what the future holds.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

retired@50 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am
Aw0k3n wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am Perhaps my use of “rapidly appreciating” is detractor in my question. My intention was to highlight ‘growth stocks’
You could consider this Vanguard fund. International Growth - ER .43% https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VWIGX

It's had a good year so far, so it's not exactly a bargain, but who knows what the future holds.

Regards,
Is that the one that has positions in Tesla, etc? i.e. active management, US stocks?

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
Tencent Holdings Ltd.
ASML Holding NV => Dutch
Tesla Inc. => USA
MercadoLibre Inc.
M3 Inc.
Meituan
Kering SA
Nidec Corp.
Spotify Technology SA => Swedish

It certainly is not doing what the label implies.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am
It certainly is not doing what the label implies.
Yes, Tesla is included. The fund page shows 13.7% in North America, which of course, includes USA.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.