Transferring money between my Vanguard accounts

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Toast_the_Knowing

Transferring money between my Vanguard accounts

Post by Toast_the_Knowing »

I have two Vanguard accounts - a brokerage account and a Roth account. I would like to fund my 2021 Roth contribution from money that is in my brokerage account. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks
retired@50

Re: Transferring money between my Vanguard accounts

Post by retired@50 »

Toast_the_Knowing wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:40 am I have two Vanguard accounts - a brokerage account and a Roth account. I would like to fund my 2021 Roth contribution from money that is in my brokerage account. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks
Does the Roth account also operate on the Vanguard brokerage platform? In other words, does it have a settlement account?

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Toast_the_Knowing wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:40 am I have two Vanguard accounts - a brokerage account and a Roth account. I would like to fund my 2021 Roth contribution from money that is in my brokerage account. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks
toast

Are you aware you could add a local bank to your account?

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/MyHome

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/XHTML/ ... file.xhtml

go to:

Bank information

add bank account

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/XHTML/BankSummar

once you add your linked bank accounts you can purchase directly and draw cash into the Roth Contribution for the year eligible.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Sure, the Vanguard user interface supports this. One thing I do is have the dividends from my taxable account pay into the settlement fund (not reinvested) and that means there's some cash available at the end of the year to make a Roth IRA contribution on Jan 1.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Thanks
Here's one way to do it online.

From My Accounts, scroll down to your Taxable brokerage account
Click on "Buy and sell" and choose the "Exchange (buy to sell) Vanguard funds" option.
In the section "1. Where's the money coming from", select the fund to take money from (likely your settlement fund).
Enter the amount and click on Continue.

In the section "2. Where's the money going?", select the Roth account and the fund you want to contribute to.
Note: it should show you the yearly contribution maximum, how much you've contributed so far, and how much left to contribute.
Enter the same amount you entered earlier and click on Continue.
Agree to the prompt about the prospectus. Maybe even read it! :)
Next screen will show a summary of what you're requesting.
Double check it that it indicates you're making a contribution for the right year and amount, then click Submit.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Responses are assuming you have earned income from work in 2021.
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

A related or same question.
Does an investment account act like a bank account? For example, my account at bank A is linked to a Fidelity account and also to a Vanguard account. May I invest in the Fidelity account by withdrawing fund from the Vanguard account, and vice versa, without going through bank A? I am not talking about transferring assets in kind.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 pm A related or same question.
Does an investment account act like a bank account? For example, my account at bank A is linked to a Fidelity account and also to a Vanguard account. May I invest in the Fidelity account by withdrawing fund from the Vanguard account, and vice versa, without going through bank A? I am not talking about transferring assets in kind.
you have to link your Fidelity to your Vanguard account, since I don't have a Fidelity currently I can't confirm that.

In my Vanguard account, I am able to link two banks to my Vanguard accounts and have transfer to and from.

If you follow my instructions above you should be able to link your accounts or attempt to establish the connection.
Topic Author
Toast_the_Knowing

Post by Toast_the_Knowing »

Yes, the Roth account is with Vanguard.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

When in doubt, call Vanguard and request that they make the exchange for you.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

In your example, you could sell a Vanguard fund (via Vanguard online account or app) and have the proceeds sent to your bank account. Wait some time for the transfer to settle. Next buy a Fidelity fund (via Fidelity online account or app) to pull $ from your bank.

No you can’t directly move money from Fidelity to/from Vanguard, short of submitting an asset transfer request. So, no, in that sense your investment account is not like a bank account.

That said, Fidelity does offer a Cash Management Account, which may be more like a bank account than a regular brokerage account. I don’t have a CMA so I don’t know how it works or if you could have Vanguard pull (ACH) money from it.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

sycamore wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am
In your example, you could sell a Vanguard fund (via Vanguard online account or app) and have the proceeds sent to your bank account. Wait some time for the transfer to settle. Next buy a Fidelity fund (via Fidelity online account or app) to pull $ from your bank.

No you can’t directly move money from Fidelity to/from Vanguard, short of submitting an asset transfer request. So, no, in that sense your investment account is not like a bank account.

That said, Fidelity does offer a Cash Management Account, which may be more like a bank account than a regular brokerage account. I don’t have a CMA so I don’t know how it works or if you could have Vanguard pull (ACH) money from it.
That is the way I do, but it takes about 2 days for the fund show up in my bank account. Somebody in finance told me that I have to wait for the fund in the bank to use it, e.g., buy in Vanguard. Otherwise, illegal.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I have funded it in two ways:

1) linked a bank account to vanguard and then did an electronic funds transfer.

2) transferred money from a settlement account in account A to account B

You can always mail a check too. There are many ways to gund the account.

Good luck to you
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Fidelity, and likely other brokers, support a brokerage account as a linked bank account. At Vanguard you would establish a linked bank account using a destination routing number and account number as described on the Determine Your Routing and Account Numbers web page at Fidelity.