Selling Physical gold - any advice for best option

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
dryflyguy

Selling Physical gold - any advice for best option

Post by dryflyguy »

I have 4 ounces in total of gold via Canadian maple leaf coins from years ago - split up as a 1 ounce coin....2 1/2 ounce coins 4 1/4 ounce coins and 10 1/10th ounce coins. What would be the best method to sell these and receive an amount the closest to the current spot price of gold ?
eldplanko

Re: Selling Physical gold - any advice for best option

Post by eldplanko »

The legitimate big online buyers are safe: APMEX and JM Bullion. They’ll lock in a spot price, you box up, ship and insure. Once they receive and confirm, wire to your account. Simple and best price. A local dealer will gouge you over spot and probably not be able to buy any real volume... you want a high volume dealer.
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

Some local dealers rip you a lot but I found one that was an hour away that was actually really fair. Close enough that is was worth it to me to sell local and not deal with shipping it and wiring money.

Especially since you are not dealing with a large quantity
Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out »

Are the coins worth more than the gold price in coin form? Collectors items. Especially for the smaller coins.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Doubtful for a maple leaf, but possible. Are they the old 999 pure coins or 9999? That 4th 9 shouldnt make much difference, but people seem to prefer the four 9 fine. So you may get a touch less money for a 999 variant.

Id see what the online buy back price is from a few of the major sites. Then see if you can get real close to that locally. Shipping costs would be minimal for this amount of gold.
Mark | Kent, WA