529 Performance Chart Error

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
hotelcalifornia

529 Performance Chart Error

Post by hotelcalifornia »

I just checked my portfolio performance tonight and was alarmed to see the chart on my moderate/aggressive age-based 529 education accounts indicating a nearly 100% loss. I checked and the balance remains more or less unchanged from previous weeks, no new transactions. Anyone else currently having issues with their education account?

Update: After looking closer I see there was an automatic conversion on some 529 funds including the ones I was in on 10/30. Still don't see why that conversion should throw the performance chart so out of whack though.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: 529 Performance Chart Error

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

everytime I complain about technology to my friend who's in tech, he merely says "Man, this stuff is really hard."

that gives me confidence.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
rkhusky

Re: 529 Performance Chart Error

Post by rkhusky »

hotelcalifornia wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 pm Update: After looking closer I see there was an automatic conversion on some 529 funds including the ones I was in on 10/30. Still don't see why that conversion should throw the performance chart so out of whack though.
The stock market has done well since 10/30. Probably just a glitch in their programming - e.g. substituted $0 in for yesterdays close or something like that.