Fidelity $75 fee for Vanguard Funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Eleanor852

Fidelity $75 fee for Vanguard Funds

Post by Eleanor852 »

Hello all. I use Fidelity for everything and wanted to buy into Vanguard funds as per advice.
The fee is $75 for each fund.
Does anyone else use Fidelity and pay this fee or alternatively, can anyone recommend Fidelity funds that are comparable to the 3 VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX funds?
Thank you in advance.
KT785

Re: Fidelity $75 fee for Vanguard Funds

Post by KT785 »

Just buy the ETF equivalents of those funds (VTI, VXUS, and BND). No fee to purchase Vanguard ETFs at Fidelity, and you can now purchase fractional shares (at least via Fidelity’s mobile app).

KT785
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

jjunk

Post by jjunk »

VTSAX -> FSKAX
VTIAX -> FSPSX (or FZILX)
VBTLX -> FXNAX

Alternatively, you can use the free trade iShares ETFs as well.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

In my taxable account, I exclusively fidelity/ishares ETFs or MFs. However in my Fidelity 401K, I prefer mutual funds so I can put my payroll contributions on autopilot, and not worry about manual ETF purchases there.

Out of my positions in 401K, I do have two Vanguard funds, due to a lack of an "inexpensive" fidelity MF equivalent for these two specific factors.
Intl Large Value (VTRIX)
Intl Small Blend (VFSAX)

Based upon the quantity I have in those two funds, a $75 initial fee is not significant.
My subsequent b-weekly payroll purchases into these two funds (or any sales if I need to rebalance), have no fees.

Post by 123 »

I have paid the $75 fee on a couple of traditional IRA accounts. I decided that a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund was a perfect 100% holding in each account so all it took was a single very large purchase in each account and the fee was immaterial in the total scheme of things. Because I am basically cheap I would seek an alternate fund/ETF if I expected to make multiple purchases in an account rather than pay $75 each time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

123 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:01 pm I have paid the $75 fee on a couple of traditional IRA accounts. I decided that a Vanguard LifeStrategy fund was a perfect 100% holding in each account so all it took was a single very large purchase in each account and the fee was immaterial in the total scheme of things. Because I am basically cheap I would seek an alternate fund/ETF if I expected to make multiple purchases in an account rather than pay $75 each time.
You all may be knowing this: you only pay $75 on the purchases... the sells are no cost.

Post by 1789 »

KT785 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:37 am Just buy the ETF equivalents of those funds (VTI, VXUS, and BND). No fee to purchase Vanguard ETFs at Fidelity, and you can now purchase fractional shares (at least via Fidelity’s mobile app).

KT785
+1
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
matti

Post by matti »

Eleanor852 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 am Hello all. I use Fidelity for everything and wanted to buy into Vanguard funds as per advice.
Does anyone else use Fidelity and pay this fee or alternatively, can anyone recommend Fidelity funds that are comparable to the 3 VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX funds?
Thank you in advance.
Hello. This summer, my employer switched from Vanguard to Fidelity as its retirement account custodian. So, I ended up paying the $75 fee to buy the Vanguard fund I have my retirement dollars in (VFORX) (via Fidelity BrokerageLink). I didn't know about the no-fee ETF option, as others have noted in this post, however! (I sure learn a lot on this site!)
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

matti wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:18 pm
Eleanor852 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 am Hello all. I use Fidelity for everything and wanted to buy into Vanguard funds as per advice.
Thank you in advance.
Hello. This summer, my employer switched from Vanguard to Fidelity as its retirement account custodian. So, I ended up paying the $75 fee to buy the Vanguard fund I have my retirement dollars in (VFORX) (via Fidelity BrokerageLink). I didn't know about the no-fee ETF option, as others have noted in this post, however! (I sure learn a lot on this site!)
I have accounts with both, but in Fidelity, I only buy their funds and ETFs (with my IRA account).
With my plan, the Fidelity BrokerageLink does not allow ETFs and Vanguard funds (it is not part of FundsNetwork), so I only buy Fidelity funds which I can find Vanguard equivalents for all the things I want to buy.
matti

Post by matti »

Thanks.

I did look at Fidelity's Vanguard equivalents, but I've been so comfortable with Vanguard funds over the years that I decided to pay the fee to stick with them. This was not the most cost-efficient decision, but it made me feel comfortable.
prioritarian

Post by prioritarian »

Thank you in advance.
Fidelity has equity indices that are "infinitely" cheaper than these Vanguard funds or any well-traded ETF.

VTIAX ER 0.11%
FZILX ER 0%

VTSAX ER 0.04%
90% FNILX+ 10% FZIPX ER 0%

Fidelity also has a bond fund that is 50% cheaper than the Vanguard fund.
VBTLX ER 0.05%
FXNAX ER 0.025%
Last edited by prioritarian on Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Most of my investments are in Vanguard funds, so I'm not anti-Vanguard, but I do think it's weird this allegiance to them to the point where people would pay a fee like that.

Buy the Vanguard ETF instead or buy the Fidelity mutual funds. No reason to pay that exorbitant fee, and my understanding is that unless future purchases are set up to be automatic, each new purchase also pays that same $75 commission? I honestly think Fidelity has better mutual funds than Vanguard anyway. Their fees almost across the board are lower.

I do though firmly believe you shouldn't buy mutual funds in taxable just over the portability concern and ETFs being slight more tax efficient anyway.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

If you want funds - go with the Fidelity funds mapped above. They track nearly the same and have the same or better expense ratios.
If it is in an IRA you can look at the "Zero" Expense ratio funds at Fidelity as an alternative.
If you are okay with ETFs look at iShares:
prioritarian wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:02 pm
Thank you in advance.
Fidelity has equity indices that are "infinitely" cheaper than these Vanguard funds or any well-traded ETF.

VTIAX ER 0.11%
FZILX ER 0%

VTSAX ER 0.04%
90% FNILX+ 10% FZPIX ER 0%

Fidelity also has a bond fund that is 50% cheaper than the Vanguard fund.
VBTLX ER 0.05%
FXNAX ER 0.025%
I believe you mean FZIPX in place of FZPIX - but for the OP - why not just FZROX in place of VTSAX (instead of FNILX and FZPIX). Far simpler and tracks VTSAX almost identically.

OP: if you are okay with ETFs look at iShares. ITOT for VTSAX, etc.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Thank you in advance.
The equivalent Fidelity Funds are listed in the bogleheads wiki here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-f ... head-style
(the iShares ETF equivalents I mentioned above are listed there as well)
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Just buy the store brand wherever you are shopping for index funds.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thank you in advance.
Don't use Vanguard funds, because of the $75 fee.
infotrader wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:37 am (3) Fidelity funds similar to specific Vanguard funds? - Bogleheads.org

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Also see the wiki article Fidelity.

In an account at Fidelity you can used the similar Fidelity index funds, Vanguard ETFs, or BlackRock iShares ETFs.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
tfb

Post by tfb »

The fee used to be $75. It's $49.95 now.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

tfb wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:28 pm
Even at $49.95, it's still very un-Boglehead to pay this much. Use Vanguard ETFs or Fidelity mutual funds and spend the $50 on something useful.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

retired@50 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Even at $49.95, it's still very un-Boglehead to pay this much. Use Vanguard ETFs or Fidelity mutual funds and spend the $50 on something useful.

Regards,
I agree. It is very un-BH to do it.
Although I have a flagship account with Vanguard, I don't buy their MF anymore.
I still have 2 funds: about 100 dollars in VHCOX (capital opportunity, just in case I want to buy it again) and VGHAX (health care, I have been trying to replace it with VHT and PRHSX).
At Vanguard, I buy ishares, vanguard ETFs. At Fidelity, ishares, vanguard, and fidelity etfs.
I can basically close my vanguard account, but leave it for now since there are still a few things I want to buy in Vanguard that are not available at Fidelity or have very high initial minimum.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

When I tried to place an order for a VG mutual fund at Fido, it still shows $75 commission. What am I missing?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Why would anybody pay money to buy a Vanguard mutual fund at Fidelity? That makes no sense.

Buy a Fidelity mutual fund, or buy a Vanguard ETF. A third option would be to buy an iShares ETF.

But don't buy a Vanguard mutual fund. They're not "better" than the other three alternatives.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Some folks keep saying buy ETFs but many (most? all?) cannot buy ETFs in tax-deferred space at Fidelity despite all the suggestions to do so.

Maybe OP should differentiate between asking about taxable and tax deferred.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I paid it for convenience a couple of times to buy some big chunks (hundreds of thousands of dollars) of VBIAX // vanguard balanced index fund admiral class.
There was no equivalent in Fidelity, and I liked the 7-basis=point ER. I liked it better than the Fidelity Freedom Index funds (though now I own some of these also).
You just don't want to make a habit of it.
tfb

Post by tfb »

Explorer wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 pm
When I tried to place an order for a VG mutual fund at Fido, it still shows $75 commission. What am I missing?
Sorry. Fidelity's fee for other transaction-fee funds is lowered to $49.95. I guess the fee for Vanguard funds is still $75.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Thank you in advance.
SCV threads have discussed this issue before

viewtopic.php?p=4287264#p4287264
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm Why would anybody pay money to buy a Vanguard mutual fund at Fidelity? That makes no sense.

Buy a Fidelity mutual fund, or buy a Vanguard ETF. A third option would be to buy an iShares ETF.

But don't buy a Vanguard mutual fund. They're not "better" than the other three alternatives.
I think that Vanguard is part of the BHness, so you need to buy Vanguard stuff no matter what.
Chip

Post by Chip »

F150HD wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 pm Some folks keep saying buy ETFs but many (most? all?) cannot buy ETFs in tax-deferred space at Fidelity despite all the suggestions to do so.

????

Perhaps you're talking about 401ks? I'm pretty sure my regular IRAs at Fidelity are tax deferred and I own ETFs in them.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

infotrader wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:26 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm Why would anybody pay money to buy a Vanguard mutual fund at Fidelity? That makes no sense.

I think that Vanguard is part of the BHness, so you need to buy Vanguard stuff no matter what.
I think you're right.
tj

Post by tj »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am

I think you're right.
I think that's silly. You can be BH at several brokerages.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Eleanor 852 has all accounts at Fidelity. So they should buy the best funds available there without extra transaction fees. So that would be Fidelity index funds, Vanguard ETFs or BlackRock iShares ETFs.

I personally do think that Vanguard has better funds, but also think that avoiding extra transaction fees is critical.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

tj wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:10 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:27 am

I think you're right.
I think that's silly. You can be BH at several brokerages.
Of course. I engage in boglehead investing practices using accounts at Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

heyyou wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm Just buy the store brand wherever you are shopping for index funds.
+1
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Fidelity funds distribute capital gains. Most Vanguard funds do not. Should check to see whether tax costs out-weigh purchase fees.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Chip wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 am
F150HD wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 pm Some folks keep saying buy ETFs but many (most? all?) cannot buy ETFs in tax-deferred space at Fidelity despite all the suggestions to do so.

????

Perhaps you're talking about 401ks? I'm pretty sure my regular IRAs at Fidelity are tax deferred and I own ETFs in them.
????

workplace 457/403/401 seen comments on this board of folks having only access to funds, not ETFs

I do not have ETF access thru my workplace plan.
prioritarian

Post by prioritarian »

F150HD wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 pm
Chip wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:20 am

????

????

workplace 457/403/401 seen comments on this board of folks having only access to funds, not ETFs

I do not have ETF access thru my workplace plan.
Fidelity pioneered "BrokerageLink" which allows people with 403bs, 401as, and 457bs to trade. If your governmental or non-profit organization does not allow "BrokerageLink", it's entirely their choice and increasingly rare (based on the many educators and profs who are friends or family).
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

This is what prevents me from moving my Vanguard account to Fidelity. I do purchase VTEB in Fido, but there’s nothing else in the world exactly like VWITX and VWALX.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thank you in advance.
What type of accounts do you have at Fidelity (401k, traditional IRA, Roth IRA, taxable brokerage account, etc.)?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

prioritarian wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 pm Fidelity pioneered "BrokerageLink" which allows people with 403bs, 401as, and 457bs to trade. If your governmental or non-profit organization does not allow "BrokerageLink", it's entirely their choice and increasingly rare (based on the many educators and profs who are friends or family).
have used BLink for a few years, its awesome. Only funds are available to me. No ETFs. Maybe that will change in time, dunno.

Fido has a decent fund selection though so its not a huge issue to me currently.

Thanks.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Is the $49.95 fee a recent change not yet reflected in Fidelity’s fee disclosure?

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /922908728
Fidelity’s fee footnote for non-Fidelity funds says the fee for online purchases is either $49.95 or $75 then says to check the particular fund’s fee disclosure. VTSAX’s fee, linked above for example, is shown as $75. VBTLX fee is also disclosed as $75.
tfb

Post by tfb »

HomeStretch wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:06 pm
Is the $49.95 fee a recent change not yet reflected in Fidelity’s fee disclosure?

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutua ... /922908728
Fidelity’s fee footnote for non-Fidelity funds says the fee for online purchases is either $49.95 or $75 then says to check the particular fund’s fee disclosure. VTSAX’s fee, linked above for example, is shown as $75. VBTLX fee is also disclosed as $75.
It's used to be $75 for all transaction-fee funds. Then it changed to $49.95 for some funds. I thought it was $49.95 for all funds. Apparently Vanguard funds are still $75.
eldplanko

Post by eldplanko »

Went through this recently with FIDO, if you go the vanguard ETF route, depending on how much the transaction is, make sure they don’t get you on the spread... a few cents on a big transaction quickly adds up to $75.
prioritarian

Post by prioritarian »

F150HD wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm
prioritarian wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 pm Fidelity pioneered "BrokerageLink" which allows people with 403bs, 401as, and 457bs to trade. If your governmental or non-profit organization does not allow "BrokerageLink", it's entirely their choice and increasingly rare (based on the many educators and profs who are friends or family).
have used BLink for a few years, its awesome. Only funds are available to me. No ETFs. Maybe that will change in time, dunno.

Fido has a decent fund selection though so its not a huge issue to me currently.

Thanks.
The decisions to only allow funds is not part of brokerage link per se. You may want to ask your HR/Retirement Benefits people to change this decision. (Note: I have even traded vehicles that use leverage in my 457b account which is kind of weird.)
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

prioritarian wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks.
The decisions to only allow funds is not part of brokerage link per se. You may want to ask your HR/Retirement Benefits people to change this decision. (Note: I have even traded vehicles that use leverage in my 457b account which is kind of weird.)
tried that in past, to no avail. Now that one can buy partial ETF shares....maybe things will slowly change.
prioritarian

Post by prioritarian »

F150HD wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:24 pm
prioritarian wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks.
tried that in past, to no avail. Now that one can buy partial ETF shares....maybe things will slowly change.
Things are definitely changing -- I know a lot of educators/academics who have recently seen Fidelty become their primary custodian specifically due to the availability of brokeragelink.